Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davilown
    • By davilown 18th Apr 17, 2:55 PM
    • 1,373Posts
    • 912Thanks
    davilown
    Career change - what training do I need for Advice and Guidance jobs?
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:55 PM
    Career change - what training do I need for Advice and Guidance jobs? 18th Apr 17 at 2:55 PM
    As per the title, I'm going to be changing my career in 18 months and have 2 very real options.

The first is to train to become a science (Physics or Biology) teacher to which I would need to undertake the year of teacher training. Financially it's viable (thankfully) and I know I would enjoy it.

However over the last few years I really like the idea of becoming a advice and guidance provider, specifically financial as I find I really enjoy it (albeit with friends and family). Does anyone know what I could use my spare time doing in order to make me more attractive to an employer?
    Back in Debt £188,134/£225,000 on a mortgage, Overpayment £96 pm - Aim to be Mortgage free by 2028
    £27000/£27000 paid off Feb 2010 since LBM Jan 2007!
Page 1
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 18th Apr 17, 7:26 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 763 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:26 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 7:26 PM
    My opinions:

Teaching, im sure you love it but when you find that the brats you are trying to teach would rather fight you than learn from you, it will be a big shock. Welcome to society where discipline is no longer a thing. you have a very good chance of getting a teaching job because there are many vacancies, the bit they don't tell you is the vacancies are mainly for under performing rough schools, the good schools have massive competition.

I come from a family of teachers, if you want to teach, stick to primary and hope you get year 6 where you can do more interesting things with them as they are starting to understand concepts like fractions etc. You can try nursery but you'll get bored more likely.

As ive heard countless stories im a little jaded with these things, imo if a kid doesn't want to learn or behave then im not interested. For that reason i respect my families passion for wanting to teach children in this day and age.

Fin. Advice, if you want a chance at such a role you will need experience, you may get very lucky and get something entry level if you are okay with 18-19k per year but you'll be competing with many people who have a lot of experience in that field.

Im pretty sure someone will say get a bookkeeping qualification and a job will fall on your lap but thats not the case and everyone and their dog are doing the courses.

Conclusion.

If you have a passion to teach and are willing to put up with crap (potentially) for years before being able to get into a better school then go for that.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 19th Apr 17, 10:04 AM
    • 18,333 Posts
    • 18,508 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:04 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 10:04 AM
    Financial advice - if you are thinking about stuff like debt advice, you could become a CAB volunteer.....
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,833Posts Today

7,231Users online

Martin's Twitter