PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Poshed up macaroni cheese.

I have just seen the advert for Morrisons the best macaroni cheese that had crab in it. I can't say I fancy crab and I am not keen on ready meals.
It got me thinking how could the humble macaroni cheese be improved?
I have added mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes, smoked haddock, broccoli (not all at the same time)
What's your favourites?

Comments

• Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,873 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I haven't seen the ad but crab? Not sure about that :(

I have to admit that we cheat and do N!gellas express recipe for mac n cheese. Cooked macaroni, with a sauce made of a tin of evaporated milk, 2 eggs, 250g cheese (usually Red Leicester but cheddar otherwise), nutmeg and seasoning. Whisk up and pour over macaroni and bung in the oven. The most exciting variation we have done is to add fried bacon bits or pancetta if I have some in.

DH added homegrown tomatoes to the top the other day and the children went mad! We would definiately not get away with crab!

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Fried onions and peas, a dollop of blue cheese if you like the flavour.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    chorizo and a little cream perhaps? x
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Steamed broccoli and/or cauliflower. One of my favourite quick meals with crusty bread.
    What do you serve it with? We have it as a main meal but my sister serves it as a side with bacon and potatoes.
  • Slowly57
    Slowly57 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    A bit of mustard stirred in, parmesan + black pepper on top - served over brown rice with a side of roast tomatoes mmm. Or this:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8834/bestever-macaroni-cheese
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Smoked salmon (the cheap trimmings are perfect)
    Smoked bacon
    Mustard
    Blue cheese

All nice additions to mac cheese
    Zebras rock
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Lobster is popular in the states so I hear

I just like chopped bacon and topped with tomatoes
  • I usually add tomatoes, as it cuts through the cloyingness of the cheese sauce, well for me anyway!
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Why oh why would you put something as delicate as crab in a bloody mac n cheese? It suits having as little done to it as possible, simple salad or something.

As for mac n cheese I adore pasta, I could live off it but I have been scared off mac n cheese following horrifying school dinners!!!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oakdene wrote: »
    Why oh why would you put something as delicate as crab in a bloody mac n cheese? It suits having as little done to it as possible, simple salad or something.

As for mac n cheese I adore pasta, I could live off it but I have been scared off mac n cheese following horrifying school dinners!!!

Same here. DH tells me he liked it as a child and I've seen it on a number of restaurant/pub menus lately but can't bring myself to try. I hate gloop.

The nearest I'd have would be cauliflower cheese and I always add broccoli and put sliced tomatoes on top. I serve it as a side with gammon or fish rather than a main.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure