Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sam M
    • By MSE Sam M 14th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    • 222Posts
    • 155Thanks
    MSE Sam M
    MoneySaving Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
    • 14th Mar 17, 2:08 PM
    MoneySaving Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country? 14th Mar 17 at 2:08 PM
    Poll started 14 March 2017

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Nicola Sturgeon has demanded a second referendum on Scottish independence. Last time, the question asked was: "Should Scotland be an independent country?"

If the referendum takes place, while only people in Scotland would vote, we wanted to see answers from across the UK. (We're aware some campaigning may take place with this poll so treat it as a bit of fun rather than an authoritative representation.)

Please choose one option in the relevant category.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 1
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 14th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:12 PM
    We already answered this question and the majority of the voters said NO.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1226.3
    This week 77.42
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 14th Mar 17, 3:50 PM
    • 36,950 Posts
    • 5,901,095 Thanks
    One-Eye
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:50 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 3:50 PM
    Sturgeon justifies the demand for a referendum on the grounds that Scotland didn't vote for Brexit so they should be allowed to leave the UK and rejoin the EU as an independent country.

So, if Scotland as a whole voted narrowly for independence but Shetland and Orkney voted decisively to remain in the UK (as they did last time), then by the same logic the islands should be allowed to leave Scotland and remain in the UK.

I wonder what the SNP's "2014 independence budget" looks like without Shetland and Orkney's oil revenues, and with the oil at today's lower price ($55 v $98 in September 2014)

But, before any referendum takes place, I think she should get assurances from all the other EU countries that they would not veto Scotland's EU membership. Good luck trying to get such an assurance from Spain.
    • RichardKing
    • By RichardKing 14th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    RichardKing
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    EU membership = 'Independence'??
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    How can Scotland leaving the UK, and being shackled to the EU and the Euro be seen as any sort of 'Independance?? Is this a joke??
    • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • By HAMISH_MCTAVISH 14th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 24,477 Posts
    • 54,960 Thanks
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    Good luck trying to get such an assurance from Spain.
    Originally posted by One-Eye
    OK then....

SPAIN would not block a bid by Scotland to rejoin the EU, according to a senior MEP from the country’s ruling party.

Esteban Gonzalez Pons from Mariano Rajoy’s Popular Party said the Catalonian situation was “very different” to that in Scotland, and indicated concerns over the possible breakaway of the province from Spain would not be an obstacle if a newly independent Scotland wanted to join the EU
    http://www.thenational.scot/news/15149387
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
    -- President John F. Kennedy”
    • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • By HAMISH_MCTAVISH 14th Mar 17, 7:40 PM
    • 24,477 Posts
    • 54,960 Thanks
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:40 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:40 PM
    How can Scotland leaving the UK, and being shackled to the EU and the Euro be seen as any sort of 'Independance??
    Originally posted by RichardKing
    As a region of the UK the Scots have zero control over their immigration policy, zero control over their border policy, zero control over their trade policy, zero control over their VAT and Corporate tax policy, and next to zero control over National Insurance and the vast majority of income taxation.

Even as a fully signed up member of the EU they'd have infinitely more control and sovereignty over their own affairs than they do today as a region of the UK.

For that matter - most US states within a large 'Federal' nation have more control over their own affairs than Scotland does at the moment - so even with the possibility of a European 'Federal Superstate' at some point in the future it would still result in more national level control and vastly more 'sovereignty' for Scotland than it has today.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
    -- President John F. Kennedy”
    • bobfalfa
    • By bobfalfa 14th Mar 17, 11:57 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    bobfalfa
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:57 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 11:57 PM
    The question put in 2014 was not the actual question Scotland wanted, Cameron choose it,We had a load of trash both Z rated celebs and EDL up here lying their heads off , and I noted that the Liberals have dragged the Liar Allistar Carmichael out ( and Three judges said he was, read the transcript)

That aside all May need to do was talk to Scotland,BUT she is so stupid she has had the offer for what 5 months and sat on her hands,
    How can you say she stupid? Look to the west and NI , there is her biggest problem if the Stormont Agreement goes belly up, there is another Consumer forum who posts accurate info on the subject , from accurate reporters and not the trash rags
    Last edited by bobfalfa; 15-03-2017 at 4:35 PM.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 8,122 Posts
    • 12,259 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    I think it's absolutely right that Scotland gets to decide its future. My opinion ends there, however I feel very sorry for the all the arguments, bile and hate that will pour forth from all sides over the coming X years.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • bobfalfa
    • By bobfalfa 15th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    bobfalfa
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:51 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    A referendum on Scottish independence took place on 18 September 2014. The majority of voters have said NO! The same thing seems to be happening here in the UK. Britain voted to leave the EU, but the politicians just can't get their head around that decision.

Democracy under threat?
    You think?
    Oh you do of course
    Better Together went round round care homes and told the old folks that , the following would happen , their pensions would stop,the care would stop,and they would be out the EU, and can we give you a hand to fill in the forms.

The discussion was going well Tank Commander Davidson, mention the words Subsidy Junkie at the Tory Conference the statistics show that she was lying .
    The labour party in cuddles and kisses with the BNP,NF EDL
    I have a well above average knowledge of English history
    How much do you know of Scottish?

Cameron EVEL that's OK for you , yet YOU want to Interfere in Scottish affairs.......Our NHS is doing a lot best that the E&W one.

however I feel very sorry for the all the arguments, bile and hate that will pour forth from all sides over the coming X years.
    To be clear about the crap that is being allegedly thrown about look at the report to the Police from the like of Jackey, Davidson Dugdale ,Izzard and the rest on that side and compare it to a days of Sturgeon's which are reported.

Farage came up here and got locked in a pub,he blamed Salmond and the SNP........Who orchestrated it ?
    English protesters who came up to demonstrate against his right wing policies
    Last edited by bobfalfa; 15-03-2017 at 4:38 PM.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 15th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 3,652 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    How come its always if Scotland wants to leave and not if the UK wants Scotland? The UK and England in particular is worse off in the deal. Scotland gets a lot from being part of the UK. Personally if they think they can do so well on their own then they should be let go. Europe has already told Scotland that they would be at the back of a very long queue if they wanted to join EU
    • vickyanne
    • By vickyanne 15th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    vickyanne
    Yes, let them vote again, things have changed. If you're leaving I want to come with you.
    • Johnnietabby
    • By Johnnietabby 15th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johnnietabby
    Sure but only once we leave the EU
    I have no objection to the Scottish people having a vote but only once we leave the EU. After all we joined as one country and should leave as one country. No ifs no buts. It is clear under EU regulations that one country should leave the EU IT cannot split the nation so that part of it can remain.
    So good luck to the Scottish people after brexit
    • bobfalfa
    • By bobfalfa 15th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    bobfalfa
    How come its always if Scotland wants to leave and not if the UK wants Scotland? The UK and England in particular is worse off in the deal. Scotland gets a lot from being part of the UK. Personally if they think they can do so well on their own then they should be let go. Europe has already told Scotland that they would be at the back of a very long queue if they wanted to join EU
    As of yesterday I would not be so sure....It's painfully obvious that looking at the Seig Mail,Daily Excess and Torygraph and Order Order what you think of us

Yes, let them vote again, things have changed. If you're leaving I want to come with you.
    You would be most welcome.most English(I make an assumption) who settled voted for independence( I think the figure was circa 90%) in 2014, as did others from other countries
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 15th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    beardiedog
    I couldn't care really TBH but swayed in favour of YES.

Either way, it will hopefully stop Nicola Sturgeon bleating on about it every second of the day.
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 15th Mar 17, 3:38 PM
    • 2,245 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    movilogo
    England/Wales/NI should have its own referendum whether they want Scotland to be part of UK exactly 7 days before Scottish referendum.

However, the crankie can choose which option to agree with.

1. Scotland remains or leaves union based on BOTH what rUK says and Scotland says (i.e. if rUK says Remain and Scotland says Out then Scotland stays in union)

2. Scotland remains or leaves union based on EITHER of what rUK says and Scotland says (i.e. Scotland is OUT if rUK says Out and Scotland says Remain).
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
    • bobfalfa
    • By bobfalfa 15th Mar 17, 3:39 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    bobfalfa
    You would bleat IF YOU were constantly lied to,
    Cameron should have kept his word , as should have May

BTW have you ever heard NS speak?

There is one on you tube at the LSE
    • bobfalfa
    • By bobfalfa 15th Mar 17, 3:45 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    bobfalfa
    I was brought up to show respect
    movilogo and you come out with pish.

BTW the Krankies are both Tories
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 8,122 Posts
    • 12,259 Thanks
    worried jim
    I was brought up to show respect
    movilogo and you come out with pish.

BTW the Krankies are both Tories
    Originally posted by bobfalfa
    Boom! boom!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Dave1979
    • By Dave1979 15th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Dave1979
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    There is no queue! You apply and if you meet the conditions you get in. Scotland, as part of the UK, already meets all of these. The idea at the moment is to join the EEA until a central bank is set up that complies with Euro entry. Although taking the Euro is not mandatory - Sweden doesn't look like it will ever join.
    • JBR*
    • By JBR* 15th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JBR*
    Independence for Scotland
    I'm English and live in England, yet I voted in favour of Scottish independence.

I'm sick of hearing the whingeing fish woman and her SNP lackeys, so I'd be very happy to see Scotland become independent from the UK.

It would save England a lot of money and, best of all, it would result in the fish woman being lynched by her countrymen when it becomes apparent that they'll be bankrupt withing a few years!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter