Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 12th Apr 17, 5:23 PM
    • 3,154Posts
    • 2,443Thanks
    dekaspace
    Would you return cheap tat?
    • 12th Apr 17, 5:23 PM
    Would you return cheap tat? 12th Apr 17 at 5:23 PM
    Today for example I spent £1.40 on a wrist support wrap that on picture showed it covering whole hand bar fingers and quite far up wrist.

I got it and it didn't even wrap around my arm let alone my whole wrist.

And bought various things from places like Poundland that are useless.

To me even £1 can be used to buy something like a few food items or some toiletries so if I do take anything back I wait a few days until I need something from same store and just exchange it.

But heard people say that is tight and they would just bin it.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 18-04-2017 at 2:48 PM.
Page 1
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Apr 17, 5:32 PM
    • 13,126 Posts
    • 35,923 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 12th Apr 17, 5:32 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 5:32 PM
    Quite possibly - as these firms will never learn not to sell rubbish unless consumers "call them" on it (ie return it when they realise).

They could do this to a lot of other people too if no-one says anything and just lets them take the money for it.
    ploughing my own furrow...

They have lessons in schools these days on resisting peer pressure
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Apr 17, 5:37 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,167 Thanks
    Farway
    • 12th Apr 17, 5:37 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 5:37 PM
    I would not class it as tight, but I expect cheap tat to be just that and it comes a bonus if it is fit for purpose, thus would not bother returning something that cost just a quid or so, just not worth my time

Unless it was food items, like say pack of bacon that turned out to "off" when opened, more to alert store of a problem than get refunded / replaced which I would expect to happen anyway,
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 12th Apr 17, 6:04 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 12th Apr 17, 6:04 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 6:04 PM
    Would you return cheap tat?

No, I wouldn't buy it in the first place.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Apr 17, 6:40 PM
    • 15,082 Posts
    • 122,274 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 12th Apr 17, 6:40 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 6:40 PM
    Under the Sale of Goods act of 1967 things that are sold have to be 'fit for purpose' no matter how much they cost, and yes if it wasn't fit for purpose then yes I would But then I am a stubborn old mare who knows the value of a quid
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 12th Apr 17, 6:52 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    YorksLass
    • 12th Apr 17, 6:52 PM
    Under the Sale of Goods act of 1967 things that are sold have to be 'fit for purpose' no matter how much they cost, and yes if it wasn't fit for purpose then yes I would But then I am a stubborn old mare who knows the value of a quid
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Go, Jackie, go! I'm with you, us oldies are made of stern stuff!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Aug GC: £200 - £100.40 = £99.60 NSDs 14/35
    July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Apr 17, 6:52 PM
    • 59,620 Posts
    • 348,223 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I bought something from £land the other day, got it home, used it immediately and it broke and hurt my finger. I shrugged and thought "Oh well, I can use the half that's not broken" .... the bit left was still worth the £1.

It is VERY annoying though ... but better than taking time to really lust after something that cost more and didn't do the job expected .... like the microwave dish I bought the other day that's a tad too large to fit

The trouble with returning anything is it can cost you more in fuel to return it - and you have to queue with everybody else at the till to get to the till to ask for somebody else to speak to ...and then everybody's staring at you ....so it's not easy to do.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 12th Apr 17, 7:03 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 12th Apr 17, 7:03 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 7:03 PM
    In the past bought kitchen knives from poundland so dull and flimsy I could bend them in my hands and they were no better than a cheap cutlery knife and couldnt even cut a piece of bread in half.

So I can see why it depends on usage, I didn't take the knifes back as just used them for piercing ready meals or to carefully cut soft bread or spread something.

But something like this wrist band is useless unless its a child despite not being marketed as one.

Lightbulbs that blew within a few days I would take back.

I have in past taken back packet of adhesive as didn't need it but thats a seperate thing and exchanged it for a screwdriver set that I needed.

Did take back a £1 charging cable when on first use it partly melted too and a 3 way switch that did.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Apr 17, 7:58 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,812 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 12th Apr 17, 7:58 PM
    • 12th Apr 17, 7:58 PM
    I wouldn't hesitate to return something that isn't up to scratch. Having said that, I've made lots of worthwhile purchases from pound shops, so would be more likely to swap it for something else.
    • lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 12th Apr 17, 8:18 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 17,616 Thanks
    lushlifesaver
    I've returned things to poundland that turned out to be broken/broke the day I bought them. I wouldn't have done in the past but as you say £1 is another meal - even more so seeing how high prices are getting so yes definitely!
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    • 14,920 Posts
    • 60,350 Thanks
    Judi
    youve got to work out if its worth your time/transport costs and energy to return it.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 12th Apr 17, 11:33 PM
    • 2,109 Posts
    • 2,972 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I'm a very good taker-backer.

I took a pack of bin bags back to Aldi!! I knew the size of my bin, bought the ones that were the correct size according to the packet, but when I got them home they were well short of the mark - even if you included the tie handles, they weren't as long as the pack said they were. Far too small for the bin. The manager was a bit surprised (we ended up having a laugh and measuring the bags with a tape measure), but I got my money back (which I spent on bigger bags, so everyone was happy).
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Apr 17, 6:35 AM
    • 14,920 Posts
    • 60,350 Thanks
    Judi
    I'm a very good taker-backer.

I took a pack of bin bags back to Aldi!! I knew the size of my bin, bought the ones that were the correct size according to the packet, but when I got them home they were well short of the mark - even if you included the tie handles, they weren't as long as the pack said they were. Far too small for the bin. The manager was a bit surprised (we ended up having a laugh and measuring the bags with a tape measure), but I got my money back (which I spent on bigger bags, so everyone was happy).
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    Talking about bin bags. I bought 3 rolls of bin liners with handles from Lidl. The handles on none of them were joined/seamed. Still, they did the purpose they were bought for, it was just that it wasn't quite as easy to seal the bag when it was full. I had 4 flapping bits instead of 2 handles.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 13th Apr 17, 11:13 AM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 18,439 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    In the past bought kitchen knives from poundland so dull and flimsy I could bend them in my hands......

But something like this wrist band is useless unless its a child despite not being marketed as one.........

Lightbulbs that blew within a few days I would take back..........

Did take back a £1 charging cable when on first use it partly melted too and a 3 way switch that did.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Using your examples:

Kitchen knives - there's very little more dangerous in a kitchen than flimsy / blunt knives. I wouldn't ever buy a kitchen knife from Poundland. Why? Because your safety literally depends on the quality and strength of the knife.

Cheap knives can snap (with the shard spinning away with force), blunt blades slip and slide which encourages you to use more force then, ouch, the blade ends up in you instead.

Wristband - anything required as a medical aid needs to be properly measured.... and is worth the extra expense to ensure it's fit for purpose.

The light bulbs - yes, I would take back and complain but only if I was going back anyway. Otherwise the expense of returning would outstrip the refund.

Faulty cable - as it melted, I'd have contacted Trading Standards to report it.... chances are the whole batch needs to be withdrawn to save someone else from an electrical fire.

I think the phrase 'buy cheap, buy twice' is true with some things. Pound shops etc are great but when it comes to health or safety items I'd always look for quality over price - peace of mind is more important than cost.
    Last edited by Tiddlywinks; 13-04-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 13th Apr 17, 11:35 AM
    • 2,845 Posts
    • 6,407 Thanks
    Head The Ball

Lightbulbs that blew within a few days I would take back.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    A few months ago I bought a twin pack of bulbs from ASDA. One worked but the other was dead.

I brought the faulty one back to ASDA on my next trip and explained the problem. I expected to be given one replacement.

The lady on customer services gave me another twin pack so I ended up with 3 bulbs for the price of two.
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 13th Apr 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,194 Posts
    • 7,910 Thanks
    Living proof
    I always try and return tat, or anything else for that matter, because if it doesn't work or do the trick then it's expensive tat, or whatever. I return flowers which don't last the 10 days promised, avocados sold as ready to eat which are black the day you buy them, food which is inedible before the use by date, etc. The only things I find difficult to take back are the expensive low energy light bulbs as it's difficult to remember where and when they were purchased and a lot of them have nothing to say what they are. Really, they are so expensive that I think they should come with lot numbers so one can identify them, like other electrical goods. I don't cheat the system, however, and feel well within my rights to ask for my money back.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Witless
    • By Witless 13th Apr 17, 2:07 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    Witless
    Depends on the travel / postage costs: sometimes it's not cost effective. I try to buy 'known' quality (doesn't always work!) in line with the 'buy cheap, buy twice' principle.

(There are times 'cheap' is ok for something 'one off' - I've just bought a mini mitre box for less than £4: I need it to cut 4 mitres for a bit of framing round a central heating control in a cupboard, after that it will be surplus. A 'quality' one (that would last a lifetime of constant use was £40-£50) wasn't practical for 4 cuts.)
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Apr 17, 2:49 PM
    • 9,546 Posts
    • 103,166 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Yes, if it's not fit for purpose, then I would return it, on principle.

That said, I'd be wary of what I was buying at places like Poundland in the first place.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Apr 17, 7:24 PM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,812 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    youve got to work out if its worth your time/transport costs and energy to return it.
    Originally posted by Judi
    Thats the advantage of buying locally. I'd be quite happy to walk the 4 mile round trip to my nearest Poundland, it's a good excuse for some brisk exercise.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 13th Apr 17, 7:31 PM
    • 10,393 Posts
    • 21,548 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Yes I always do.

Daughter bought some pegs in poundland that just twisted when you tried to open them she said oh well they were only a pound.

So I took them back and got the pound!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

2,295Users online

Martin's Twitter