Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pamrleader
    • By pamrleader 16th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 41Thanks
    pamrleader
    Dentist didn't advise me of costs...help!
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    Dentist didn't advise me of costs...help! 16th Mar 17 at 6:35 PM
    Hi, just wondered if anyone could advise me. I went to the dentist last week and she said I grind my teeth. She asked if I wanted a mouth guard. I said yes. She took an impression of my lower teeth and that was it. I paid for my NHS check up and left. Well, I just phoned up now whilst noticing my insurance doesn't pay for any type of mouth guard and they told me that it would be in Band 3 and would cost £233.

I said I was not told of the cost (and naively I didn't ask) so I need it to be cancelled as I can't afford it.

The receptionist told me to phone back Monday when the dentist is back in. I am not paying that, plus I was not told and never signed anything. Can the dentist do anything to make me pay, like send an invoice or something?

I am shocked that my dentist didn't have the decency to tell me how much it would cost, it came across that it was no big deal.

Any advice would be great, this is kind of freaking me out!

Thanks
Page 1
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 16th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 9,194 Posts
    • 116,906 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    Why did you not ask first?
    Sun, Sea
    • pamrleader
    • By pamrleader 16th Mar 17, 6:42 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    pamrleader
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:42 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:42 PM
    Stupidity! I also thought it would be covered in my insurance.

But shouldn't she have told me the cost?
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 16th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    Were you not given a treatment plan? It's a blue form that details your treatment and the cost.

If she's taken an impression it's likely they will have been sent off for your guard to be made up. If this is the case you're going to be charged.
    • tensandunits
    • By tensandunits 16th Mar 17, 6:43 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    tensandunits
    It is strange that you weren't informed. Did you not have to sign anything?
    • pamrleader
    • By pamrleader 16th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    pamrleader
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    No. No treatment plan, no blue form. Just given receipts for my check up and hygienist clean.
    • pamrleader
    • By pamrleader 16th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    pamrleader
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    Didn't sign anything
    • Apollonia
    • By Apollonia 16th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 935 Thanks
    Apollonia
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    Don't panic yet.

Yes, the dentist should have discussed costs with you and under the NHS banding system, anything made in a lab is Band 3.

BUT some items are actually cheaper when paid for privately rather than NHS Band 3 and that may be the case here.

Speak to the dentist and find out exactly what's what. Reception staff don't always have the full details.
    • pamrleader
    • By pamrleader 16th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    pamrleader
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    Ok thanks I will do. I definitely signed an NHS form when I got there, that would have been for the checkup. The hygienist was private, I know that. But would it be easy to switch between NHS and private?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Mar 17, 7:13 PM
    • 12,846 Posts
    • 35,257 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I would have thought any dentist (via their receptionist) would have to give the cost of treatment plan to the patient at the time the appointment happened at which this was proposed.

I think I've always had that if it was going to be a noticeable cost. I've duly got a letter from the receptionist about my next visit to the dentist - informing me I'll be due to pay over £100 for the 2 fillings they propose to do then. It does say the word "estimate" on it rather than "quotation" - so I guess, in theory, they'd be allowed to up it a few £. In practice - I wouldnt think they would dare to - as I have it in writing (even if headed by that "estimate" word).

I would have thought the NHS had to operate the same way.

One of the dentists on here will probably be along shortly - to confirm whether there is a law/regulation/etc compelling dentists to give written notification of cost of treatment over a certain amount and if the amount this dentist has quoted you is over that amount = then on their head be it. You'd just refuse and find another dentist later on.
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • pamrleader
    • By pamrleader 16th Mar 17, 7:20 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    pamrleader
    Ok thank you. Yes I would have thought I would have been given an indication of costs. I know it's my fault to an extent for not asking but surely the dentist has a duty to their patients to advise upfront of costs. I am going to phone my insurance in the morning to double check if it's definitely not covered. But even if it is, I feel so annoyed at the dentist for keeping me in the dark that I don't want to pay out of principal!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 16th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 7,879 Posts
    • 4,697 Thanks
    teddysmum
    My dentist has an NHS band description and price list poster in the waiting room.
    • pamrleader
    • By pamrleader 16th Mar 17, 9:39 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    pamrleader
    Not sure if mine does but I checked their website and it is on there. However, mouth guards aren't mentioned as a treatment option.
    • justme111
    • By justme111 16th Mar 17, 9:58 PM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    justme111
    Ask them to show you what forms you signed and where does it specify nightguard on the signed form. If things are the way you say they would not have it or they would have it but with your signature done before dentist given you the treatment plan and both are big no-no, if you complaint to local NHS area team they would be in a big trouble. My guess is they know it and not going to push it. Then ask yourself what do you like at this dentist's.
    • pamrleader
    • By pamrleader 16th Mar 17, 10:17 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    pamrleader
    Yes you are right. I will phone again in the morning as I won't get a chance to pop in before work...and I'll ask them if I signed a form. They will probably tell me to wait until the dentist is back in on Monday and then phone then. But I am sure the only thing I signed was the blue NHS declaration form when I first got there. I am sure I would have remembered had I seen the cost. Although you start doubting yourself in these situations.

But thanks for the advice. I'll report back once I have an answer!
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 17th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    brook2jack
    It is a requirement that any NHS band two or band three treatment requires a fp17dc (an itemised estimate of costs) to be given and signed by the patient.

Many dentists provide bite guards privately as it can often be cheaper than the NHS cost , just about the only thing that is.

If you have not signed and got a copy of the fp17dc you may have several options as it is unlikely the lab work can be cancelled at this late date

Ask if it can be charged privately
    Pay the NHS charge
    Refuse to pay but accept you will probably not be able to be seen at the practice again .

If you have signed the fp17dc then you will have to pay.

Unfortunately there are so many pieces of paper etc to be filled out for NHS treatment it is very easy to forget the estimate on occasion.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 17th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    Undervalued
    It is a requirement that any NHS band two or band three treatment requires a fp17dc (an itemised estimate of costs) to be given and signed by the patient.

Many dentists provide bite guards privately as it can often be cheaper than the NHS cost , just about the only thing that is.

If you have not signed and got a copy of the fp17dc you may have several options as it is unlikely the lab work can be cancelled at this late date

Ask if it can be charged privately
    Pay the NHS charge
    Refuse to pay but accept you will probably not be able to be seen at the practice again .

If you have signed the fp17dc then you will have to pay.

Unfortunately there are so many pieces of paper etc to be filled out for NHS treatment it is very easy to forget the estimate on occasion.
    Originally posted by brook2jack
    Assuming the OP has not signed the fp17dc form then, as I read what you are saying, the dentist is at fault?

Why then should the patient be disadvantaged (i.e refused further treatment) because the dentist didn't do their job properly?

Sorry but "too many forms" or the NHS is terrible to dentists just doesn't cut it. Either they should do their contracted job properly or not at all surely?
    • pamrleader
    • By pamrleader 17th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    pamrleader
    I, 100%, did not sign the fp17dc form.

I phoned the dentist again this morning to talk to another receptionist (I know the dentist is not in until Monday) just to see if I could get anymore clarification. The receptionist was surprised I didn't sign any form but told me she would put a note on my file and get the dentist to phone me on Monday.

I will refuse to pay. I know I could return in the future for check ups etc. But the whole ordeal has really put me off going there again.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 18th Mar 17, 7:13 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Ok thank you. Yes I would have thought I would have been given an indication of costs. I know it's my fault to an extent for not asking but surely the dentist has a duty to their patients to advise upfront of costs. I am going to phone my insurance in the morning to double check if it's definitely not covered. But even if it is, I feel so annoyed at the dentist for keeping me in the dark that I don't want to pay out of principal!
    Originally posted by pamrleader
    Your principle is damaging your teeth.
    It really doesn't matter what you signed or didn't sign. If you need the guard to break your habit, then buy it and have nice teeth.
    Last edited by Pop Up Pirate; 18-03-2017 at 7:16 AM.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 18th Mar 17, 9:49 PM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 25,400 Thanks
    maddiemay
    It would appear that you would really benefit from having the night guard, can you negotiate with the dentist to say pay the cost over 3 or 4 months, perhaps even 6. You really do not want to cause yourself problems for the future and if you go somewhere else the cost would be the same.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,893Posts Today

8,592Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin