Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • babss
    • By babss 11th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 6Thanks
    babss
    Should I add my name on deed or not?
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    Should I add my name on deed or not? 11th Mar 17 at 8:20 PM
    Hi looking for advice on having my name added onto the deeds of my mothers house. She owns her own home as my sister and I gave her the money for it. I have been told that if Mum adds my name to the deeds that the house will automatically be transferred to me on her passing (my sister can't be added for financial reasons). However what I would like to know is that if Mum puts my name on the deeds will I be liable to pay the rates? as at the minute Mum gets rates relief as Mum is a pensioner (late 70's). The house is valued about £80000, she won't write a will and we are afraid that if anything should happen that some else in the family might stake a claim to the property.
    would appreciate any help or advice on this matter
    Thankyou Babss
Page 1
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 12th Mar 17, 2:47 AM
    • 4,223 Posts
    • 3,693 Thanks
    Old Git
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:47 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:47 AM
    Hi looking for advice on having my name added onto the deeds of my mothers house. She owns her own home as my sister and I gave her the money for it. I have been told that if Mum adds my name to the deeds that the house will automatically be transferred to me on her passing (my sister can't be added for financial reasons). However what I would like to know is that if Mum puts my name on the deeds will I be liable to pay the rates? as at the minute Mum gets rates relief as Mum is a pensioner (late 70's). The house is valued about £80000, she won't write a will and we are afraid that if anything should happen that some else in the family might stake a claim to the property.
    would appreciate any help or advice on this matter
    Thankyou Babss
    Originally posted by babss
    see a solicitor and get proper advice.If you put the house in joint names you dont automatically inherit her half .Your mother needs to make a will.Have you considered what would happen if your mother needed to go into a care home .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • Ticked
    • By Ticked 12th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    Ticked
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    • 12th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    I strongly second Old Git. Go and get proper advice, you could regret it if you don't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,391Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin