Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jkbc90
    • By Jkbc90 19th May 17, 6:41 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Jkbc90
    First time buyer - temporary agency contract
    • 19th May 17, 6:41 PM
    First time buyer - temporary agency contract 19th May 17 at 6:41 PM
    Hi everyone

Has anyone successfully got a mortgage through nationwide (or elsewhere) on a temporary contract through an agency? Nationwide have said we will be accepted but would love some advice or stories of past experiences from real people. We have had an offer accepted (115k) we have the deposit and all in all we are good to go. Any other temp workers that have been able to secure a mortgage? It feels too good to be true.

(Main income is 22k, excellent credit score, no defaults or late payments etc, been in the job for 16 months and it's an ongoing contract)
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 19th May 17, 7:32 PM
    • 14,919 Posts
    • 7,507 Thanks
    ACG
    • 19th May 17, 7:32 PM
    • 19th May 17, 7:32 PM
    I have had one and it was with Nationwide.
    But as I say a lot on here, the devil is in the detail. One person being accepted does not mean the next person will be even if their situations appears on the face of it to be identical.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Muneyman
    • By Muneyman 19th May 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Muneyman
    • 19th May 17, 8:36 PM
    • 19th May 17, 8:36 PM
    I would recommend a broker really but try NatWest. 12m min though and income is average of last six. Assuming you're a agency not fixed term contractor. Nationwide mostly cheaper so I don't honestly think you'll do better.
    • easilydistracted
    • By easilydistracted 22nd May 17, 5:12 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    easilydistracted
    • 22nd May 17, 5:12 PM
    • 22nd May 17, 5:12 PM
    I would definitely try a broker. When I bought with my partner most places were incredibly picky about lending on a temp contract. Nationwide messed us about royally but did eventually lend based on my partner having had at least one temp contract renewal and a year left to run. This was about a year ago.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 22nd May 17, 6:19 PM
    • 53,853 Posts
    • 46,637 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 22nd May 17, 6:19 PM
    • 22nd May 17, 6:19 PM
    and it's an ongoing contract)
    Originally posted by Jkbc90
    People are employed on a temporary basis for a reason. The end can often be very sudden. What's your notice period?
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,782Posts Today

9,156Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin