Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mkbswimstar
    • By mkbswimstar 14th Oct 16, 10:17 PM
    • 230Posts
    • 125Thanks
    mkbswimstar
    Ex emigrating but named on joint mortgage
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:17 PM
    Ex emigrating but named on joint mortgage 14th Oct 16 at 10:17 PM
    Hi, I have just found out my ex is emigrating and he is named on our mortgage. We split 3 years ago and agreed I would pay the mortgage with him going down to 0% on the deeds.

I don't earn enough money to take the mortgage on in my own name so he took a payout to leave and agreed to remain named on the mortgage until our youngest child turns 18. That is 8 years away.

I don't want to alert the mortgage lender to him moving away in case they don't allow him to remain on the mortgage and therefore force me to sell the house and move.

However I am worried that they will find out and just do it anyway. He signed the contract with me via a solicitor stating he would remain on it.

Does anyone know where I stand please?
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 14th Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    • 51,321 Posts
    • 43,142 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    Unless your ex has made arrangements. Sounds as if they are walking away. All you can do is keep paying the mortgage.
    “A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against ‘a rainy day’.”
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 15th Oct 16, 9:51 AM
    • 34,078 Posts
    • 142,474 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:51 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:51 AM
    I don't want to alert the mortgage lender to him moving away in case they don't allow him to remain on the mortgage and therefore force me to sell the house and move.
    This can't happen. They can't refuse to allow him to remain on the mortgage. Though you gain nothing by telling them that he has done a runner.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 15th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 15th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    As long as the mortgage is being paid, the lender won't care who lives where. I would keep my mouth shut.
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • muhandis
    • By muhandis 15th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    muhandis
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    I agree. There nothing to be gained by talking to the lender.

As long as the mortgage is being paid, the lender won't care who lives where. I would keep my mouth shut.
    Originally posted by usefulmale
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,382Posts Today

5,980Users online

Martin's Twitter