best way to Pay

As of end of Jan this year I owed Halifax
account 1 £36120.09 at 3.19% 5 year 2 months left
account 2 £24573.98 at 5.89%5 year 6 months left

account 2 can be changed to 2.34% next month which will save a few quid.

But I want to pay it sooner 4 year or less I will also be in position to afford £150 to £200 a month extra on payments. So whats way to go take the offer on account 2 ? or would a possible remortgage be possible at much better rates?

I have no other debt could I pay a lump off with a interest free credit card and use the extra I have to pay that ? Any help be gratefully received I really wanna get this financial pain in the back side gone

Thanks Paul

Comments

• 1. Lowering the rate on account 2 will reduce the interest you pay.
    2. We don't know what rate you could remortgage to elsewhere. That depends on your circumstances.
    3. Does the Halifax accept card payments? If not, you would need a money transfer option. You'll need to do the maths on the fee v the APR.
  • PAUL_C
    PAUL_C Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just looked no credit card Payments
  • You need to work out debt to value and see what remortgage deals are out there. Some have fees so you need to take those into account.

2.34% and 3.19% aren't bad rates though. Is that 2.34 deal automatic and is there a charge?

Can you make overpayments without incurring penalty?

Lots of questions but you need to be aware of all this. If you feel you can comfortably overpay speak to Halifax and get them to work out how much your term reduces by paying an extra £150 on the higher interest part of your mortgage.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • You need to work out debt to value and see what remortgage deals are out there. Some have fees so you need to take those into account.

2.34% and 3.19% aren't bad rates though. Is that 2.34 deal automatic and is there a charge?

Can you make overpayments without incurring penalty?

Lots of questions but you need to be aware of all this. If you feel you can comfortably overpay speak to Halifax and get them to work out how much your term reduces by paying an extra £150 on the higher interest part of your mortgage.

The 2.34 deal is auto as the other deal is ending

I would Imagine my property could be be any value between 280k and 320k going on recent sales in area.

I am thinking take the 2.34 Deal and over pay as much as possible and if obtain a chunk of cash obtained by interest free credit somehow. And I can sell some stuff to raise 5 or 6k if i really feel the need

I am fairly comfy staying with Halifax for ease to be honest as I value my free time very highly and dont want to be chasing around brokers and being interviewed etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure