Sainsbury's new pitta bread range now contains sugar

Options
soul1
soul1 Posts: 108 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi everyone, just to let you all know that Sainsbury's have recently changed supplier for their own brand of white, wholemeal and garlic pitta bread. However, the new pitta bread range is much worse than their original pitta bread range. The main reason why imho is that the pitta bread now contains sugar. Another thing that I've noticed is that the pitta bread is no longer fluffy and is flat.
No other supermarket puts any sugar in their own brand of pitta's.
Seems to me that Sainsbury's have changed supplier on a cost basis. Just letting everyone know :)

Comments

• Chester007
    Options
    negative Sainsbury's experience - has this happened to anyone else? I ordered prosecco on offer of £7.50 reduced from £10 plus buy 6 get 25% off - when it arrived I got an email saying there was high demand so I was charged full price of £10 - how can this be right?
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    Chester007 wrote: »
    negative Sainsbury's experience - has this happened to anyone else? I ordered prosecco on offer of £7.50 reduced from £10 plus buy 6 get 25% off - when it arrived I got an email saying there was high demand so I was charged full price of £10 - how can this be right?
    Chester there is a thread about that here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5471753
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chester007 wrote: »

You can reject the Prosecco if you don't want to pay the £10.
  • Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    soul1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just to let you all know that Sainsbury's have recently changed supplier for their own brand of white, wholemeal and garlic pitta bread. However, the new pitta bread range is much worse than their original pitta bread range. The main reason why imho is that the pitta bread now contains sugar. Another thing that I've noticed is that the pitta bread is no longer fluffy and is flat.
    No other supermarket puts any sugar in their own brand of pitta's.
    Seems to me that Sainsbury's have changed supplier on a cost basis. Just letting everyone know :)

Doesn't all of it have to have some sugar to get the yeast to work?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    Pitta is a flat bread. It relies on the water content to generate steam and rise.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes "normal bread" has sugar in.

Make mine in a breadmaker and was surprised how much goes in.

But just learnt something new about Pitta :)
  • soul1
    edited 5 June 2016 at 2:17PM
    Options
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    Hi Big Graeme, here is a link to the new wholemeal pitta bread on Sainsbury's site :- http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/wraps-bagels-pittas/sainsburys-wholemeal-pitta-x6

If you look at the ingredients, you will see sugar listed there. Now I'm pretty sure that there original supplier did not put in any sugar whatsoever. Pitta bread are supposed to be savoury and not sweet which is exactly how they taste now. Having bought own brand wholemeal pitta bread from other supermarkets, none of them have any sugar listed in the ingredients. Also, I have no idea why spirit vinegar has been added ?
  • soul1
    Options
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    soul1 wrote: »
    Also, I have no idea why spirit vinegar has been added ?
    Probably to disguise the taste of the sugar.

Much in the same way as sugar is added to processed foods to drown out saltiness.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • soul1
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Probably to disguise the taste of the sugar.

Much in the same way as sugar is added to processed foods to drown out saltiness.

Hi, thanks for the info. Did not think about that one :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure