Should I add my name on deed or not?

babss
babss Posts: 48 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi looking for advice on having my name added onto the deeds of my mothers house. She owns her own home as my sister and I gave her the money for it. I have been told that if Mum adds my name to the deeds that the house will automatically be transferred to me on her passing (my sister can't be added for financial reasons). However what I would like to know is that if Mum puts my name on the deeds will I be liable to pay the rates? as at the minute Mum gets rates relief as Mum is a pensioner (late 70's). The house is valued about £80000, she won't write a will and we are afraid that if anything should happen that some else in the family might stake a claim to the property.
would appreciate any help or advice on this matter
Thankyou Babss

Comments

• Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    babss wrote: »
    Hi looking for advice on having my name added onto the deeds of my mothers house. She owns her own home as my sister and I gave her the money for it. I have been told that if Mum adds my name to the deeds that the house will automatically be transferred to me on her passing (my sister can't be added for financial reasons). However what I would like to know is that if Mum puts my name on the deeds will I be liable to pay the rates? as at the minute Mum gets rates relief as Mum is a pensioner (late 70's). The house is valued about £80000, she won't write a will and we are afraid that if anything should happen that some else in the family might stake a claim to the property.
    would appreciate any help or advice on this matter
    Thankyou Babss

see a solicitor and get proper advice.If you put the house in joint names you dont automatically inherit her half .Your mother needs to make a will.Have you considered what would happen if your mother needed to go into a care home .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Ticked
    Ticked Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I strongly second Old Git. Go and get proper advice, you could regret it if you don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure