PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Meal planning conundrum

Options
Afternoon all! Hope you're all well.

I'm having a bit of a sticky issue at the moment. I need to start planning ahead but neither hubby and I are home from work until 8 ish and I need carb-free meals that I can put in slow cooker.

I'm hoping that I can start putting meals in containers in the fridge ready to put in the slow cooker in the morning. Do you think this would be ok? If I do 3 days worth in the fridge on a Sunday night they'd keep? What suggestions would you have apart from the casseroles/curry?
I'm just trying to get a lot more organized (and healthy) - its really easy to come home at 8 and order a take away.

Thanks in advance xx
Back in the red :mad::mad:
CC: £1829
Overdraft: £2000
Catalogues: £350
Grocery Challenge: February 2016 £51/£300
Earn £2016 in 2016: £0/£2016

Comments

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    In theory you should brown the meat before putting in the slow cooker but I never bother. All your veg will be fine prepped before hand.

Sausage casseroles are nice, and you can get nice gluten free ones, not sure if they are carb free.

One thing with slow cookers is stews and casseroles can be quite wet and need some thickening. I normally use flour or mashed potato, but not quite sure about carb free options. Is cornflour okay?

Your can do joints of meat in a slow cooker too as a variation on stews, but not much experience of them.

Lots of slow cooker (crock pot) recipe ideas on Pinterest
    Zebras rock
  • keeponlearning
    Options
    Tomato pur!e can be used to thicken as well.

Take a look on Pinterest - there are loads of American sites where they prepare weeks and weeks of meals for the slow cooker in advance and then freeze them in meal sized portions.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not quite what you asked but answers the point on time and organsation...but I often batch cook carb-free soups and curries and then portion them up for the freezer.

Take what you want out to semi-defrost in the fridge during the day and stick it in a pan to heat through when you're ready to eat.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • clickerty-click
    Options
    Chiili is a slow cooker favorite at our house and seems to taste better the day after cooking. If you batch cook you can freeze in portions and then just defrost overnight and heat through when you get back from work.

I would also recommend Pinterest, there are some good posts where they suggest putting all the components of a meal in to a bag so you just have to take out the whole thing to defrost then drop it into the slow cooker.
  • freezspirit
    Options
    look up batch cooking also slow cooker freezer meals. Basically you prepare a weeks/months worth of meals in 1 day. You season meat, cut and chop vegetables and place each meal in either a freezer bag/ container. I can't remember if you have to defrost the meal mix the night before or put straight into the slow cooker on the morning.
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you want to thicken stews and still be low carb put in extra veg, then when you get home take out approx cup of veg, whizz it up and add it back in and it will then thicken the rest of the stew

generally if you buy high quality sausages they are lower carb think supermarket finest, Debbie & andrews etc or ask at your butcher
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • happilymarried2013
    Options
    Thanks all. I really appreciate it.
    Spent some time pinning Freezer Meals on Pinterest last night. Gonna stock up on Freezer bags on Friday and spend Friday night sorting my freezer out.

Thank you xx
    Back in the red :mad::mad:
    CC: £1829
    Overdraft: £2000
    Catalogues: £350
    Grocery Challenge: February 2016 £51/£300
    Earn £2016 in 2016: £0/£2016
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing