What determines a valuer undervaluing...

Options
If I opt for a homebuyers report - will this make the valuation more realistic versus a desktop/drive by valuation....

I am concerned my valuation will come back lower than the offer price....by a 1 to 5 thousand...

Comments

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never seen a valuation report £1k below offer, they would normally just put offer price if it was that close. They go off sold property prices, market conditions and experience. If they value it much lower you have probably overpaid.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for a purchase the surveyor will always actually inspect the property rather than merely do a desktop/drive by valuation.

Homebuyers report will be more accurate in terms of time spent inspecting the condition (rather than merely guessing about the bits they don't look at), if that's what you mean by "realistic"?
  • Keezing
    Keezing Posts: 322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    FIRSTTIMER wrote: »
    If I opt for a homebuyers report - will this make the valuation more realistic versus a desktop/drive by valuation....

I am concerned my valuation will come back lower than the offer price....by a 1 to 5 thousand...

Why would you be concerned?

If the valuer values the property at 1-5k less than you offered you should send them a bottle of champagne to say thank you
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FIRSTTIMER wrote: »

For that size of sum. Suggests that there's work that should be undertaken. While not critical at the moment. If not addressed could result in far bigger problems. Normally dealt with by means of a retention. Rather than undervaluation.
  • minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for a purchase the surveyor will always actually inspect the property rather than merely do a desktop/drive by valuation.

Homebuyers report will be more accurate in terms of time spent inspecting the condition (rather than merely guessing about the bits they don't look at), if that's what you mean by "realistic"?

Not every time, no.
    Desktop valuations for purchases are now a "thing".
  • suzikettles
    Options
    its a nightmare! new build came back at 12500 below asking price, surveyor didn't set foot in it and absolutely no comeback a lose lose situation.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure