Red carded while home !

Arrgghh ! Red carded while I'm here again ! It seems impossible for the driver to read the note on the letterbox and walk the ten steps to the side door to ring the bell ! :mad:
Not expecting any prizes but just arranged re-delivery and it is for me from Scarlett Ward ? Just had a quick check and am baffled. nothing on Mse search under that title.

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    gizmobenny wrote: »
    Arrgghh ! Red carded while I'm here again ! It seems impossible for the driver to read the note on the letterbox and walk the ten steps to the side door to ring the bell ! :mad:
    Not expecting any prizes but just arranged re-delivery and it is for me from Scarlett Ward ? Just had a quick check and am baffled. nothing on Mse search under that title.

Why dont you fit the bell at the same door as the letterbox?
  • gizmobenny
    gizmobenny Posts: 1,490 Forumite
    custardy wrote: »
    Why dont you fit the bell at the same door as the letterbox?

The front (where the letterbox is) is only a wheelchair access for our Daughter in law
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    gizmobenny wrote: »
    The front (where the letterbox is) is only a wheelchair access for our Daughter in law

Im not sure of the relevance to having a bell fitted?
    You have your letterbox there,so its natural to assume thats the delivery point,no?
    So fit the bell there.
    You hear it and walk the 'ten steps' from the side door.
  • I'm curious as to whether custardy has a buzzer go off or something whenever anyone on MSE mentions Royal Mail ....?
  • brownhandbag
    brownhandbag Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Sorry I agree with custardy, why not fit a bell at your front door? I would presume a door with a letter box was the place to deliver to
    total wins 2013 £5500 2014 £7500 2015 £23,900 2016 £10,650 2017 £13,040 2018 £10,620 2019 £10,115 2020 £3970.00
    ITV Winners Club Member #131
  • Just a thought, but do you enter comps on goodreads at all? I googled Scarlett Ward and there seems to be an author with that name on there. Maybe a book win?
  • renegadia
    renegadia Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    You can write whatever you like on a note, protocol is to ignore them. If postie knocks the delivery point, gets no answer and writes the card out, he's merely doing his job.

Either move your doorbell to the front door, or move your delivery point to the side door. Alternatively, next time you see him, just ask him if he can ring the bell or knock really loudly? If you're nice about it he's more inclined to do you the favour. I've similar arrangements with customers on my rounds, on the other hand I've also got customers that get absoultely no favours from me nowadays.
    Golly, I've got the newt pregnant...

**Gulp**
  • gizmobenny
    gizmobenny Posts: 1,490 Forumite
    There is no front door. The metal USA style letterbox is mounted on a wall with a metal plaque showing the way to the side door and bell.
    Yes it was a prize from Sparkle magazine .. A dancing Barbie and horse :)
  • Here is a tip which can help if you have only missed the postman's knock by a few minutes or so.

The other day the postman tried to deliver my Crosse & Blackwell prize microwaveable soup-mug. Either I failed to hear the doorbell or I was out in the back garden. When I went into the hall I noticed I had been 'Red-Carded but the time on the card was only 8 minutes prior to this.

I quickly ran down the road with the Red-Card plus my ID. I couldn't find the postman but I found his Royal Mail van parked at the end of the street. I knew all I had to do was just wait for him and after about another 15 minutes he returned to the van having delivered to the adjacent streets. He then gave me my soup-mug in exchange for the Red-Card.

It was a bit of hassle but at least it saved me waiting till the next day and a trip across town to the sorting office to claim my parcel.

So if you get Red-Carded just go and look if the Royal Mail van is still in the neighbourhood.
  • Blueyez
    Blueyez Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    Here is a tip which can help if you have only missed the postman's knock by a few minutes or so.

The other day the postman tried to deliver my Crosse & Blackwell prize microwaveable soup-mug. Either I failed to hear the doorbell or I was out in the back garden. When I went into the hall I noticed I had been 'Red-Carded but the time on the card was only 8 minutes prior to this.

I quickly ran down the road with the Red-Card plus my ID. I couldn't find the postman but I found his Royal Mail van parked at the end of the street. I knew all I had to do was just wait for him and after about another 15 minutes he returned to the van having delivered to the adjacent streets. He then gave me my soup-mug in exchange for the Red-Card.

It was a bit of hassle but at least it saved me waiting till the next day and a trip across town to the sorting office to claim my parcel.

So if you get Red-Carded just go and look if the Royal Mail van is still in the neighbourhood.

I was Red-carded on Monday, I was upstairs and by the time I got to the door he'd gone- I popped my head out of the door and he was at nextdoor but one trying to off load it there.:)
    2018 wins-12wins
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport