What to do?

So about 10 years ago we needed to move house - in hindsight possibly a little naive as we had already paid 10 years of a standard mortgage off our old house.

In order to get our 'dream house' we started again with a 25 year 95% mortgage on the dreaded LIBOR rate.

10 years later we still have another 15 years to pay. We currently pay 2.44% above LIBOR that to be honest at the moment doesn't seem too bad compared to some standard mortgages we have seen.

We were lucky as we had a lower fixed rate during the time LIBOR was at its highest.

Due to redundancy/illness our credit rating was / and is not great (never a mortgage payment missed though).

Currently feel like we are possible trapped in this deal without a chance of re mortgaging. Our income is now higher than what it once was so contemplating making over payments to bring the term down or would love to re mortgage but think our chances are nil to none.

With Brexit and this article I saw today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36703143

Im just curious as to what your thoughts are?

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    There is not enough information about the credit history - ie when it was and if it was just late payments or if you have defaults/ccjs etc. Also how much is outstanding on the mortgage and what is it valued at?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mrbilbs
    mrbilbs Posts: 81 Forumite
    The bad credit side is all historic going back at least 3/4 years ago - currently making reduced payments by agreement via PayPlan.

No CCJ or missed mortgage / Utility payments ever. mainly CC and loan - missed payments -resulting in default

Approx £157,000 outstanding on mortgage - similar houses selling for around £190,000+ in our area.

Hope this helps
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your LTV is 83% - am sure you will be able to re-mortgage.
  • cahillg81
    cahillg81 Posts: 239 Forumite
    Has the default been settled? It will depend on the value of it some lenders may be willing to look at it.

Get a copy of your credit report - most lenders use Experian - and seek advice from a broker.
    I am a Mortgage & Protection Broker

MSE doesn't check my status so you have to take my word for it. Any information posted is for discussion only and should not be seen as advice. I am FCA Registered, registration details available on request.
  • mrbilbs
    mrbilbs Posts: 81 Forumite
    Sorry I seem to have neglected this. Defaults not satisfied

We are currently on a DMP with payplan about £50k between two of us on the plan.

No CCJ or missed mortgage / Utility payments ever. mainly CC and loan - missed payments -resulting in default

Approx £157,000 outstanding on mortgage - similar houses selling for around £190,000+ in our area.
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    How long is it going to take you to finish pay plan if u have 50k to pay off?

Any savings u can use to pay off debts? Please be aware of "similar houses selling for...." not all lenders will consider this and independent valuation at ur expense maybe required. What is LTV on purchase price?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    mrbilbs wrote: »
    We are currently on a DMP with payplan about £50k between two of us on the plan.

Therein lies your problem. Your credit rating is screwed to be frank.

Your options are to either settle the DMP quicker. Or overpay the mortgage.

Your choice as to where your priorities lie. As there's obviously no quick fixes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure