Ex emigrating but named on joint mortgage

Options
Hi, I have just found out my ex is emigrating and he is named on our mortgage. We split 3 years ago and agreed I would pay the mortgage with him going down to 0% on the deeds.

I don't earn enough money to take the mortgage on in my own name so he took a payout to leave and agreed to remain named on the mortgage until our youngest child turns 18. That is 8 years away.

I don't want to alert the mortgage lender to him moving away in case they don't allow him to remain on the mortgage and therefore force me to sell the house and move.

However I am worried that they will find out and just do it anyway. He signed the contract with me via a solicitor stating he would remain on it.

Does anyone know where I stand please?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless your ex has made arrangements. Sounds as if they are walking away. All you can do is keep paying the mortgage.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't want to alert the mortgage lender to him moving away in case they don't allow him to remain on the mortgage and therefore force me to sell the house and move.

This can't happen. They can't refuse to allow him to remain on the mortgage. Though you gain nothing by telling them that he has done a runner.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    As long as the mortgage is being paid, the lender won't care who lives where. I would keep my mouth shut.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree. There nothing to be gained by talking to the lender.
    usefulmale wrote: »
    As long as the mortgage is being paid, the lender won't care who lives where. I would keep my mouth shut.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure