Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 22nd Sep 16, 6:17 AM
    • 2,460Posts
    • 32,501Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Thursday 22nd September 2016
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 22nd September 2016 22nd Sep 16 at 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 22nd September 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry underfoot, after a cloudy overcast start yesterday the sky cleared and it was another sunny day, hoping for the same today. Hoping washing can be line dried.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work, DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly to get up and ready for college.

Dinner last night was pork steaks oven cooked in gravy and veg, served with mash, carrots, HG green beans, mini corn cobs and peas, all eaten and enjoyed. Tonight I'm not sure, but I do have some breaded chicken pieces in the freezer, so could serve those, with a cheese and potato pie and beans. If possible I don't want to buy any more food today as doing the weekly food shop tomorrow. Really need to get back to the menu planning, and stop the "top up" shops other than needing bread.

Now on days' off, have quite a "to do" list and I really want to get going with it, as everywhere feels cluttered and untidy, so I'll just potter along and try to get as much done as possible, I'll write a list shortly.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 22-09-2016 at 6:28 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 22nd Sep 16, 6:39 AM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 13,735 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:39 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:39 AM
    Morning folks and thanks for new thread NMLC. It looks a bit damp outside but forecast to improve.

The girlies are still fast asleep so just time for another coffee before I wake them up. Once they have gone to school it's the brought forward Friday clean and then we can set off for the wedding tomorrow leaving all looking decent.

My best friend had her appointment yesterday for her scan result. Her doctor had already told her there was something seen on one lung. So this was an urgent referral. We were all fearing the worst (as you do) but it was better news than hoped. He thinks it's just a nodule and nothing sinister but will do quarterly ct scans to keep a check. We were all so relieved.

Dear HILSTEP have a wonderful week with your DS, making even more lovely memories for your family. Big (((HUG))) for you and all else in need, especially LAINEY and her DM. POLLYANNA keep popping in when you have time. Have a good day all if you can and take care xxx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 22nd Sep 16, 6:46 AM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 22,752 Thanks
    Gers
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:46 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:46 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Thanks for the thread nmlc.

It's so foggy outside I can hardly see more than 100 yards. Sadly my early morning view of the sea is missing.

Yesterday my IT job took bloomin' ages as they have a Mac so all the functions I'm used to didn't work with it. I was only doing a job with email so I thought it'd be half an hour tops, it took two hours. I wasn't too chuffed but at least it's done.

I did a small wash but had to hang it on the airer in the spare bedroom, dehumidifier on and door shut. The rain just poured down most of the afternoon and all evening.

Today will have a slow start and a rush end. Teaching from two till four, being loaded up with stuff for a neighbour's son and driving down to Glasgow. Will have to find him, in the East end and then get back across to my mums.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Glasgow Pavilion to see Prof Brian Cox and Robin Ince. I've had the ticket for months, thought I'd lost it in one of my occasional decluttering sprees but I'd only put it somew safe (and completely the wrong place).

Hugs to those who need them.

Happy Tbursday.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 22nd Sep 16, 6:56 AM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 31,620 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:56 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:56 AM
    Morning All

Looks like it's drying up outside, last night was wet and miserable. I lit the stove for a while to make it feel better.

Slept for a full 8 hours last night but still feel so tired, still, I'm off tomorrow and Monday so will have a good rest, bet I wake up early!

Enjoy having your DS with you hilstep.

Not going to hospice tonight as I don't want to pass on my germs, must catch up on some sewing. Busy day Gers, have a good weekend, hope your DM is ok.

Take care. XX
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 22nd Sep 16, 6:59 AM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:59 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:59 AM
    Morning all

NMLC thank for the thread, hugs to Lainey and Hilstep.

My L&M isn't well, I'm hoping to persuade him to take a couple of days off and I'll try to get him a Dr's appointment. He now has 2 bosses instead of one, they keep contradicting each other and he's run ragged trying to keep both of them happy.

I've tightened up our budget, no more haircuts or dye for me, I have £10 a week to cover all my spends, that includes my writers circle which I will stop after next week and any treats for the DGC, I will save as much as possible out of it so the DGC can have Christmas/birthday gifts.

The food budget is set at £30 a week for the 2 of us, I've stocked up at the butchers, £46 the freezer now has lots of meat in.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    • redruby
    • By redruby 22nd Sep 16, 7:19 AM
    • 6,046 Posts
    • 83,232 Thanks
    redruby
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:19 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:19 AM
    Morning all,

Looks to be nice day here cooler this morning but will brighten up later, off to work for me which has been very quiet this week.

DD has been sent straight to second interview for the job they asked her to apply for, they said they knew her so no need for a first one, its next Tuesday so not too long to wait.

Dinner tonight will be something and chips, I think there are some fish fingers or chicken nugget type things in there with peas.

Need to do a wash tonight and hoover round.

Have good days all xxx
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 22nd Sep 16, 7:29 AM
    • 606 Posts
    • 5,997 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:29 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:29 AM
    Good morning all, I was MIA yesterday through busyness. Had a hospital appointment in the morning and got on with some work in the afternoon, then made a pasta bake, plus some chicken for the DS and then flopped, went to bed.

I am so glad to read that the news was a lot less sinister than feared TA and that others too have had a positive day. Hope today is good, I have to get to work quick
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 22nd Sep 16, 7:38 AM
    • 783 Posts
    • 8,619 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:38 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:38 AM
    Morning everyone,

Just back in from walking the girls, dry and reasonably bright day.

We are still waiting on news from the hospice, typical as last week there was room but not this. Quite rightly those people already in the community get priority over those in hospital, could just do with getting everything sorted. Mum did seem brighter yesterday and we had a good visit, there had been another black-out in the morning mind and no-one seems to understand why as her BP etc is fine. It's weird as she seems to go really rigid first rather than just dropping so it seems more like a fit, who knows.
    She has friends going this afternoon and my SIL in the evening so am having a day off, eldest SS is coming over to show us the pictures from his recent travels in the US so will do some baking this morning. Yesterday was a fab drying day so hope to finish up the coats etc today and then that will be done.
    Glad your friends news was better than expected TA
    Hope your L&M feels better soon Hester
    Have a grand visit with your son Hillstep

Take care folks x
    • lonewhitewolf
    • By lonewhitewolf 22nd Sep 16, 7:53 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    lonewhitewolf
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:53 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:53 AM
    Morning all
    Flying visit from me as I have loads to do again.
    FIL now is living 25 years ago in his mind and no improvement health wise.
    DD2 gone to work and DH as well even though he is full of cold.
    Dinner last night was leek and pot soup with bacon lardons. Tonight will be pork and apple in slow cooker.
    Made golden syrup cake yesterday so that with custard will be pudding.
    Anyhoo must get on.
    Hugs to all in need. Xx
    Bright Blessings xx
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 22nd Sep 16, 7:58 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 22,758 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Morning, thanks for the thread nmlc x

MrsTA - good news about your friend. Enjoy the wedding x
    Hester - that's a tight budget - make sure you have a little bit for a treat every now and then x
    redruby - good news about DDs interview, fingers crossed for her x
    Lainey - sending hugs xx

I am off to the gym shortly. DH has to sign on this morning. His usual chap is on holiday so his appointment is at 8.20. Still no movement on the job front but we live in hope....I still need to finish off my two applications (deadline is Monday). Need to get a wiggle on.

Dinner tonight is chicken risotto - new recipe, so we shall see what reception that gets lol.

Have a good day all,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Currently reading: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 22nd Sep 16, 8:05 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Hester hope you get your L&M sorted
    Lainey hope you have a restful day
    Hillstep hugs
    Well up early again as dog woke up so i did too will take him out in a bit just been juggling finances as DH is weekly paid which makes it a bit difficult sometimes
    House is clean as DS is away so just a swish round
    Dinner tonight freezer roulette
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 22nd Sep 16, 8:44 AM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 9,678 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Another hospital visit today, they rang yesterday to see of OH could go for an echocardiogram, so we will be off shortly, at least we will not be sitting around for hours like we were yesterday.

Its dry, not quite as cold as it was yesterday, we are out tomorrow afternoon as well.

We had an invite to go to the harvest supper at the little chapel yesterday, we will go, OH rang the pastor to let him know. When I go shopping I will get some tins and packets, they support a scheme to provide food to disadvantaged people.

I read a death notice in the paper yesterday. My 2nd cousin has died, we were the only two children of our generation so spent a lot of time together as youngsters. He did not approve of me leaving my first husband, so I have not spoken to him for over 25 years. My youngest daughter and ex will go to the funeral.

When we got back from the hospital yesterday we had some soup and crackers and I decided to clean the kitchen floor, boy it was mucky. The Friday clean will get done on Saturday.

Hester I am sorry to hear that your L & M is not well, I hope you can get an appointment for him at the Doctors, he does work so hard.
    Tesco CC Used for diesel only. Paid off each month.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd Sep 16, 8:47 AM
    • 13,580 Posts
    • 105,338 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning all and <<hugs>> to those who need one.So many of our friends are having a hard time at the moment aren't they,but we are all here for 'virtual' support for you xx

H/H I manage OK on the £15.00 budget, its a case of fewer trips to the shops which I don't mind, and literally only buying what you need or have run out of.Since I came home from my holiday on 26th August I have only been to the shops three times and still have over £18.00 in my 'food' purse. But I am reasonably good at 'frugalling' which helps.Plus I am shopping from my existing food stock and freezer.Only fresh fruit and veg and essentials are being bought.
    Its surprising what you can find to make stuff out of, last night I had a Y/S fishcake with a cheesy filling that I found in the freezer with a few new spuds and some sugar snap peas that I bought and froze ages ago. I had a banana that was getting ripe so I knocked up some custard from some evaporated milk and had a banana custard for pud and I have some custard left in the fridge still so I will make up a jelly from one in the cupboard and that will be at least another two days pudding.
    Lunch will be a small salad made up with grated cheese,lettuce tomato and diced cucumber and beetroot and the rest of the left over new potatoes from last night, I may even hard boil an egg (I always have ex-large eggs from my local butcher) and use half in with the salad and the other half tomorrow as a spread with some mayo and a dash of curry powder on some crackers for lunch with some sliced cucumber on top.I usually have a few left over bits from my evening meal which I use next day for lunch. helps to extend my meals a bit.
    Breakfast is usually HM granola, bran flakes or porridge as I don't eat bread anymore. yesterday I had porridge with some sultana's in it and it was quite nice and very filling.

Today I am going to finish off my ironing left from yesterday and probably swoosh through my bathroom as its in need of a good clean, its a downstairs one near to the back door so gets a bit dusty when the back door is open to the garden
    Then its off to Dds this afternoon for the DGS coming home from school. Last night DD told me that she has booked a weekend away for us all at the end of November for my son-in-laws birthday, on the Isle of Wight !!. She decided that instead of just her and her OH going away for the weekend we will all be going .She has an unexpected windfall at work and said its a treat for us all and DGS Ben is coming down from Norwich with his G/F to go with us all.Fingers crossed the weather will be kind,although we aren't too bothered really as the IoW is home from home for us all. Nine weeks tomorrow we will be off again , She loves it down there and once the children are older its where she will probably end up

Right time for some coffee I think

Have a good day everyone what ever you are doing

Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

3/28 NSD so far this month
    Budget for month £60.00, spent £41.48,left in purse for food£18.52 and only 10 days left in the month
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 22nd Sep 16, 9:16 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 4,619 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning chums,

Woke up this morning feeling much better. No more sniffing and sneezing, just a bit of a cough. I'm looking out the window in the office which overlooks Glasgow city centre and I see nothing but blue skies, yet had a bit of a chill in the air - I love those mornings. Reminds me of the days I played football early Saturday morning.

Yesterday I had a moment of feeling grateful. My GF and I decided on pizza and pasta last night and we've grown fond of the pizza that you 'build' yourself in Asda. It was after I had finished work and there was a man my age, if not younger, behind the counter. He opened up a conversation with me about how my day has been, what my plan is tonight etc, the usual small talk. He then went on to say he had been working in Asda for 8 years at this pizza counter and he loves it. He waxed lyrical about all the benefits and how much he enjoys it, despite finishing at 11pm that night: a time which I'd have ate the pizza and be in bed sleeping.

I, like many other students, had a part-time job in a SM and didn't enjoy it - long hours for poor pay - and now that I've started my journey in my career and have a comfortable job I still find time to complain about this or that which is terrible really. I put my pizza in my basket, wished him an enjoyable shift and turned with a grateful smile. Note to self: be more grateful.

TA - Enjoy the wedding.
    Hester - Sounds like your batten down the hatches. Hope it all works out.
    Ruby - Fingers crossed for your DD.
    Hilstep - Thinking of you.
    Barclaycard - £990.84
    Follow my Debt Free Diary - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    NST#24 (3/14)
    • elona
    • By elona 22nd Sep 16, 9:53 AM
    • 10,370 Posts
    • 51,561 Thanks
    elona
    Hester

Hope you can get a doctor's appointment quickly for l and m. Have you had a look at the "freebies "sites ? It does not cost anything and feels like a present when something arrives.

Disappointed as when I got weighed last night I had maintained so I need to be more careful in food choices. DD was not amused to find the kitchen cluttered so am going to sort that out today with a clear out of boxes for recycling etc.

jackieO

Your description of frugalling has helped me get my mind in gear and instead of going shopping I am going to use what I have in the fridge and have a search of the freezer. If I do go out it will be late afternoon for ys stuff and veg to make home made soups.

Hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • elona
    • By elona 22nd Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    • 10,370 Posts
    • 51,561 Thanks
    elona
    I just got round to investigating online shopping for groceries. I ordered a pack of low fat meat which arrives next week and then looked at a supermarket for grocery deliveries.

If I have done things right then a lot of fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables should arrive on Sunday afternoon. Daughters should be pleased as they have been suggesting for months that I consider online shopping at a supermarket so I do not have to carry heavy stuff home and can be independent.

Some cardboard boxes are flattened for recycling and I hope to get rid of some more empty boxes from the garage. I even wrapped a couple of birthday presents for a dd for October.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 22nd Sep 16, 4:49 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Afternoon all
    Csarina, sorry to hear about your cousin.
    My L&M has been signed off sick for 2 week with Work Related Stress on his certificate.
    Hopefully he will feel better soon.
    Hester
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 22nd Sep 16, 5:05 PM
    • 8,646 Posts
    • 94,422 Thanks
    LameWolf
    GWS wishes to HH's L&M

Flippin' 'eck, that was a lot of abbreviations!

Been foraging today - and as a result have just put the 4th plastic tub of blackberries in the freezer.

We were out of bananas - this is not an acceptable situation, as Mr LW has taken to bran flakes and a sliced banana for brekkie, so we went into town, and I managed to get
    • 16 bananas
    • 9 pears
    • 12 parsnips
    • 2 pineapples
    • a 1lb 4oz pack of baby plum tomatoes
    for the princely sum of £5 for the lot. Not bad, eh?

Mabon Blessings for anyone who, like me, is celebrating it.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Angel_Jenny
    • By Angel_Jenny 22nd Sep 16, 7:38 PM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 8,933 Thanks
    Angel_Jenny
    Got a load of washing done - once the mist lifted it was lovely and sunny here. I really wanted to get the kitchen cupboards sorted and figure out what we need to stock up on and it wasn't as bad as I thought since they were already pretty tidy.

I have so much craft stuff which is good and bad. I have a double wardrobe to store it all in but am struggling ...... mainly because there is all sorts (fabric / paints / card making / sewing / wool) and I can't figure out how best to use the space, how to organise everything and how to have it easily accessible.

I have been watching Frontier Life on DVD and in it they are excited to get letters and news from home. Got me thinking that it would be lovely to have an old style pen pal - you know handwritten letters with little life updates and simple daily things.
    If you love life, life will love you back.
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 22nd Sep 16, 9:33 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 5,587 Thanks
    carolbee
    Got a load of washing done - once the mist lifted it was lovely and sunny here. I really wanted to get the kitchen cupboards sorted and figure out what we need to stock up on and it wasn't as bad as I thought since they were already pretty tidy.

I have so much craft stuff which is good and bad. I have a double wardrobe to store it all in but am struggling ...... mainly because there is all sorts (fabric / paints / card making / sewing / wool) and I can't figure out how best to use the space, how to organise everything and how to have it easily accessible.

I have been watching Frontier Life on DVD and in it they are excited to get letters and news from home. Got me thinking that it would be lovely to have an old style pen pal - you know handwritten letters with little life updates and simple daily things.
    Originally posted by Angel_Jenny
    I was only thinking that today, re penpals. PM me if you want me as one, and I'll PM my address to you. I always write to my granddaughters who live abroad.
    Carolbee

Not buying it 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

1,504Users online

Martin's Twitter