Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th Jan 07, 2:28 PM
    • 11,297Posts
    • 63,886Thanks
    kittie
    kenwood grain mill. Any use?
    • 18th Jan 07, 2:28 PM
    kenwood grain mill. Any use? 18th Jan 07 at 2:28 PM
    I am so tempted to get a grain mill attachment for my KM001. Can anyone talk me out of it
Page 1
    • Angelina-M
    • By Angelina-M 18th Jan 07, 3:51 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    Angelina-M
    • 18th Jan 07, 3:51 PM
    • 18th Jan 07, 3:51 PM
    When I was looking at mills, I set out with the intention of buying the mill that fits my kenwood. However when I looked at the quality of the grain (fine-ness) I was a bit worried as the pieces of bran were quite visible.

I went for a granite stone grain mill. Its absolutely brilliant and mills the grain very fine. However it was approx £345 so its a huge difference in price.

I use it for bread etc and find it makes wonderful earthy sauces, such as cheese. Maybe wouldnt be as good if you needed a pure white sauce but find that having a 'speckly' sauce add charm.

I'm sure the kenwood one would do the job, however dont expect to make 100% wholegrain loaves that rise as high as white bread.
  • npsmama
    • 18th Jan 07, 5:41 PM
    • 18th Jan 07, 5:41 PM
    i went thru the same agonising decision but opted for a dedicated machine with stone grinding. It was £188. I got it from ukjuicers.com. it's the waldner single biotech mill.

I LOVE it!!! I use almost everyday.

From what i gathered the KC attachment doesn't mill as finely, the way it grinds destroys more nutrients and it's only intended for 'recreational' use once every couple of weeks.

And i'm a die-hard Kenwood fan but on this occasion i realised it would do what i wanted.

I was so impressed by the mill that I went back the next day and bought a flaker to make my own porridge oats.
    Last edited by npsmama; 18-01-2007 at 5:48 PM.
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."

• Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 18th Jan 07, 6:28 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    • 18th Jan 07, 6:28 PM
    • 18th Jan 07, 6:28 PM
    Hmmmm well I love mine!!! Sometimes I mill the flour twice if I want really fine, but there is a fine / coarse adjustment that works well and usually I shake it through a sieve to get rid of the extra bits of bran anyway. It's very solid, I use it quite a bit and don't think it has any signs of wear.

I've never used a dedicated mill though, so can't compare the results. I think for the price you would be quite happy with it. I have an older model, it is all metal.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 25th Jan 07, 8:27 AM
    • 11,297 Posts
    • 63,886 Thanks
    kittie
    • 25th Jan 07, 8:27 AM
    • 25th Jan 07, 8:27 AM
    I don`t think I`ll be buying it now. I have limited storage here and I was hoping that the overall concensus would be `fantastic`. It sounds as though I will be better staying with the ready milled flour I buy and it is top class from bacheldre mill. I admit defeat and a silly brainstorm moment

http://www.bacheldremill.co.uk/

I wouldn`t hesitate re the purpose built stone mill if I still had the space I had in my old house. Oh well!!
  • doddsy
    • 27th Sep 07, 3:12 PM
    Does anyone have a grain mill?
    • 27th Sep 07, 3:12 PM
    I have been making my own bread for ages and now want to go one step further - milling my own grains. I really like the look of this one

http://www.ukjuicers.com/grainmills/WaldnerBiotechFarina.htm

Does anyone have a grain mill, do you think they are worth the money - and the kitchen space!

doddsy
    We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.
    – Marian Wright Edelman
  • shepherdgirl
    • 29th Nov 10, 2:21 PM
    uses for a grain mill ?
    • 29th Nov 10, 2:21 PM
    Hi folks

I have acquired a grain mill attachment for my Kenwood chef and would love some mse ideas for using it.

Must be something that I can have fun trying

You are all so inspirational and think outside of the box that I look forward to some great replies,

thanks
  • valk_scot
    • 29th Nov 10, 2:23 PM
    • 29th Nov 10, 2:23 PM
    I got one for my Chef. Four years later I'd still not used it, even once, so I sold it on Ebay. Sorry! But I do remember there were several suggestions in the various Kenwood recipe books. Got one of these?
    Val.
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 29th Nov 10, 5:02 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    • 29th Nov 10, 5:02 PM
    • 29th Nov 10, 5:02 PM
    hmmmm how about making your own chickpea flour?

or grinding whole spices ( if the holes aren't too huge)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• shepherdgirl
    Hi

Thanks for the suggestions -

The kenwood book I have mentions rice - not sure what to do with it when its milled tho - LOL

Also what could/would you use the chickpeas for ?

Sorry to be so daft - I'm on a learning curve

I can just about follow most recipes, but not good at improvising.

thanks as always
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 30th Nov 10, 3:21 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    well rice flour gets used instead of normal flour, handy for the gluten intolerant

and heres a linkie for chickpea ideas chickpea flour is also known as gram flour btw

and not daft at all, this place is like an aladdins cave of ideas, once you get on here you never leave
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 30th Nov 10, 7:33 PM
    • 17,084 Posts
    • 132,744 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the existing thread to give you more inspiration
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
    • Addiscomber
    • By Addiscomber 16th Apr 15, 2:16 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Addiscomber
    I have acquired one of these for my A901 Chef. I want to grind flax seeds not grains but it has a lot of flour coating the rollers. Does anyone have any tips for cleaning, or will I just have to run some flax through it and throw it away?
    • DereC
    • By DereC 16th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DereC
    im looking for kenwood sm900, with description "grinding plant made of volcanic stone with infinitely fine adjustment for all cereals and legumes, but not for oilseeds" so it suppose to be stone milled, and also infinitely fine makes my choice. anyone own this one? And important question where to buy quality and not expensive wheat grain?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,128Posts Today

9,135Users online

Martin's Twitter