Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 16th May 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4,623Posts
    • 9,743Thanks
    iammumtoone
    healthy ready made snacks, is there such a thing?
    • 16th May 17, 3:02 PM
    healthy ready made snacks, is there such a thing? 16th May 17 at 3:02 PM
    I am looking for suggestions for as healthy as possible, ready made, just grab from the cupboard snacks. Like you can crisps and biscuits. I am not sure there is such a thing

Fruit would be ideal but I don't like it

I would prefer something you can buy but I am happy to make my own as long as it will last/keep a week, I don't want to be making/preparing something every day.

Many thanks
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

Page 1
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 16th May 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    ariarnia
    • 16th May 17, 3:09 PM
    • 16th May 17, 3:09 PM
    Can you define healthy for me?

Low fat, low carb, low sugar, low salt, low calorie, high in vitamins... what's the priority?
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 16th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 4,887 Posts
    • 32,737 Thanks
    joedenise
    • 16th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 16th May 17, 3:14 PM
    Hummus with vegetable sticks - you can get low fat versions if you prefer.

Cherry tomatoes which you can just pop in your mouth.

Low fat or fat free yoghurts.

Hard boiled eggs are nice to snack on too but probably no good if you want them to take to work!

For something sweet, meringues aren't too bad as long as you don't eat loads!

HTH.

Denise
    • mai_taylor
    • By mai_taylor 16th May 17, 3:23 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    mai_taylor
    • 16th May 17, 3:23 PM
    • 16th May 17, 3:23 PM
    Popcorn, cereal bars. I like light babybels as a quick snack.
    • Teapot55
    • By Teapot55 16th May 17, 3:25 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Teapot55
    • 16th May 17, 3:25 PM
    • 16th May 17, 3:25 PM
    Pickled onions.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 16th May 17, 3:44 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 16th May 17, 3:44 PM
    • 16th May 17, 3:44 PM
    Can you define healthy for me?

Low fat, low carb, low sugar, low salt, low calorie, high in vitamins... what's the priority?
    Originally posted by ariarnia
    Not sure really, I am not worried about fat/carb/calorie content.

I eat too many crisps and biscuits which definitely aren't healthy and want to get away from that.
    The reason I eat them is because I don't like fruit and they are easy to grab when I get home from work before I have to rush out again.

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 16th May 17, 3:47 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 16th May 17, 3:47 PM
    • 16th May 17, 3:47 PM
    Some great suggestions thanks.

If I popped some corn, how long would it keep fresh in an air tight container. Same as if I cut up carrot battens how many days would they keep in the fridge? if I kept them in water would they keep a week?

• ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 16th May 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    ariarnia
    • 16th May 17, 3:54 PM
    • 16th May 17, 3:54 PM
    They are easy to grab when I get home from work before I have to rush out again.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    A couple of suggestion:

If you pop your own popcorn, you can top it with low salt, paprika, cinnamon or nutritional yeast (a vegan product that tastes 'cheesy' and is 'healthy'). You can then keep this in an airtight tub or ziplock bags to grab like a bag of crisps.

Flapjacks or hobnob type biscuits are slow release carbs and can be home made with reduced fat and processed sugar - use honey - and the addition of fruit/seeds/nuts adds protein and interest and they keep happily for more than a week.

A tub of greek yogurt topped with a small handful of cereal is high in protein - so keeps you full - while also being a good source of calcium. Low fat greek yogurt or natural yogurt can be sweetened with honey and flavoured with essences.

Any feedback might prompt more/different/better ideas but I hope something here helps
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 16th May 17, 4:41 PM
    • 4,033 Posts
    • 8,989 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 16th May 17, 4:41 PM
    • 16th May 17, 4:41 PM
    I like fruit but it doesn't like me so I know what you mean.

I am okay with dried fruit like apricots and dates etc. I also like nuts, walnuts are a particular favorite. High protein snack bars. Tinned fish, keeps for ever and quick to open and eat.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 16th May 17, 5:50 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 2,663 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Puzzled by the 'I don't like fruit' bit - they're all different, and they're all good for you. It might be worth persevering.

I can understand someone saying 'I don't like pineapple' or 'I don't like plums', or whatever, but 'I don't like fruit' seems a bit excessive!!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 16th May 17, 6:25 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Puzzled by the 'I don't like fruit' bit - they're all different, and they're all good for you. It might be worth persevering.

I can understand someone saying 'I don't like pineapple' or 'I don't like plums', or whatever, but 'I don't like fruit' seems a bit excessive!!
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Yes I can see where you are coming from I will try to explain.

I don't generally buy any fruit whatever type it is, for me it is just too inconsistent in flavour. One piece you will have will be ok the next will taste awful. Last thing I tried were strawberries which I generally enjoy but this pack was not nice at all its just a waste of money for me as I am too fussy with all types, they have to be just right for me to like them.

Until they can grow a fruit that guarantees it has the same taste every single time (much like crisps and biscuits ) then I will give it a miss, apart from the occasional time I decide I am going to try something again.

• Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 16th May 17, 6:33 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 3,598 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Blueberries usually all have a uniform taste if that helps?
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    2 savings challenge
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 16th May 17, 6:40 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Blueberries usually all have a uniform taste if that helps?
    Originally posted by Tink_04
    Not be me they don't Its probably me I am ultra sensitive to it. I like fresh blueberries picked in season straight from the bushes but the ones you can buy in packs at the moment do sometimes taste funny.

Also I am a bit paranoid about buying fruit as it isn't cheap and a lot to waste when you get a bad pack/bunch (which to me seems to be more often than not) as there is just me, there is nobody else to eat it up that might not be so fussy.
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 16-05-2017 at 6:43 PM.

• Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 16th May 17, 7:03 PM
    • 5,310 Posts
    • 18,079 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    I think you're going to have to accept that 'healthy' and balanced usually includes fruit and veg.... and that means prepare it yourself or pay someone else to do it.

Off the shelf products may be quick but most will not be *that* 'healthy'.

Cut up celery, pepper, carrot batons and keep them in a Lock and Lock box. Make up some hummus, salsa or soured cream dip and you have yourself a quick reach-and-munch snack.

Before bed, prepare some overnight oats - google has loads of recipes - and then you can grab the pot when you get home.

Have a Lock and Lock box of mixed nuts, seeds and dried fruit and just grab a handful to munch on. You can even add some dark chocolate chips to the mix.

Flapjacks are super easy to make and quick too - they can then be used as a snack.

Have ready chopped salad bits in the fridge and then stuff a pitta and add some chilli sauce.

Or just have peanut butter spread onto oatcakes.

You can get the boys on the case with the veggie prepping, dip and flapjack making.
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 16th May 17, 7:44 PM
    • 5,731 Posts
    • 11,824 Thanks
    krlyr
    I know what you mean about the inconsistency of fruit - but have you tried frozen fruit? Doesn't have the chance to go squidgy/mouldy/dried out.
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 16th May 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,798 Posts
    • 7,937 Thanks
    splishsplash
    I keep bags of roasted nuts (cashew, pine nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts) in the freezer. They don't really freeze, you can eat them straight from the freezer and they're very satisfying.

You can also make your own (healthy) crisps in the microwave - thinly slice a spud; brush the slices with olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a sheet of kitchen roll on a plate. Sprinkle salt or seasoning on top and cook each side on high for a couple of minutes. The olive oil is optional but nice.

Banana bread freezes well in slices. Warm quickly and spread with butter.

Baba ganoush or hummus will keep in a cold fridge for several days, so I'm told - they never lasts that long in my house. Great for dipping or with salad.

Peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies made with chickpeas are gorgeous - here's the recipe I use.
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 16th May 17, 8:44 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,575 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    I totally get the I don't like fruit comment

You possibly don't like it because it's not ripe.

Strawberries aren't in season until Wimbledon starts

You need to see what is grown here, and what's in season. Everything else is picked before its ripe, and cold stored No flavour to any of it, melon , strawberries, tomatoes, all taste of cold cotton wool

The other thing is, you are getting too used to coming in starved, grabbing something quick, and heading out again. That's really bad news. I used to work in a kitchen, get home at 11 feeling like I'd faint with hunger, be too tired and out would come the cheese - I gained a stone

You are probably sick of reading this, but you need to meal plan. And that means planning for meals that will see you through busy times so you aren't reaching for the high fat, high sugar snacks

Black coffee and a crisp bread really isn't going to get you through a day when you are on the go for 14hrs, you need something substantial so you need to plan your meals into your days

I can't face a breakfast for example. I start work at 7 and am feeling sick with hunger come 10. Everyone else is on tea and cake or biscuits, I'm with the ham and egg on wholemeal. That keeps me feeling full enough to not snack till I get home around 2 when a slice of toast and sardines gets me through to dinner at 7. If I'm not working then around 11am, I'll take something like kippers and a poached egg or beans on toast to keep me going till dinner at 7

I rarely snack now. DH will have ice cream or nuts later in the evening but I find as long as I've had enough protein in me and very little carbs, I don't need to pick
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 16th May 17, 9:48 PM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 33,604 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    My husband says exactly the same as you about fruit. I love fruit but sometimes an apple or a banana is not enough.

Would you be better off actually making a sandwich? Or a hunk of fresh bread with a little peanut butter, low fat soft cheese or savoury spread? Neither of these would take that long to prepare.

A bowl of cereal is a good snack if you avoid the sugary ones, no reason why weetabix or even porridge oats have to be just for breakfast.

I am not a huge fan of nuts but have found that I dont mind cashew nuts mixed with a few pumpkin seeds. I like dried apricots and raisins too. Carrot sticks and celery sticks are strangely filling I find, much more than crisps!

You could buy some little pots and do the next days snacks in advance which wouldnt take long.

Livelongandprosper makes a really good point though. It is bad for you to rely on snacks as an essential part of your daily diet and maybe that's worth thinking about.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th May 17, 7:24 AM
    • 12,322 Posts
    • 33,541 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Maybe you'd find more taste in organic fruit than "conventional" chemically-grown/possibly put in cold store en route/etc type fruit?
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 17th May 17, 8:47 AM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Soup? Make a batch and just warm some through when you get home.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

1,513Users online

Martin's Twitter