Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Katie
    • By MSE Katie 18th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 3Thanks
    MSE Katie
    MSE Leaders' Debate 2017: The big consumer issues for the election
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:52 PM
    MSE Leaders' Debate 2017: The big consumer issues for the election 18th Apr 17 at 4:52 PM
    The Prime Minister has called a snap election in just seven weeks’ time. As voting is one of the most important choices we make as consumers we’ll be putting questions on the key consumer or financial issues that affect you to the leaders of the seven main political parties.

Who’s taking part?

We’ll be asking the following parties:

- The Conservatives
    - Labour
    - Liberal Democrats
    - Plaid Cymru
    - The SNP
    - UKIP
    - The Green Party.

As the election was announced today, we haven’t approached them yet but we hope all seven will take part – for the last election in 2015 they did. We'll let you know if any say no.

UPDATE 4/5/2017: So far the leaders of the Liberal Democrats (Tim Farron), Scottish National Party (Nicola Sturgeon), Green Party (Jonathan Bartley) and Plaid Cymru (Leanne Wood) have agreed to take part in the MSE Leaders' Debate. Updates on the rest to come...

UPDATE 5/5/2017: The leader of the Labour Party (Jeremy Corbyn) has also agreed to take part in the MSE Leaders' Debate. Updates on the rest to come...

UPDATE 8/5/2017: The leader of UKIP (Paul Nuttall) has also agreed to take part in the MSE Leaders' Debate. Updates on the rest to come...

UPDATE 9/5/2017: The Prime Minister Theresa May has confirmed she will take part in the MSE Leaders' Debate. We have now shortlisted the topics in our poll, where you can vote for the questions we put to all leaders.

What do you want to ask the leaders?

Post your suggestions on important issues below. We're going to create a shortlist, which will be put to the (MSE) polls in the next few weeks. We can't promise to use all your ideas but we can promise to read them.

Examples of things to include

This is about consumer and finance issues that affect you.

We carried out a Leaders' Debate in 2010 and 2015. The questions we asked last time included:
    • Energy Bills: Is it time to renationalise or dictate prices to energy providers?
    • Student Loans: How will you help students afford their living costs?
    • Savings Accounts: How will you help savers with pitiful interest rates?

See the full list of questions and responses in the 2015 Leaders’ Debate guide.

Examples of things not to include

This isn't a general political poll, it’s more specific consumer finance that affects you so please don't include things such as:
    • Immigration
    • Public spending issues such as NHS or education
    • MPs salaries

PLEASE KEEP SUGGESTIONS TO AROUND 50 WORDS THOUGH FEEL FREE TO DO MORE THAN ONE

Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Last edited by MSE Katie; 10-05-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Page 1
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 18th Apr 17, 5:24 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 9,180 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:24 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:24 PM
    This is not a General Election in the normal sense, this is about Brexit and virtually nothing else.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2986.4
    This week 70.1
    • Mandelbrot
    • By Mandelbrot 18th Apr 17, 5:41 PM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 18,719 Thanks
    Mandelbrot
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:41 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:41 PM
    Why are you not including the Northern Ireland parties?
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 18th Apr 17, 9:02 PM
    • 23,238 Posts
    • 90,209 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:02 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:02 PM
    Why is shopping the only thing you seem to think members are interested in?

Energy - what will you do to reduce our dependence upon overseas suppliers and their pricing prior to Brexit? What will you actually fund in the way of developing renewable energy to further reduce reliance upon external companies who owe us absolutely nothing in terms of fair pricing since we sold the utilities to them?

Tourism - what will you do to ensure that domestic holiday areas aren't environmentally degraded if overseas holidays become dearer, require visas or generally become less attractive to consumers? Have you considered staggering holidays as they do overseas? If not, why not?

Agricultural Policy - what safeguards and procedures are in place to ensure that the environment is not further damaged and customers are not faced with higher prices for higher welfare and lower impact foodstuffs in the void left by abandoning environmental and animal welfare protections?

What can you offer in terms of increasing geographical mobility for lower income people, as at present, without a good credit reference, a large deposit and and several hundred pounds for fees, the reductions in LHA and benefit capping means that moving somewhere in search of work is at best difficult and precarious, at worst entirely impossible? What will you do to combat the large number of landlords who refuse to accept tenants receiving any benefits whatsoever because the landlords' payment insurance does not provide cover? Will you remove the age limit upon accessing help to buy, as lower income is not dependent upon age/older people who have never been in a position to buy do not deserve to be penalised whilst younger people can benefit?

What incentives can you offer to maintain communities and people of all ages and income levels, rather than support property developers and overseas buyers, who act as an upwards driving force upon the house price/rent mechanism?

Will you make the prices charged for internet access more representative of the actual speeds provided rather than those claimed in adverts? As this would make it economically sensible to actual get true high speed internet coverage countrywide, the accessibility helping to increase trade/internet business, access education and provide actual equality of provision, if preventing a company from charging the same high price for a slow and intermittent connect meant they made less money, it would also act as an incentive for them to improve.

Will you make student loans available to all for all second degrees?

Will you stop wasting money on the scientifically reprehensible, hugely expensive and morally dubious ideology of badger culling? Will you commit to prevent the waste of consumers' tax money on debating reintroducing hunting with dogs?

What will you do to ensure that multinationals do not use their size and influence to increase overseas profits (ie, no UK tax), particularly where their products and services have a negative environmental impact? How will you ensure that consumer prices reflect the environmental cost and ensure British Producers are not held to ransom by such multinationals?

And do you pledge to eliminate the inappropriate levels of commercial lobbying that are most advantageous towards the sellers, rather than consumers (this includes offering of consultancies, non executive directorships and employing wives, girlfriends, brothers or parents in lieu of transparency, by the way)?

Do you faithfully promise to not paint yourselves orange and start sabre rattling to distract from any oversights, mistakes, genuine changes in position and inconveniently truthful/accurate reports?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • robin58
    • By robin58 18th Apr 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,981 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    robin58
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:09 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:09 PM
    Can you ask why they all started husting on Tuesday before they all voted themselves OUT of office. Electioneering should be banned until a date specified.

As the saying goes ' I voted in the election but a government still got in'.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • truncheon
    • By truncheon 18th Apr 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    truncheon
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:26 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:26 PM
    Both the PM and Jeremy Corbyn have said that they want a fairer Britain, yet how is it fair that higher rate taxpayers (HRT) get more State aid than basic rate taxpayers via pension contributions tax relief?
    An answer along the lines that there is no consensus for equalisation of relief just won't do. Of course there will be no consensus when the Treasury's study only asks HRT. Turkeys and Xmas springs to mind.

I am far from confident that this will be a chosen question to ask the politicians as you are all, probably, HRT.
    Last edited by truncheon; 19-04-2017 at 9:07 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    • mikeybikey
    • By mikeybikey 18th Apr 17, 11:58 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    mikeybikey
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:58 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:58 PM
    Two questions:-

1- what will you do to address the fact that local councils are being given too much financial incentive towards forced adoption?

2-due to benefit cuts and media sites such as benefits Britain etc. This country has now largely become largely a dog eat dog nation, and, disabled people (or people with a long term illness) are seen as scroungers, and, their benefits stopped unfairly
    What will you do to address this human rights issue?
    • bushbaby1103
    • By bushbaby1103 19th Apr 17, 12:20 AM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 7,840 Thanks
    bushbaby1103
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:20 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:20 AM
    I'd like to ask what , if anything they plan to do about unfair fuel prices?

But in hindsight that's a pointless question since the country is actually run by mega rich individuals and multinationals with big interests in the oil industry. I might as well ask when they'll reveal themselves as child eating reptilians.
    Yes, it's true hell IS other people
    And remember the problem is them, not you.
    Devilsand demons walk among us in human form.wake up people, it's a man.
    • Sian2193
    • By Sian2193 19th Apr 17, 7:43 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sian2193
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:43 AM
    Childcare
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:43 AM
    I would like to know what other parties would do in response to the new childcare schemes available to working parents. If labour wanted to change anything etc as the new schemes will be a massive help to me... childcare is double my mortgage!
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 19th Apr 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    The Prime Minister has called a snap election in just seven weeks’ time. As voting is one of the most important choices we make as consumers we’ll be putting questions on the key consumer or financial issues that affect you to the leaders of the seven main political parties.

Examples of things not to include

This isn't a general political poll, it’s more specific consumer finance that affects you so please don't include things such as:
    • Immigration
    Public spending issues such as NHS or education
    • MPs salaries
    Originally posted by MSE Katie

Although Education was included in the 2015 poll? Just prefix education, with financial?

Financial education – your plans?

FINANCIAL EDUCATION: "Will you strengthen financial education on the national curriculum? What resources will you put into it and how will you ensure schools who don't have to follow the curriculum consider it?"
    I'm trying to think of wording to also include public spending issues such as the NHS? ( You did say key consumer issues, or did i miss something)

As a frequent consumer of the NHS, this is a key consumer issue to me. I experience the difficulties from the NHS, first hand, on a regular basis, and this is the most important issue i feel any government should address.

As such, it's at the top of my list.

Will you strengthen the financial position of the NHS? What resources will you put into it?

Failing that, you may add:

Mental health & debt – how will you help? (also included in the 2015 poll)
    It's better than nothing?

Also add (again):

Pensioners – will you help them?

Petrol tax – will you cut it?

Energy – will you dictate prices?

Zero-hour contracts – will you scrap 'em?
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • sprocket1
    • By sprocket1 19th Apr 17, 8:51 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sprocket1
    Limit on savings protected by the government
    Savings in banks or building socieities are protected by EU governments up to €100,000. The Government was quick to reduce the UK limit from £80,000 to £75,000, when the euro weakened, but has shown no signs of wanting to increase it, since the pound has fallen. What is your policy on Government protection for savings before and after Brexit?
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 19th Apr 17, 9:14 AM
    • 659 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    This is my biggest concern and I believe if this was properly addressed most of the other problems in the UK would be solved.

Will you promise to close all tax loop holes first by new laws?

When the governments income increases by the £Billions being lost by companies like Amazon, Boots, Starbucks, Vodaphone, Topshop etc who use these loopholes to not pay tax, I want that stopped, so there is enough money for free education for all, including university fees, our NHS, pensions protected, etc.

I'm quite sure Corbyn will do this but as for the others - well Cameron promised it pre-election 2010 and it never happened.

Corbyn for PM
    • Trix3y
    • By Trix3y 19th Apr 17, 9:52 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Trix3y
    State pension
    As a person who only receives the state pension I am very concerned at all the negative reporting aimed at retired people. We are not all on high private pensions and many people are only just surviving with high energy costs and other bills.The triple lock has helped to keep a small increase every year on the basic pension. However,if this is removed with inflation and the Bank of England rates kept low,there would be virtually no rise in the pension. In the western world we have one of the lowest state pensions paid,despite most of the generation receiving this currently having worked and paid in for nearly fifty years continually.It seems that some of the population and politicians want to punish us just for drawing this money.Not everyone can save for a private pension, you have to earn a decent income to be able to afford to save. I was in the care profession and just did not earn enough to save for another pension.I am sure there are thousands out there like myself especially women who were always traditionally paid much lower wages.Additionally the fuel allowance has not risen for many years and bus passes are only issued to people applying for them.They are not sent out to everyone.Finally there has been no interest paid on savings since the crash in 2008,something hardly mentioned.
    • flubberfig
    • By flubberfig 19th Apr 17, 11:47 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    flubberfig
    Punishing the sensible
    I'd like to hear how each party plans to make economic changes that stop punishing those who do the right thing:

Savings rates are below inflation and have been for a long time,
    It is likely that by the time I get there pensions will not be accessible before 60 (as why else is LISA for non house purchase locked at 60)
    My student loan is unlikely to ever be paid off in full, but I've serviced the interest for longer than it took to pay off mortgage for my house.

Had I taken different life choices I could have been propped up by the state time and again, as it is I work very hard for what I have and am quite upset that not only do I see many around me with easier/better standards of living for less effort but that this is only likely to increase over time.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 19th Apr 17, 12:39 PM
    • 35,656 Posts
    • 143,061 Thanks
    tommix
    Why have Fig Rolls gone up in price this year?

When will the Lettuce problem be resolved?

• Popscoops
    • By Popscoops 19th Apr 17, 12:45 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Popscoops
    Theresa May won't debate you she is too scared.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 19th Apr 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Mersey
    Shame MPs salaries & allowances aren't included. That - as well as immigration - affects public spending.

Ask them if they'll stay on as Leader if they lose.

Or ask them the price of milk, bread, etc. That 'Maggie' test has stood the test of time and a lot of MPs still don't know what Maggie knew: the cost of living.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • Popscoops
    • By Popscoops 19th Apr 17, 12:51 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Popscoops
    Ask them is they need any help printing money as I have a fairly decent printer now, and like to do my bit for the economy.
    • Popscoops
    • By Popscoops 19th Apr 17, 1:00 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Popscoops
    Ask them how much interest food banks pay and how long do you have to leave your food in.

Also why not bail out the banks that went bust with donated food, rather than robbing the poor, sick, and disabled of their benefits?
    • Bazinga48
    • By Bazinga48 19th Apr 17, 1:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bazinga48
    House Prices
    Will the politicians pledge to build more houses in local communities to help reduce the ridiculously high house prices?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

788Posts Today

7,565Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, so far majority of voters in favour of calories on the menu, but vast majority of comments vehemently? https://t.co/hxBiLuhYLr

• RT @LeGrimpeur123: @MartinSLewis Yes, we got on the eastjet website just before 7am and booked two adult return tickets to Faro from Southe?

• Today's twitter poll: Should restaurants be forced to show calories on menus? Which of these is closest to your view...

• Follow Martin