Adjusted net income and P11d benefits

Options
Workerbee999
Workerbee999 Posts: 115 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 17 March 2019 at 4:32PM in Cutting tax
Hi

This year my Taxable pay per my payslip for this tax year is going to be X

However I have approximately £4,000 P11d benefits which are the reason my tax code is 707L rather than a full personal allowance of £11,000.

I am trying to make sure that my adjusted net income does not go over £100,000 to avoid losing any of my personal allowance. To achieve this I would put any extra in my pension if necessary.

The gov website says "money you earn from employment (including any benefits you get from your job)". This would suggest to me that I need to add the 4,000 p11d benefits to the x which is xSo I would need to put around an extra into my pension.

I have asked my payroll dept but the only person available didn't seem too sure. I don't want to think it is fine now, and then get an extra tax bill in my tax code next year when the p11d benefits are submitted, if I can avoid it in advance.

Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks

Comments

• Credit-Crunched
    Options
    Hi

This year my Taxable pay per my payslip for this tax year is going to be £97,631.

However I have approximately £4,000 P11d benefits which are the reason my tax code is 707L rather than a full personal allowance of £11,000.

I am trying to make sure that my adjusted net income does not go over £100,000 to avoid losing any of my personal allowance. To achieve this I would put any extra in my pension if necessary.

The gov website says "money you earn from employment (including any benefits you get from your job)". This would suggest to me that I need to add the 4,000 p11d benefits to the 97,631, which is 101,631. So I would need to put around an extra £1,600 into my pension.

I have asked my payroll dept but the only person available didn't seem too sure. I don't want to think it is fine now, and then get an extra tax bill in my tax code next year when the p11d benefits are submitted, if I can avoid it in advance.

Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks

It does not actually reduce your personal allowance, you still have the 11k. HMRC juut adjust your tax code to allow for the P11d Value.

You adjusted net income in your case will be salary, plus p11d value less any GROSS personal pension contributions. So your assumptions are correct

The personal allowance is taken off AFTER this, so your total income is

£97,631 + £4,000 = £101,631. You will need to pay in £1305 (1631 * .8) to ensure your salary stays under 100k.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Don't forget to include any other taxable income in your ani calculation, for example savings interest.

All savings interest (excluding normal non taxable things like ISA's) remains taxable, even the personal savings allowance amount of £500 is taxable (at 0%) and counts towards your total income
  • Workerbee999
    Options
    Thank you for the confirmation.

I don't have any other income to take into account and my company offers salary sacrifice, so I assume I would just ask them to deduct the extra pension contribution of approx 1650 from my gross pay?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport