Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 11th Oct 16, 11:37 PM
    • 2,584Posts
    • 15,766Thanks
    JIL
    Poshed up macaroni cheese.
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:37 PM
    Poshed up macaroni cheese. 11th Oct 16 at 11:37 PM
    I have just seen the advert for Morrisons the best macaroni cheese that had crab in it. I can't say I fancy crab and I am not keen on ready meals.
    It got me thinking how could the humble macaroni cheese be improved?
    I have added mushrooms, bacon, tomatoes, smoked haddock, broccoli (not all at the same time)
    What's your favourites?
Page 1
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Oct 16, 5:27 AM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 23,708 Thanks
    Coxy11
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:27 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:27 AM
    I haven't seen the ad but crab? Not sure about that

I have to admit that we cheat and do N!gellas express recipe for mac n cheese. Cooked macaroni, with a sauce made of a tin of evaporated milk, 2 eggs, 250g cheese (usually Red Leicester but cheddar otherwise), nutmeg and seasoning. Whisk up and pour over macaroni and bung in the oven. The most exciting variation we have done is to add fried bacon bits or pancetta if I have some in.

DH added homegrown tomatoes to the top the other day and the children went mad! We would definiately not get away with crab!

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Currently reading: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 12th Oct 16, 5:43 AM
    • 5,420 Posts
    • 36,158 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:43 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 5:43 AM
    Fried onions and peas, a dollop of blue cheese if you like the flavour.
    No challenges for December.
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 12th Oct 16, 6:29 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 4,877 Thanks
    t14cy t
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:29 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:29 AM
    chorizo and a little cream perhaps? x
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 12th Oct 16, 6:35 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 3,208 Thanks
    Cappella
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:35 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:35 AM
    Steamed broccoli and/or cauliflower. One of my favourite quick meals with crusty bread.
    What do you serve it with? We have it as a main meal but my sister serves it as a side with bacon and potatoes.
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 12th Oct 16, 8:31 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Slowly57
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:31 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:31 AM
    A bit of mustard stirred in, parmesan + black pepper on top - served over brown rice with a side of roast tomatoes mmm. Or this:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8834/bestever-macaroni-cheese
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 12th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • 809 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    kathrynha
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    Smoked salmon (the cheap trimmings are perfect)
    Smoked bacon
    Mustard
    Blue cheese

All nice additions to mac cheese
    Living within my means and saving what's left
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 9,490 Posts
    • 21,094 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    Lobster is popular in the states so I hear

I just like chopped bacon and topped with tomatoes
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • GreenBitterfly
    • By GreenBitterfly 12th Oct 16, 11:14 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    GreenBitterfly
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:14 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:14 AM
    I usually add tomatoes, as it cuts through the cloyingness of the cheese sauce, well for me anyway!
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Why oh why would you put something as delicate as crab in a bloody mac n cheese? It suits having as little done to it as possible, simple salad or something.

As for mac n cheese I adore pasta, I could live off it but I have been scared off mac n cheese following horrifying school dinners!!!
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Oct 16, 11:34 AM
    • 15,002 Posts
    • 88,481 Thanks
    maman
    Why oh why would you put something as delicate as crab in a bloody mac n cheese? It suits having as little done to it as possible, simple salad or something.

As for mac n cheese I adore pasta, I could live off it but I have been scared off mac n cheese following horrifying school dinners!!!
    Originally posted by Oakdene

Same here. DH tells me he liked it as a child and I've seen it on a number of restaurant/pub menus lately but can't bring myself to try. I hate gloop.

The nearest I'd have would be cauliflower cheese and I always add broccoli and put sliced tomatoes on top. I serve it as a side with gammon or fish rather than a main.
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 12th Oct 16, 11:53 AM
    • 809 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    I was put off it as a child by the tinned stuff, and wouldn't eat it at all, but then I lived in the US for a while, and got given some home made mac cheese and loved it.
    Living within my means and saving what's left
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    • 8,870 Posts
    • 96,600 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I use pasta fusilli (twists) rather than macaroni, and I make my cheese sauce with diced onion, diced Qu0rn bacon-style slices, chopped cherry tomatoes, mixed herbs, and extra extra mature Cheddar from the farmers market.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 12th Oct 16, 1:10 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 35,183 Thanks
    maryb
    I love adding leeks and bacon to macaroni cheese
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Oct 16, 2:27 PM
    • 55,957 Posts
    • 321,494 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I tend to like my food fairly plain, with the minimum of ingredients, so I've always been happy enough with plain mac/cheese.

If I HAD to "do more" to it I'd slice a tomato on top and grill it so it goes brown .... but, in all honesty, "there are no points for presentation" here and to do more would involve having those other things in the house .... so the fewer the ingredients the better it works in a single household.
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 12th Oct 16, 3:11 PM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 8,725 Thanks
    phizzimum
    In our house we love it served with Sauerkraut. Got a taste for it on holiday in Austria, and was pleased to find that Waitrose sell it here.
    weaving through the chaos...
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 5,932 Posts
    • 14,897 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Whenever I cook macaroni cheese (real white sauce, carefully added cheeses, over heaps of pasta, the menfolk appear and demand I add bacon.
    They are Really Not given to vegetarian notions.

When we're low on cheese & bacon I'll still *call* it 'macaroni cheese with bacon' but sling in chunks of colourful peppers, petit pois, sweetcorn & bump up the amount of freshly ground black pepper. The chaps wolf it all with splendidly little fuss. "Poshed up" it ain't but stretched further definitely.

Add crab?! I can't always afford enough bacon...
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 12th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    • 3,724 Posts
    • 7,760 Thanks
    minimad1970
    I always add bacon and mushrooms and then either mustard powder or a bit of stilton. I mix grated cheese with oats to go on top, or a bashed up bag of crisps mixed with the cheese.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 12th Oct 16, 11:36 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 15,766 Thanks
    JIL
    I have found the product in question and it also has lobster in it, it still sounds odd to me. It's like having cheese with prawns. Doesn't seem right.
    Some great ideas, something I did try and enjoyed was a hard boiled egg in the mix.

Here's a link to the said dish

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-The-Best-Canadian-Lobster--Cromer-Crab-Macaroni-Cheese/341694011?sku=341694011&parentContainer=&voucherCo de=&dnr=y

In answer to what do you serve with macaroni cheese it's always salad and sometimes crusty bread.
    I used to love the tinned version on toast but I got a tin recently and I can't think how I ever ate it.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 13th Oct 16, 8:39 AM
    • 6,539 Posts
    • 39,232 Thanks
    Pooky
    We love ours with gammon and broccoli - I always cook my gammon joints in the slow cooker and save all the bits that are left from cutting up the rest, just enough to add some flavour but not enough to use a whole portion of meat. If I'm making it stretch I might add peas too and some tomatoes on the top and serve with crusty bread for dunking.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,424Posts Today

7,186Users online

Martin's Twitter