MoneySaving Poll: Should all tax returns be made public?

Poll started 11 April 2016

Should all tax returns be made public?

Tax avoidance is the topic on everyone’s lips right now and after media pressure, David Cameron published the last six years' worth of his tax returns on Sunday. Scottish party leaders soon followed.

So we wanted to know how public you think tax returns should be? Assume that linked families returns (ie spouses or children) would be public too.

Whose tax returns do you think should be public? Which of these is closest to your view?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A tax return won't tell anyone which company they have a financial interest in unless they are directors etc. It won't tell you if that company is the one that has just been granted a multi million pound contract (for no apparent reason) or avoided fining for some misdeed. It would just give nosy neighbours even more to get nosy about. It would just be a waste of time and taxpayers (that is your & my) money. Just ungag HMRC employees and then they can tell who they want, including telling us of the ones bending the rules.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    The poll seems to be implying that HMRC should publish tax returns. I feel strongly that the decision to publish a tax return is an individual one, albeit one that should go hand-in-hand with holding high office.
  • Jamdown1
    Jamdown1 Posts: 6 Forumite
    The tax return is a bit of a red herring really and no one's business. Firstly the whole global tax system geared up for tax avoidance from country to country needs changing. If it's legal of course people ans companies will do it so why have systems which allows it then lambast people who so it. What they also need is more transparency about fiduciary interests in various company schemes for politicians and more rigour around them declaring these financial and political conflicts of interests.
  • aggrieved
    aggrieved Posts: 24 Forumite
    The only power the electorate has is a single personal vote. It is essential that we have as much information as possible including financial details about those who ask for our votes. How otherwise can we make informed decisions when we vote. But there again how many enthusiasts for our youngest party even know or care about the well publicised historical shortcomings of some of its candidates for the upcoming Welsh election.
  • If you are running for parliament, definitely. We can see the hypocrisy now from greasy Dave.
  • silvasands
    silvasands Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post
    I was surprised at how many people thought tax returns should be , `private`. I also wonder, how many of those that replied , `private`, were self employed as opposed to , PAYE....??
  • chrismale
    chrismale Posts: 30 Forumite
    I don't think even elected officials should have to publish their tax returns. I think David Cameron made a mistake in doing so and thus feeding the Media witch hunts. They will now start trying to get other politicians to do so and fuel the politics of envy.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's made for a little light relief from the EU vote - or is this deliberate distraction?
    I feel tax returns are best private, and someone elsewhere commented that there is no way for HMRC to verify the published account because of the Data Protection Act. However, if MPs are going to criticise each other on this matter, they must publish their own tax return first. Same principle as poker: you want to play, lets see your chips.
  • alggomas
    alggomas Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No.

I would have a forensic examination of out MEP's and our parliament income/expenses. Any fiddling? Jail.
    Non of this " not in the public interest".

Also no company which has ANY MP on the board should be allowed to bid directly or indirectly for government or council contracts.

There are over 600 MPs. All of them squeaky clean?

There are more important things than showing their tax returns. Again driven by the media!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure