Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gardening_diva
    • By gardening_diva 22nd Sep 16, 12:56 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 1Thanks
    gardening_diva
    CGT on US Stocks
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:56 AM
    CGT on US Stocks 22nd Sep 16 at 12:56 AM
    I am a UK taxpayer working for a US company in the UK. As part of my package I receive stock awards which vest on a regular basis. The amount I am awarded has an amount withheld at source to cover the US tax withholding requirements. For example, if I am awarded 100 stocks then I only actually receive 70 in my brokerage account (fictitious numbers!).

I am now thinking of selling some of the vested stocks but I'm not sure if I will then be liable for CGT.
    How would the potential gain be calculated? Is it the sale price minus the price of the stock when it was awarded or when it vested?
    The vesting goes back over years, so would I have to find the price of each batch?

Or does the fact that a number of stocks were withheld when originally awarded mean that this is already covered?

Thanks for any advice!
Page 1
    • Cook_County
    • By Cook_County 22nd Sep 16, 6:36 AM
    • 2,798 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    Cook_County
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:36 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:36 AM
    The tax that is withheld will be UK PAYE tax & NIC. UK CGT is going to be on the gain from the vesting date up to the sale date, converted into Sterling using spot exchange rates for the dates of vesting and sale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,547Posts Today

5,761Users online

Martin's Twitter