Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • book12
    • By book12 21st May 17, 12:07 PM
    • 2,511Posts
    • 554Thanks
    book12
    New Xbox out by the end of the year
    • 21st May 17, 12:07 PM
    New Xbox out by the end of the year 21st May 17 at 12:07 PM
    A new Xbox (Project Scorpio) is coming out near the end of the year. More details to be revealed at E3 on 11 June, where we will know what the console looks like, price, release and preorder date, etc...

Rumours indicate that it will be more than £500.

Reading some articles it disappoint me because:

1. Most people haven't heard of the new console coming out (despite articles about the being out along time ago).
    2. People aren't interested in getting one (including people who already have a 4k tv with 'Xbox One S). They don't see or feel much difference between the One S and Scorpio when comparing the specs.
    3. Too expensive for a games console.

Specs of the console cam be viewed here - http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/project-scorpio

In my opinion it's a good console to buy despite the rumoured price. If buying a first games console and want an Xbox instead of Playstation, go for and wait for the Scorpio. Worth while in the long term and worth the wait. If you don't want to spend that much or want an Xbox now, go for the Xbox One S, as at the end of the day it serves the purpose that you can play games on it.

Anyone here would want to upgrade their Xbox 360, Xbox One, or Xbox One S for the new Xbox? Anyone with Xbox One S with a 4k or HD tv, will you be upgrading to the new Xbox? Anyone buying their first game console and decide to buy an Xbox, will it be the Xbox One S or Scorpio?
    Last edited by book12; 21-05-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 21st May 17, 3:02 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 21st May 17, 3:02 PM
    • 21st May 17, 3:02 PM
    1) Really anyone interested in gaming know of the Scorpio. On the XB1 sub-Reddit it gets plenty of articles and discussions. Everyone knows.

2) Yes they are.
    • SRRAE
    • By SRRAE 21st May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SRRAE
    • 21st May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 21st May 17, 5:01 PM
    3. taking in to account inflation games console like the Neo Geo AES (£900 console money now and £200 a game) and the Pansonic 3DO (about £1100 in todays money) were much more expensive.

I don't think there is much hype because its only a very small portion of console gamers who want more powerful consoles and they are very delusional that they are going to get a great 4K experience. PCs with 2 £900 graphics cards in a £2000 computer struggle to get modern games running at 4K at a good consistent frame rate so I don't know how people thing a games console with a card less powerful than a GTX 1070 can manage it.

Consoles pro over PCs is their ease of use and consistency, however with these other iterations consoles are going to lose out on the ease of use and consistency but still fall somewhat short of a PC experience.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 21st May 17, 5:46 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 21st May 17, 5:46 PM
    • 21st May 17, 5:46 PM
    The Xbox One S will remain the mainstream console while Scorpio offers a high end alternative for those that want higher performance, the Xbox One/PS4 generation showed that for many people big numbers are more important than anything. With a growing number of cheaper 4k TV's there's going to be demand for '4K' consoles.

I'm hoping it means an expansion of the Play Anywhere program as there's very few games on it right now but the system works extremely well.

John
    • EJS_Superted
    • By EJS_Superted 21st May 17, 8:28 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    EJS_Superted
    • 21st May 17, 8:28 PM
    • 21st May 17, 8:28 PM
    I will not be buying a new console anytime soon, I am yet to get my moneys worth out of my xbox one, the games line-up so far has been pretty disappointing in my opinion. Graphics and 4k are irrelevant unless there's some great games to make use of it.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 21st May 17, 9:27 PM
    • 29,507 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 21st May 17, 9:27 PM
    • 21st May 17, 9:27 PM
    Not for me, the cost is 1 factor and the fact the One S I bought last year still has alot of life in it so dont see the point.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 29-05-2017 at 1:04 PM.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 24th May 17, 4:40 PM
    • 15,085 Posts
    • 8,517 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 24th May 17, 4:40 PM
    • 24th May 17, 4:40 PM
    A new Xbox (Project Scorpio) is coming out near the end of the year. More details to be revealed at E3 on 11 June, where we will know what the console looks like, price, release and preorder date, etc...

1. Most people haven't heard of the new console coming out (despite articles about the being out along time ago).
    2. People aren't interested in getting one (including people who already have a 4k tv with 'Xbox One S). They don't see or feel much difference between the One S and Scorpio when comparing the specs.

Specs of the console cam be viewed here - http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/project-scorpio

In my opinion it's a good console to buy despite the rumoured price. If buying a first games console and want an Xbox instead of Playstation, go for and wait for the Scorpio. Worth while in the long term and worth the wait. If you don't want to spend that much or want an Xbox now, go for the Xbox One S, as at the end of the day it serves the purpose that you can play games on it.

Anyone here would want to upgrade their Xbox 360, Xbox One, or Xbox One S for the new Xbox? Anyone with Xbox One S with a 4k or HD tv, will you be upgrading to the new Xbox? Anyone buying their first game console and decide to buy an Xbox, will it be the Xbox One S or Scorpio?
    Originally posted by book12
    1. Gamers know. And no doubt Microsoft will have a massive advertising push as they near go live. It certainly wont be a soft launch

2. There will be people interested, but likewise the XBox One (S) is fit for purpose for most people

3. For new edge gaming technology, its relatively cheap especially when you look at historical prices.

There will be a move over time to Scorpio. It might take years, but it will happen. Thats what Microsoft want and its what they did with the XBox One as top tier, then the 360 beneath it for some time. They'll let the market decide when the XBox One should be dropped.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • Billy101
    • By Billy101 29th May 17, 7:56 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Billy101
    • 29th May 17, 7:56 AM
    • 29th May 17, 7:56 AM
    Nah man. Be it scorpio or One S. Xbox sucks for me. I will never spent any dime on this machine ever.
    • Billy101
    • By Billy101 29th May 17, 8:03 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Billy101
    • 29th May 17, 8:03 AM
    • 29th May 17, 8:03 AM
    And btw, people know and they read about the next console or a game. They are always reading.
    • jonmoneybags
    • By jonmoneybags 30th May 17, 1:52 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    jonmoneybags
    PS4 sucks the fat one
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 3rd Jun 17, 6:34 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

Originally posted by book12
    Why would it disappoint you just because most people haven't heard of it and people aren't interested in getting one (both very subjective statements anyway)?
    • jpowell123
    • By jpowell123 8th Jun 17, 10:24 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jpowell123
    Project Scorpio better be the best system its released to compare with the switch whatever Sony puts up at E3.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 29,507 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Looking at the specs I'm definitely not getting one plus the cost is putting me off considering imo it isn't much of an upgrade.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 13th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    • 25,890 Posts
    • 13,699 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Looking at the specs I'm definitely not getting one plus the cost is putting me off considering imo it isn't much of an upgrade.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Price will put people off just like with PS4 pro and ps vr. I am sure whichever out of Sony and Microsoft was last in deciding to make an upgrade console only did so because they heard the other was going to.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 14th Jun 17, 11:14 PM
    • 10,937 Posts
    • 8,206 Thanks
    unholyangel
    The scorpio is decent - 4k 60fps natively with 6 tflops just for 4k rendering (putting it on par with high-end pc GPU), 8 core processor @ 2.3ghz, and although they're planning on their own VR headset (or "mixed reality as they call it), theres a lot of talk Occulus or HTC could have their headsets supported on it.

Downside is the £450 price tag. Sure the PS4 pro isn't as good (4k 30fps natively with 4.2 tflops & 8 core processor @ 2.1ghz) but its £100 cheaper. That being said, PC gaming proves there are people willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money just for slightly improved graphics/performance so no doubt both consoles will have their buyers.

Must admit I am thinking about upgrading but I'm still running the vanilla xbone & ps4 so would be more of an upgrade for me than someone who's already upgraded. I'm not desperate to upgrade though as outlay would be £1000 (for console & 4k tv as I dont have one presently, would be over £1500 if including VR!) and personally, there has been a lack of noteworthy games released thus far. If that changes then I might be more motivated.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 15th Jun 17, 12:58 AM
    • 25,890 Posts
    • 13,699 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    The scorpio is decent - 4k 60fps natively with 6 tflops just for 4k rendering (putting it on par with high-end pc GPU), 8 core processor @ 2.3ghz, and although they're planning on their own VR headset (or "mixed reality as they call it), theres a lot of talk Occulus or HTC could have their headsets supported on it.

Downside is the £450 price tag. Sure the PS4 pro isn't as good (4k 30fps natively with 4.2 tflops & 8 core processor @ 2.1ghz) but its £100 cheaper. That being said, PC gaming proves there are people willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money just for slightly improved graphics/performance so no doubt both consoles will have their buyers.

Must admit I am thinking about upgrading but I'm still running the vanilla xbone & ps4 so would be more of an upgrade for me than someone who's already upgraded. I'm not desperate to upgrade though as outlay would be £1000 (for console & 4k tv as I dont have one presently, would be over £1500 if including VR!) and personally, there has been a lack of noteworthy games released thus far. If that changes then I might be more motivated.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Did you know the vr headset can be used to watch movies also. I believe it gives the illusion of watching on a big screen. So it's not just about games. Having said that they are still too pricey.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 15th Jun 17, 5:59 AM
    • 10,937 Posts
    • 8,206 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Did you know the vr headset can be used to watch movies also. I believe it gives the illusion of watching on a big screen. So it's not just about games. Having said that they are still too pricey.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Could get the same effect by sitting too close to the telly and sticking a blanket over the tv & myself

Well, not quite. But still, as you say - pricey. Especially for the content available for them right now. I think its got good potential but then so did the kinect - it just wasn't used or developed to its full potential imo. Little more than a voice remote in most cases. Even thats kind of pointless for me because half the time it doesn't understand my accent. Admittedly its better than nintendos voice recognition though.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 15th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    phillw
    Nah man. Be it scorpio or One S. Xbox sucks for me. I will never spent any dime on this machine ever.
    Originally posted by Billy101
    I've never owned a MS console, but I also haven't bought into the PS4 yet. I don't play games often, so PS3 has years of life left for me. The biggest annoyance now is UHD bluray, if Sony had supported them then it would be a no-brainer.

With XBox One X supporting UHD bluray and being more powerful, means that as soon as they are cheap enough then I'll probably buy one.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 15th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    While technically it's possible to watch films in VR, it's pretty much useless - the resolution of the VR headset is in practice very low because the screens are right in front of your eyes so it's like watching a film on a very low resolution budget device. Also the current VR headsets are bulky and not comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

John
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 15th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Like the PS4 Pro, the weak processor looks like it will hold Scorpio back as it's only had a small bump in speed compared to the GPU. This means the likes of Gears of War 4 which is getting an 'X' update to 4K for the new console is still locked at 30fps for Horde compared to 60fps on the PC and it's a very noticeable difference.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,245Posts Today

8,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin