PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Long time lurker, made an account today. Time to get my head out of the sand.

Options
cheel
cheel Posts: 195 Forumite
edited 26 April 2016 at 5:56PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hello everyone,

I have been reading the old style area for a couple of months now, so that's why I'm posting here first. Hope that's ok?

I am a single mum to a beautiful 'almost eight' son, self employed and live in Cornwall.

I have found the courage to make a profile and post as I am trying hard to overcome the long term effects of severe trauma (PTSD ) , and the wonderful therapist who is helping me says that the things I am ignoring need to be dealt with one by one. And I have absolutely been avoiding managing my money. So I have set myself the target of going into the bank to get online banking, and knowing what comes in and goes out and when . I know vaguely but not as much as I need to.

I just tried to do a state of affairs and I am not even sure of it enough to get a semblance of one together.

However its not all that bad. I'm self employed so mainly get paid cash and my tax credits go into the bank.

So I'm hoping that I can face it and share what I find here. I have found so many excellent tips while I've been reading I'm sure you will all be able to offer me much needed pointers.

Thanks for reading!

cheel

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

May grocery challenge £7.58 / £200

May no spend days: 1st , 2nd, 3rd

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Didn't want to read and run so stopped to wish you luck.

Why not start with keeping a spending diary. Keep all receipts and write own every penny you spend. Then every week you can review your spending and see where you've 'wasted' money and can improve on it the following week. I find it acts like a bit of a brake too as I don't want to write things down that aren't essential so I ask myself 'do I really need this or just want it?'.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi cheel,

I use a programme called you need a budget (YNAB) which helps me to feel 'in the loop' where my money is concerned. It was scary at first, but I found the more I faced things, the better they got.

I'd advise you make a cuppa and read the Old Style Archives (saved near the top of the board). A wealth of info. I've been reading this forum since I left home, and it's saved me £1000s!

Best of luck! xx
  • cheel
    Options
    Thank maman, yes I have a little notebook I've been popping my receipts into since Thursday, when I took cash out for the week, I will tot them up tonight. ��

Hi mandm , there is so much knowledge here, its amazing. Even in the few weeks I've been reading I've seen things I can easily change. My habit of using cleaning wipes for example! Thankyou for the luck ��

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    just wanted to say Welcome cheel! this is a wonderful board and the posters are so supportive and helpful. Once you really get 'into' the moneysaving and keeping a tight rein on the budget it becomes quite enjoyable!
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi and welcome - one thing at a time is a great approach and think the OS board is a great help for family tips and ideas!
    Living the simple life
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome Cheel, and well done you on joining us, must have been a big thing for you to do, so a big hug. Haven't got anything to add at the moment to what others have said, just take things a little at a time, so that you don't feel overwhelmed.
  • cheel
    Options
    Thankyou meritat, tink and anne-Marie. :)

Well I just attempted to add my little book up and I couldn't get the figures to match what's left in my purse. Then I realised that id only been keeping the receipts and so had forgotten the little things, were you dont get one , drink while my son was swimming, a taxi fare the pound the school seem to ask for every Friday for something or other!

So a bit of a failure, but a lesson learned! And its a shocker how these little bits here and there add up!!!

Cheel

• meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome Cheel, you will soon wonder how you managed to spend so much before!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cheel wrote: »
    Well I just attempted to add my little book up and I couldn't get the figures to match what's left in my purse. Then I realised that id only been keeping the receipts and so had forgotten the little things, were you dont get one , drink while my son was swimming, a taxi fare the pound the school seem to ask for every Friday for something or other!

So a bit of a failure, but a lesson learned! And its a shocker how these little bits here and there add up!!!

Cheel
    That's not a failure. The spending diary is working already because you've learned something to help you going forward.
    I'd suggest you carry a bottle of water which will save you buying a drink and be healthy.
    I've reverted to old fashioned dishcloths (very retro) and they go in with the white wash so I never buy Jcloths or cleaning wipes any more.
    It all helps.
  • summerlady_2
    Options
    cheel wrote: »
    Thankyou meritat, tink and anne-Marie. :)

Cheel

I have exactly the same problem so I now write things like my craft group subscription in my little book. I also ask for the till receipt even if I spend a small amount. Shops are obliged to provide one.
    Grocery challenge 2017 January £158.74/£200
    Grocery challenge February £100.91/£190
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family