Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blackste
    • By blackste 26th May 17, 5:42 PM
    • 996Posts
    • 601Thanks
    blackste
    ...A new door opens
    • 26th May 17, 5:42 PM
    ...A new door opens 26th May 17 at 5:42 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5115532

Hi there.

Well, this is my second attempt at a mortgage diary. The first one kind of died a death after a good start, although the actual money saving, and overpaying did continue.
    The last one died, in part due to the wife having almost zero support for clearing the mortgage, and then further on the breakdown of the marriage.

So, on to pastures new. We are currently in the process of splitting up. The timing seems appropriate for starting a new diary, as yesterday, after several months of searching, I signed for a shiny new home. Completion is due around October/November. Im not going to lie, the size of the mortgage is a bit scary, and even in the current heatwave, I have had 2 days of cold sweats. Haha.

We are both still living in the marital home, until wife sorts money out to buy me out. Hopefully, this is in the next week or two, and then its back to my mum and dads for a few months. Im kind of dreading this, but at the same time, im incredibility grateful, as it will allow me to save quite a bit of money towards furnishing the new house.

Im leaving our home with a lump sum of £50000, and she is paying £2000 from my credit card. The deposit (15%) and costs are basically going to eat up £47900, leaving me £2100.
    I have around £500 in savings, plus £270 in back pay due next month. Moving back to my mums should allow me to save around £1000 per month, and allow me to buy some things for the house in the mean time. I also have some funds in my company SIP which are available to sell if needed, around £1500 at the moment, and increasing by £300pm.

Im not going to do a SOA right now, as im pretty much in between lives right now.

The new mortgage is a 2 years fix at 1.59%, 85% LTV for 26 years. (70!!) and im lending £242500, which, frankly, is terrifying. But I want to move to a new area, and the market there is very challenging, and expensive. Good houses sell in a matter of hours, and everything is overpriced IMO, but thats how the market works.

My medium term plan is to round up the mortgage payment from £946 to £1000 as my standard payment. Its an easy overpayment, that after a few months I wont even notice, and I do like a round number. Things will be a little tight until Nov 2018, as I leased a car which is now way too expensive. It was perfectly fine with a joint income, so serious downsizing next year will free up around about £250pm, and still leave me with a nice car.

I also need to build up an emergency fund. The initial target is £1000, which if im honest, is nowhere near enough, and a big target. Im a pretty bad saver. Always have been. Give me a debt to manage, and im fine. Long term target will be £5000.

I have a few debts to clear, nothing horrific, about £3900 on 0%. If that can be gone by completion, that will be a nice thing to have.

After that debt is gone, the mortgage will be getting more focus. I tend to do a bank sweep around 5 days per week currently, which going forward will be paid monthly from the mortgage.
    I intend to look at ways to increase my income a little without solid time commitments, which I can also earn without paying tax, as im already a high rate payer. If possible, I would love to be able to earn £50 per month, via cashback, vouchers, surveys and whatever means I can.

I would love to hear from you guys how you boost your incomes, and tips and tricks for those little savings.
    (i have produced this on 4 hours sleep in 3 days, so bear with me)
    Mortgage £242500 on completion
    FD CC 11/2014 £5900 (£3900 after BT)
    FD loan Approx £5700

Deeply depressing total - £254100
Page 1
    • bubblycrazy
    • By bubblycrazy 26th May 17, 7:40 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    bubblycrazy
    • 26th May 17, 7:40 PM
    • 26th May 17, 7:40 PM
    Best of luck with your new adventure, and good luck living with the parents for a few months!
    MFW - Original balance 28/08/2014 £52850
    Original MF date: 2049 Aiming for: 2025
    Balance 28/04/2015 £52250
    Balance 27/07/2016 £49990
    Balance 12/11/2016 £49400
    Balance 01/02/2017 £48899
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 26th May 17, 7:49 PM
    • 10,614 Posts
    • 55,091 Thanks
    edinburgher
    • 26th May 17, 7:49 PM
    • 26th May 17, 7:49 PM
    I suspect that you'll be glad to get back to your own place before long. I spent 3? months at my parents after a relationship breakdown (not a marriage, but we had been together for 7 years and were cohabiting). They were perfectly polite and welcoming, but it was a very strange experience to come back to the family home after a decade!
    • blackste
    • By blackste 26th May 17, 8:06 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    • 26th May 17, 8:06 PM
    • 26th May 17, 8:06 PM
    Yeah its not something im looking forward to if im honest. However, its very kind of them to have me back, so one must not complain too much. Thats my dads job. Luckily, i have good friends that have made plenty of offers for weekend stays, so that should ease the pain.
    FD loan Approx £5700

• BISCUIT1
    • By BISCUIT1 26th May 17, 9:10 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    BISCUIT1
    • 26th May 17, 9:10 PM
    • 26th May 17, 9:10 PM
    Good luck! I am about 5 months behind you in terms of sorting all my things out under the same circumstances. Can't wait to start and get organised and will be looking to start my own diary as like you no point previously when only one half committed to it all...onwards and upwards!!
    • blackste
    • By blackste 28th May 17, 12:02 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    • 28th May 17, 12:02 PM
    • 28th May 17, 12:02 PM
    Best of luck with it Biscuit, tough times ahead, but coming out of the other side and rebuilding your life is a great feeling.

Hi All.

A terribly unmoneysaving week so far. Lots of spending, but mostly essentials.
    £1000 resevation fee for new house
    £350 to get the solicitors to do some work on searches.
    £15 on food and wine for a friends BBQ (worth it though for good times)

On the plus sides
    Cl!xsense at $4.89 from a few quick surveys
    Withdrew £12 to paypal from cashback sites
    bought an Ev3 matress for £220 delivered, down from £600

Am concidering leaving my current bank and moving to one who give more financial rewards. Im with FD at the moment, and the customer service is amazing, but i can switch to The Trustees Saving Bank, and get £130 cashback, and £10 per month. Im very temped, but am concered about changing with a mortgage application ongoing. Thoughts?
    Also, few bank sweeps has added about £3 to the savings.
    FD loan Approx £5700

• edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 28th May 17, 12:08 PM
    • 10,614 Posts
    • 55,091 Thanks
    edinburgher
    • 28th May 17, 12:08 PM
    • 28th May 17, 12:08 PM
    I'm not sure if I would leave FD. I did, recently tried to open a new account and was told 'computer says no' despite the fact that I earn 50% more than I did when the original account was opened and I now own a house vs. renting.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 28th May 17, 12:19 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 28th May 17, 12:19 PM
    • 28th May 17, 12:19 PM
    You should move up here. £50k could buy you a flat or be a 50% deposit on a nice 2 bed house in an area with beautiful countryside, the seaside is 10 miles away and it has one of the lowest rates of crime in the UK.
    • blackste
    • By blackste 28th May 17, 1:42 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    • 28th May 17, 1:42 PM
    • 28th May 17, 1:42 PM
    I'm not sure if I would leave FD. I did, recently tried to open a new account and was told 'computer says no' despite the fact that I earn 50% more than I did when the original account was opened and I now own a house vs. renting.
    Originally posted by edinburgher
    Hmm thats food for thought. I really like that customer service with FD, and that has always been my top priority, but now money is a little tighter. Maybe some kind of money switching jiggery pokery would be a better idea.
    FD loan Approx £5700

• blackste
    • By blackste 28th May 17, 1:44 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    You should move up here. £50k could buy you a flat or be a 50% deposit on a nice 2 bed house in an area with beautiful countryside, the seaside is 10 miles away and it has one of the lowest rates of crime in the UK.
    Originally posted by Tarambor

Hi Tarambor, where is "here"? Im guessing knowwhere near Manchester, which would make my commute horrific
    FD loan Approx £5700

• Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 28th May 17, 1:57 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 4,250 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Hi

I have been with FD since the year dot - within 1 year of it starting up and l would never dream of leaving.

I have in the past opened new accounts (Halifax) when they paid £5 per month for some standing orders going out.

I would look at how many standing orders the TSB require to run their account and then look to transfer that number from your FD account to the TSB.

Or, you open a FD savings account. - just need to have a product to be with them.

Or, you make one of the TSB standing orders to FD, where the standing orders on the bills remain.

Play around a bit before closing your FD account! Very hard to get it back once it is gone.
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    • blackste
    • By blackste 29th May 17, 2:11 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    Yeah i think you guys are right. I do love FD, great customer service is important to me. Some money switching seems a better option.

A quiet and lazy day for me. Sorted a few things out ready for moving out. Im not taking lots of stuff, ready for a fresh start when the new house is built.
    I did spend some time "window shopping" on the builders website, laughing at some of the prices for upgrades to the house. £600 for an induction hob which i can buy and fit myself for £480+CB. That was one of the better option as well. They want over £2300 for spotlights in the kitchen, dining room and bathrooms (about 20 spotlights).
    Completed a few surveys on CS for a few more dollars. If i make make £20pm on this for the time im spending, im ok with that.
    A quick shopping trip to MrT, and BM for meals for work this week. I knew i was saving some money meal prepping for work, rather than buying in work. I was averaging £5.60 for 2 meals, but prepping my own, making better quality, healthier food cost me £4.80. This will come down further when i move to my own place, as i can bulk buy.

Hope all are having a nice rainy bank holiday.
    FD loan Approx £5700

• blackste
    • By blackste 31st May 17, 9:40 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    Evening all.
    2 x 12 hour day shifts, so not a huge amount done MFW wise.
    Couple of surveys on CS, up to $11.50 and very painless so far.
    2 NSDs as both breakfast, lunch and teabags for brews were taken with me. Cheaper and healthier. Yay me.

On the spendy side, £352 left my account for search fees for the new house.
    Taking my son to see it tomorrow, he is really excited, which is awesome, as i thought he would find it all harder. Kids are durable things.
    FD loan Approx £5700

• blackste
    • By blackste 3rd Jun 17, 2:23 AM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    Hi there.
    Last of my night shifts here. Another 2 days of no spends, which is great.
    All food preprepared (dinner and breakfast as well as brews) so no spending in work, which makes me happy. It was also one of the guys birthdays, so he had to bring cakes in (KK donuts) nom nom.
    Off to visit a friend in Pontefract straight from here in the morning, so it will be a pub tea, and a pint whilst watching the football. Not too expensive though.
    Also i need fuel in the morning, so a friend is letting me use his costc0 card to fill up, which i believe is 3p per litre cheaper than the others nearby
    Also in spendy news, Son broke his mobile phone screen. Its not terrible, but i dont want him to cut himself on it, and after last weeks Darwin moment, it needs fixing. £70 bill early next week.
    No further house news specifically, except that im humming and harring about getting them to install wardrobes. They are very well priced, but i cant afford them right now really. Save now, and spend later? (they will cost about £300-500 more later).
    Too many choices right now.

Hope you are all well.
    FD loan Approx £5700

• Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 3rd Jun 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 6,530 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Bad news re the phone screen! They are so easy to smash accidentally it's frustrating!

With your fitted wardrobes, have you considered looking at getting your own and installing them? We got quotes from a few very reputable companies but took the measurements to Ikea and saved £1-£1.5k that way and got exactly what we wanted, just a bit more manual labour involved. I guess it depends on the space you had to put them in but it's worth a thought?

Enjoy the footie and pint!
    Emergency savings- £3005. /£4000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90% end date Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £1292.90/ £2150. 60%
    Jan- £68.21, Feb- £306.67, March- £272.01 April-£324.05 May £120.33 June £201.63
    • blackste
    • By blackste 4th Jun 17, 9:49 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    Evening all.

Kitten, the beers were most certainly enjoyed. Built a shed for my friend that afternoon, so they were earned. I was regretting them on sunday morning however. I agreed to do some last minute overtime, so had to be up at 5 to get to work in time. Slightly sore head.

So moneywise.
    Beers and tea in the pub ended up coming to around £38. More than i planned, but i dont drink often, so it all balances out.
    Sunday overtime should net me about £300 after tax, so im super happy about that. Wont arrive until mid july though. Half to savings, half to a credit card. I also spent a quid in the canteen today on some bacon, as friends OH sent me to work with some home made protein pancakes, fruit and goodies. Bacon and pancakes with honey was too much to resist.
    Good times.
    FD loan Approx £5700

• blackste
    • By blackste 6th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    Evening all.
    Bit of a spendy 2 days
    Had to pick up a few groceries yesterday, which ended up at nearly £18. However, i was due to take the mother for lunch, but we decided to stay in, and i cooked, so that balanced out a bit.
    Today i did my weekly (8 daily actually) shop to get my meal ingredients for work. Grand total for 4 shifts worth of breakfast and lunch is £4.43 per day. Not too bad at all. It will come down when i move into my new place (october).
    Got some more Cl!xsense stuff done, which takes me to just under $18. Im going to do this until the end of the month, then switch to swagbuck i think. CS seems to hassley now for withdrawals.
    Also, i started doing some stuff on pr0lific, which seems decent. Only started today, and im on £2.45 for 2 surveys. Yay me.

New house stuff is ticking along, i think i have more fees to pay this week which is a blow. Its payday next week, so that leaves me fairly skint until then.
    Oh well.
    FD loan Approx £5700

• blackste
    • By blackste 9th Jun 17, 9:39 AM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    Morning all.

Well a busy few days since the last post here.
    2x 12 hour days shifts were a nightmare. Super busy days. Pays the bills though. Both days Were no spends though.
    Got past $20 on cl!xsense with a few easy surveys.
    Been more focused on pr0lific the last 2 days, and now at £3.60 with £7.75 pending.
    In house news, i have been informed that soon to be ex' mortgage has gone through, and a cheque has been released to me. The cheques in the post apparently ( haha one of lifes 3 great lies) so the next few days are going to focus around packing my bags, and heading to my parents. Very mixed feelings about it all. Happy to move on to the next stage of my life, and the adventures it will bring, but very sad that a marriage is ending, im losing having my son full time, and that i have put blood sweat and tears in to this house. Will miss my cat as well. Life is full of ups and downs though, and i always try to focus on the positives.
    2 night shifts coming up tonight and tomorrow. Not looking forward to them massively, but my mate, who was on holiday last week, is back, so some good laughs to be had. No doubt lots of talk on the election results as well, which is always interesting.

Hope you are all well.
    FD loan Approx £5700

• blackste
    • By blackste 12th Jun 17, 10:16 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    Evening all.
    Things are a bit hectic right now. Im busy packing my life in to boxes, ready for the disappointing move to my parents. haha. Its kind of sad to see how few boxes my life fits in to. On the plus side, i dont have tons of clutter.
    Had a lovely afternoon with my son, his friend, my sister and the nephews and niece. Its 1 nephews 6th birthday on friday, and i cant make the party due to work. I took them all for waffles and milkshakes to make up for it. Lovely new shop opened last week near me. Much fun, and calories were had by all. Sent me back £30 though.

Withdrew a months work from cl1xsense today. A grand total of $22.57. Im leaving them for now, as i think overall, sw4gbucks are a better option. Also been focusing on pr0lific, and doing quite a bit better. They surveys seem more....interesting.
    Last day of the financial month for me tomorrow, and i have a grand total of £168 left this month. Not bad considering i have spent over £550 on fees for new house things. Going to put £100 into the save pot, and pay £68 from cc. Im due some back pay this month, about £270 i think. Probably split it 50/50 savings/cc.
    I also have to do a work shop tomorrow, but im only working 3 days this week, so that should be about £15.

oh nearly forgot, spent £230 on train and ticket for "summer in the city" in London in August. Will be getting half of that back from my friend, for her and her daughter. Will be a fun day out though.

Have fun.
    FD loan Approx £5700

• blackste
    • By blackste 14th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    blackste
    Good day/bad day

Evening all.

Fairly mixed bad today. Been in work on a training course, so 8 hours, as either overtime or Leau time. Have to sort with my boss tomorrow to confirm which.
    While on said training course, i received an email from my mortgage adviser, requesting to payment for his excellent work. £350 well spent, but a bill i could manage without right now. Ho hum.
    Got home, and first job of opening the mail turned up a cheque for £50000 !!! hurrah, buyout money from wife arrived, so its full on pack my bags and !!!! off time.
    Got straight on the phone, cancelled plusnet and sky, so not much more to do finance wise.
    In other news, cl1xsense money went in to skr1ll, and they wanted £5 to transfer £17 to my bank. It ended up costing £2 to pay it off CC, so thats the way it went. Sadly thats the end for cl1xsense, as skrill is daylight robbery.
    Overall not a bad day.
    FD loan Approx £5700

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,552Posts Today

7,934Users online

Martin's Twitter