Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 13th May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 511Posts
    • 1,381Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Adventures of the Boy & Me..
    • 13th May 17, 9:26 AM
    Adventures of the Boy & Me.. 13th May 17 at 9:26 AM
    Hello.

I've decided to start a fresh diary on here as I felt my last one was becoming confusing for myself to read back on and it was becoming a bit of a negative place for me to vent. I hope for this one to be more upbeat and a place I can share all the wonderful things that happen daily and any ways that I am able to save money/pay off debt.

A quick recap about myself.. Its just me and the boy who live at home with my mum. I work in quite a high pressured environment full time and juggle this along with everything else. I also have bipolar disorder- this is where things begin to get difficult at times but I need to remain positive and accept the diagnosis. It's time to move on from my past, focus on the present and not worry about the future ahead.

The boy is a wonderful child who is bright, enthusiastic and keen to learn. He has three hobbies and would do more if he could. I couldn't ask for a more laid back, loving and caring little individual- he's my best friend and the reason I smile and carry on. We do a lot together hence the title of this diary. It's the two of us and we're a team.

About myself? I've always been high functioning and I always strive for more with everything I do- which isn't always a good thing. I'm still trying to find the right balance. Aside from that, I'm your pretty average plain Jane. I'm quirky in my own ways, procrastinate lots but get things done, have a cracking sense of humour and overall a nice person to be around. I have a small circle of friends, a supportive family, a roof over my head and food in my stomach. So I'm rich in many ways.

In regards to the debt that I'll be focusing on, I had a car on PCP deal but last September decided to get a low interest loan to pay it outright which saved me thousands in interest. I paid off some lump sums and a few months later managed to move the remaining balance to 0% deals, which saved me further interest. Since then I've been overpaying as much as possible.

Although I'd like to pay off this debt as soon as possible, I also want to enjoy things in life and grab every opportunity available whilst I can. That's another reason for the title of this diary- Adventures of the Boy and Me. We do lots of things together and I do keep costs to the bare minimum and find ways to save money and still enjoy ourselves.

I'll update afterwards with a plan and realistic goals I'd like to achieve for the rest of the year ahead. For whoever reads this, feel free to comment and add your own little adventures if you'd like .
Page 8
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 5th Jul 17, 8:01 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    QUOTE OF THE DAY

The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination.

--

We are all on this debt free journey together. Some with smaller amounts, others with larger amounts but we all have one thing in common- we want to get rid of the debt. Each one of us has a different journey that sometimes will hit bumps in the road due to many factors. Ultimately we will reach the end of our journey whether that be in the near future or in a few years time. However along the way we will learn many valuable lessons that will hopefully stay with us for life.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 5th Jul 17, 8:13 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning

Yesterday was a NSD, 1/14.

So today I will be watching the boys school production. He's pretty excited for me to come and watch as they have been rehearsing for quite a long time now.

I've then got the rest of my to do list to complete.

- Make boys pack lunch.
    - Order hooded top.
    - Fill out diary.
    - Get the boy to tell his friend he can go to party or try the number again to reply.

I think after this I shall take some time to relax and maybe read a book. I've been all systems go the past few days and it's catching up with me.

I have a few other jobs I could do such as give the kitchen a deep clean and sort out the cupboards/make an inventory of what we have in stock.

We'll see

I'm hoping for today to be another NSD.

I need to go out at some point and buy some birthday cards for the upcoming birthday parties we have.

Anyhow enough rambling on.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 5th Jul 17, 8:21 AM
    • 4,227 Posts
    • 26,355 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    All looking good, make sure you take time to yourself too x
    DFW £1783.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £571.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 5th Jul 17, 10:45 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Thanks Hidden....I'll definitely squeeze some time in for myself. I'm currently sat in the garden with a cup of coffee and my feet up .

So I've confirmed that the boy is attending all parties for this month. They seem to all come at once. I'm not sure what I'll do giftwise.

When I finally move my bottom I'll finally jot down all my shifts/upcoming events in my diary. I've just fired up the laptop to fill out this order form for a hooded top.

My plan then is to tackle the kitchen..
    - Unload dishwasher.
    - Sort and clean out fridge.
    - Clean cooker/oven.
    - Deep clean all the kitchen sides.
    - Sweep and mop kitchen
    - Do a stock inventory of all cupboards.

And I think that will be enough for today
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 5th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 4,016 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Wow - busy day ahead!

I also have several parties coming up for my son's friends - I got a selection of Superhero goodies from B&M bargains for £26 which should cover three parties and they had kids birthday cards for 29p each so I've spent just under £9pp.

Alternatively, my go-to gift is pyjamas and a book, although I think your son is older than mine so maybe that'd be a naff gift?
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 5th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Yes the boy is 6, turns 7 in August but all his friends are turning 7 now. It's a tricky one JoJo

The post came today and I had my car tax letter to say it's due at the end of the month.. so whilst it's fresh in my mind, I've paid it off. Im £190.00 lighter, ouch.

My next mission after I've tackled all these jobs is to compare car insurances. My current insurer has always been really good at price matching and getting it lower. However I'm not sure that will be the case this year we'll have to wait and see and I'll have to get my haggling shoes on .
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 5th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 4,016 Thanks
    JoJoC
    The haggling shoes should be being prepared as we speak! I always get really cheesed off at car insurance companies - every year my premium shoots up, i do a comparison to get it lower, call up to cancel and then they offer to match the price to keep me there. Just stop raising the price! It's simple and would save me a lot of work! Hope you manage to save yourself some cash on this one, or at least avoid it rising.

Oh yes, 7 year olds are tricky. I quite like giving board games as gifts, something to do with the family. The Game of Life is good, and 5 second rule is a favourite of my nephew's (he's 9 but we got it for his 8th birthday). I think i got it on Amazon for £10. Asda also frequently has board games included in the 2 for £14 category.

Ouch to the £190 but at least it's out of the way for another year.
    CC1: £3804.52 / £3704.32 £100.20 paid | CC2:£5027.53 / £4927.48 £100.05 paid | Loan: £15,000 / £13,932.24 (£1067.76 paid)

July debt total: £23,832.05 | New debt total: £22,564.04 | Total debt paid: £1,268.01 (5.3%)
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 5th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 4,227 Posts
    • 26,355 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I hate buying gifts for parties I usually do something small and £5 in a card because I really have no idea what to get.

• Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 5th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I'm flummoxed as what to buy.. maybe a gander in b&ms or somewhere will give me an idea.

I need to start thinking about plans for the boys birthday. There is a local climbing place near us that is suppose to be good. I may test it out with the boy and if it's successful I may take him and a friend or two for his birthday. Or else I'll have to come up with another plan!
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Jul 17, 7:32 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning.

So yesterday I ended up crashing and burning and exhausted myself doing different jobs around the house. So I'll use my time today to try and finish my yesterday's to do list.

To do list

- Order hooded top.
    - Fill out diary.
    - Sort and clean out fridge.
    - Deep clean all the kitchen sides.
    - Sweep and mop kitchen!
    - Do a stock inventory of all cupboards.
    - Get eyebrows waxed.
    - Wash boys football kit.
    - Take boy to football.
    - Search for car insurance quotes.
    - Dentist appointment.

--

The money has come out of my account from overpaying the mbna card. I'm just waiting for car tax payment to come out. Then that should be pretty much it for the month aside from two other direct debits to come out.

I've nothing much else to say really. I just need to finish the jobs I set out to do.

Happy Thursday everyone
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    QUOTE OF THE DAY

We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

--

I love this quote. I often find myself trying to help others but sometimes you've got to sit back and let them help themselves. And sometimes it isn't always down to just you to help, others can.
    In my job sometimes I take all tasks on myself but I've learnt to not just do it alone, enlist the help of others to achieve what you set out to do. We can all do something for another person and with great team work you can achieve it all.

Last edited by Chandelier.; 06-07-2017 at 7:59 AM.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 6th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I'm a bit like yourself when it comes to work. I've always felt, if you want a job done right, do it yourself. However I found if you delegate some tasks, to the right people, with the right instructions, it takes some weight of your shoulders and it should help them to feel valued and important. Great quote.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I'm a bit like yourself when it comes to work. I've always felt, if you want a job done right, do it yourself. However I found if you delegate some tasks, to the right people, with the right instructions, it takes some weight of your shoulders and it should help them to feel valued and important. Great quote.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    Speky, its so frustrating at times and usually I do have the mindset of do it all myself so I know it is done properly. I need to work on the whole being assertive and delegating tasks- for one it is part of my job role. Also I often find myself apologising at the end of the day when I haven't completed all tasks required. However the other week when I attended a resilience course, a lady there stated never apologise for what you haven't done as there is always tomorrow and other people who can do the tasks you haven't completed. It really opened up my mindset and I realised I place a lot of pressure and guilt on myself if I haven't completed everything I want to do- I often set the bar too high. This is a work in progress
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    I've spent quite some time this morning reflecting on what I've achieved in the past year in regards to all aspects of life. I thought I would note it hear as a reminder of how far I have come.

In September last year, I had this brilliant idea of taking out a loan to pay off my car PCP- the PCP deal was due to end Aug 2019 with a balloon payment of £5800. The loan was a much lower interest rate of 3.3% compared to the APR of 6.4% and not including the flat rate (can't remember what the flat rate was). The outstanding balance of the car PCP was just under £11600. I was accepted for a loan of £11600 and immediately paid off the outstanding PCP balance.

Now the loan was to be spread over four years and with interest added it came to a total of £12395.87. The monthly payments were around £258. I let these payments tick over for the next few months and also made some lump payments from savings.

In December I had this bright idea I would use a few 0% money transfers to pay off as much as the loan balance as possible and in the end I was able to transfer the full amount from the loan across several cards. This saved me a lot of interest overall, and the transfer fees were minute compared to the loan interest.

Since then I kept up with payments each month, even when I was off sick and have used some savings to pay off lump sums. My debt today stands at £5000.

So in 10 months I have managed to reduce the debt by £7395.87 through the methods mentioned above and through overpayments.

I think its safe to say I've done a bloody good job given the circumstances of the past ten months. Looking at it from this point of view has made me less anxious about the debt that is left and maybe I should tackle it with a different approach rather then throwing all my spare cash/using savings to pay it off quicker then usual.

Overview of past 10 months.

- 4 months off work on SSP.
    - Successful return to work.
    - Day trip to Lapland.
    - Two week holiday in Majorca.
    - Passes bought for local theme park.
    - Passes bought for other attractions.
    - My health has improved, both physically and mentally.

That's probably not even half of it. But I am proud of what I have achieved .
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 1,242 Posts
    • 4,016 Thanks
    JoJoC
    You should be proud- that's such a positive round up and shows just how far you've come so far. I'll look forward to hearing about the rest!

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 6th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 5,609 Thanks
    MeandO
    That is amazing progress in such a short amount of time Chandelier, you need to give yourself a really big pat on the back!
    Savings: £1700/£2000
    Mortgage Feb 2015: £102,000
    Mortgage now: £78,000

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    JoJo, I never even thought about it until I looked back through old diaries and saw that figure.

I need to stop worrying about making huge overpayments and sit back and enjoy the ride ahead of me.

The plan ahead:

- Pay £200 a month on MBNA cc.
    - Pay £50 a month on Halifax cc.

--

Future goals

- Bring MBNA card down to £750. By December 2017
    - Bring Halifax card down to £2500. By December 2017
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    So I've been to the dentist today and have been discussing treatment options. I really hate how my teeth look and I'm considering veneers. I know ultimately this will be expensive but it will be worth the boost to my confidence.

I've ummed and ahhed over the best way to finance this and I think I'm going to use a 0% purchase credit card. I've applied for one and been accepted for 29 months 0%.

I'm aware this means adding to my debt but it's not a decision I've taken lightly.

Maybe I might smile more once the work is done.
    Check out my Diary
    • Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 7th Jul 17, 5:52 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    Morning,

I'm currently sat in the garden listening to the birds. It's so peaceful.

Nothing much MSE wise to report. The funds for my car tax has finally left the account..

I've work today 7.30 until 3.30pm and then the boy has his extra curricular activity just before 5. I also need to go pick up my prescription and I need bloods taking today but I'll get that done at work.

I'm still umming and ahhing about the best way to finance having veneers done. Some may think I'm stupid getting them done but I have my own reasons why. It will just push my DFD back for a while but I'm sure I can cope with that.

I just want my confidence back. I hate my smile and often cover my mouth because I don't like my teeth. I've been thinking about them for a while and it's not just an impulse thought/idea/buy.

I have several upcoming events where I'd like to look my best and be able to smile without being paranoid about my teeth. One is a relatives close wedding where I'll be bridesmaid and the other is a cruise next year.

I just figure if I've managed to pay off amount previously mentioned in a year then I can do it again. I just need to work out a clear budget and payment plan.

My car debt would still be my first priority (get rid of them debts first) and then I can concentrate on paying off the dental treatment. I also have some savings I could put towards it but I'll leave myself with a safety net.

Decisions decisions.. some may think I'm barmy.. Maybe I am
    Check out my Diary
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 7th Jul 17, 7:23 AM
    • 4,227 Posts
    • 26,355 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I'd get in debt to have my teeth done. I'd do it today if I could be brave enough to go, so I totally understand how you feel.

I think you should do it if it will make a difference to how you feel/happy and confidence x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

193Posts Today

1,572Users online

Martin's Twitter