sipp question

Options
hi newbie so sorry if this goes over old ground,
have a stakeholder pension with aviva, not my main one as I have an occupational pension and am still working
Stakeholder was set up thru financial advisor who still services it but I have come to time where I think I should cut costs and maximise growth.So am thinking in terms of a sipp.
However changing to drawdown from stakeholder product will entail no costs when I drawingdown at retirement age.
my question is do all sipp providers charge for regular/ lump sum payments at drawdown?
(something to take into consideration for transfering to a sipp)
seem to me you cannot win as there are charges to consider whichever way you go.
ta in advance.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    my question is do all sipp providers charge for regular/ lump sum payments at drawdown?

No.................
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stakeholder was set up thru financial advisor who still services it but I have come to time where I think I should cut costs and maximise growth.So am thinking in terms of a sipp.

And the SIPP is cheaper?

Stakeholders have become niche but charges are around 0.45% p.a. at the moment (fund and product). How does that compare with your potential SIPP and investment choice? (and remember not to compare pension fund AMCs with UT/OEIC AMCs. You have to compare pension AMCs with UT/OEIC OCFs).

No. Some do. Some don't. It really depends on their charging models. Some providers target different types of customer and price accordingly.
    seem to me you cannot win as there are charges to consider whichever way you go.

You surely were not expecting it for free?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    sonicman wrote: »
    hi newbie so sorry if this goes over old ground,
    have a stakeholder pension with aviva, not my main one as I have an occupational pension and am still working
    However changing to drawdown from stakeholder product will entail no costs when I drawingdown at retirement age.
    (something to take into consideration for transfering to a sipp)
    ta in advance.
    Some do, some don't. HL for instance don't.

Download Snowman's spreadsheet to compare platforms, he's got a section for drawdown charges:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5583030
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport