Time off work for interview

Options
My current employer has implemented a new shift pattern and allocated me shifts I am unable to work due to childcare needs. I've submitted a flexible hours request however I am not confident I will be given suitable shifts.

I've advised my employer I may need to find a new job.

I have an interview next week and cannot get the day as annual leave. Leaving temporarily is difficult as I will need around 3 hours for the interview, so it would be difficult to immediately make time up.

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas how to go about this. I'm tempted to tell my employer and cite the new shifts as the reason, as I would rather take it as a holiday than sickness, but unsure if this is the right way to go.

Any advice would be appreciated .

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    You cant get A/L, they know the interview day so telling them you are sick wont work (not that i recommend lying), only other option is to just take the day off which i don't recommend because you may end up with nothing at all.

Tough situation
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the 3 hours just for the interview or is it traveling time too ?
  • hudashley_2
    Options
    I havent told current employer about interview yet, but I think they may assume.

The 3 hours would include travelling time, the main problem I have is my shift rotation plus travel time over next couple of weeks would make any interview difficult.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Perhaps time for convenient emergency dentist appointment?
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Sux if employer asks for evidence of this, start with a lie and dig yourself in to a very deep hole (what else can you do when you are lying) isn't the way to go.

And should you get caught, good bye job and any integrity.

Just my opinion though
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    If you are caught lying, then you will be dismissed. Before you decide to be sick or have an emergency dentist appointment, remember that and think about how that looks on your reference.

I don't know how you know that you won't get annual leave, but if you have already asked for it, then your chances of being caught lying have increased.

If you tell your manager the truth and (politely) tell them that you are going for the interview, paid or unpaid leave, and why, then you may be taking other risks but not of being caught lying.

There isn't a simple answer here. You don't have a legal right to take the day off for an interview. So you must decide what is the lesser of the evils.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Explain the problem to the interviewing company, and suggest some times that might work (for you). Offer an out of hours option (plenty of interviews take place outside normal working hours) if you can get childcare, or a telephone interview, or a date when you CAN get leave.

They may withdraw the interview offer, or they may see your attempt to solve the problem as a positive response. Most employers know that if they are recruiting someone who already has a job they're going to have to negotiate on the interview date and timing.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Child was ill but it will be unpaid unless employer pays you
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Is it possible to arrange to swap shifts with somebody for that day?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure