Trapped in a call centre

Options
workingirl
workingirl Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 11 January 2016 at 12:40AM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Edit: This is really, stupidly long. If you don't want to read this then please scroll down to the questions in bold at the bottom. Thank you.

So I'm going to pour my little heart out. There are various factors contributing to the way I feel however, I guess the main one is my career - so I feel that I am posting this in a fairly good place.

I was a dreamer in school and all through college. Nothing ever sank in. I was constantly looking out of the window or scribbling stories and doodling pictures in my notebook. I think I learned more away from the classroom than I did within it. I learned through books and spent my time in libraries and wandering through museums.

I loved education, I loved learning. Just not with others. I hated being in a classroom or a part of a group. I was a loner but I was never lonely. I enjoyed learning things on my own, in my own time.

After speaking to a guidance counsellor, I began studying for a computing degree at university. My attempts were half hearted at best. Computing was a practical skill my guidance counsellor had told me. What was the point of studying philosophy or Literature or History or Art? What kind of job would you get with those? He was very adamant and I was terrified of picking the wrong degree and wasting time and so, I did as I was told.

My days at university were spent alone. I would ghost in and out of lectures, never speaking unless I was spoken to. I tried to let it sink in, I really did. For the first few weeks, I tried to feel some passion for the subject I was studying. I made meticulous notes. I read everything I could in the area. I then realised, nothing was sinking in. I was simply passing large amounts of knowledge through my head. In one day and out the next. I quickly fell back into my old life of dreaming. My attendance was sporadic. I would while away the days (I was in a new city - lots to see, lots to do) wandering the streets, sitting in coffee shops, reading in libraries and visiting museums.

I was becoming a pro at killing time.

I dropped out of university after the first year. I spent the next few in retail. It was a mindless job. Physical. Being on your feet, running back and forth between the shop floor and the stock room, handling delivery boxes. It allowed me to fill my head with the things I wanted. And during that entire time, I was miles away. The pay was incredibly bad though. Minimum wage. I made around about £800 per month, working full time.

I was unhappy. My life lacked direction. My friends were moving ahead, getting on with their lives while I was stuck in the same place.

By some miracle I then got a job at a bank - a call centre. I was so excited and made an attempt to make friends with everyone. I finally discovered was it was life to be a part of a group. What it felt like to go out drinking and eating out. And it was great at first. But then things started to change. The workload we were given became heavier and more difficult. I couldn't 'zone out' the way I used to be able to do. Words from angry customers stayed with me for days. We were constantly watched regarding code usage and stats. There were double standards, office politics and some managers were incredibly manipulative. We worked like dogs while management sat around drinking coffee and having a chat. There was no support especially when you were trying to ring in sick. FYI, I never abused this even though I hated my job. Nobody else seemed to notice and I began to resent the place.

It's been nearly two years and I'm still there. I dread going into work. I feel bitter and angry and trapped. I breathe a sigh of relief every Friday when I finish work and feel physically sick on Sunday evenings because I know I have a full week of work ahead of me. The unhappiness I felt before has become darker, more potent and I feel like I could be on the brink of depression. I feel trapped and tired. I always seem to have a headache these days. I don't enjoy the things I used to enjoy. I don't go out during the weekends. I don't even change out of my pyjamas sometimes because what's the point? I'm too scared to see my doctor about this. I feel like he will laugh me out of his office.

I'm trapped. I am in £10'000 worth of debt (I used to buy pointless, silly things to feel better. I have nothing to even show for this.) This job pays better than retail. So I feel like I can't even quit. More importantly, this job allows me to pay for my OU degree. I need this job. I want to pay off my debts. I want a degree. But I don't know how much longer I can cope - going into a place that makes me feel so hopeless.

I feel like the only things I have that give me some happiness, that allow me to take a step further every day are books and music. I cling to these so hard. Sometime during the last couple of years, I have had a tiny spark. An idea that has kept growing inside of me. It's something I need to do for my own sake. I have always written but only just realised that I want to become a writer.

I used to be able to write and write and write. But these days, I struggle. I think it's my mood that's doing this. After spending 8 hours staring at a computer screen at work, the last thing I want to do is come home and switch my computer on.

The only thing stopping me is myself.

I need to find away to work, pay back my debt, complete my degree and write my book. I have cut up all my credit cards. Moved the debt over to a 0% interest card. And stopped spending money on needless things.

Anyone out there got a job they loathe? What are your tips on getting through it with as little emotional/mental damage as possible? Also what do you do when you feel like you're going to have a breakdown in the middle of a working day? Is it possible to achieve your dream when you feel like you're chained to your desk in the belly of some faceless corporation?

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Joy-Work-Happiness-Co-Workers/dp/0887308716

If you're staying put, this may help you find ways to make it less crappy. It made me laugh, but some of it is actually quite inspiring.

Problem is most entry level office jobs will end up similarly - politics, resentments, crushing boredom, wondering if there's more to life. Even when I had some fairly senior roles and flitted between companies, the officeyness was the opposite of me.

I took a load of time out to try new things, learning to fly, making a movie, etc. Movie absolutely completely sucked, but it meant I was working freelance and for myself, and someone I'd worked with on that film got in touch for me to produce for him on his project. I got a notional fee, but we kept going, and now I do all of his films. It means I can be alone mostly, with intense periods of extreme busyness solving problems, then return to my peaceful life. It means I can also work on big international events too - spent a couple of months in Cairo last year, for instance. Again, short term long hours hard work, followed by a breather afterwards. And all of it massively more fun than office 9-5 which was killing me.

I'm not saying make a movie, but I am saying there are alternatives, and alternative ways of living. It might be that you suit project-based stuff like I do, for instance. You may have a lot of voices around saying that the 'right' way to make a living is 9-5, get a pension etc. And for those people, maybe it is, but we are not the same and being a round peg trying to fit into the square hole is depressing and destructive.
  • workingirl
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    link

If you're staying put, this may help you find ways to make it less crappy. It made me laugh, but some of it is actually quite inspiring.

Problem is most entry level office jobs will end up similarly - politics, resentments, crushing boredom, wondering if there's more to life. Even when I had some fairly senior roles and flitted between companies, the officeyness was the opposite of me.

I took a load of time out to try new things, learning to fly, making a movie, etc. Movie absolutely completely sucked, but it meant I was working freelance and for myself, and someone I'd worked with on that film got in touch for me to produce for him on his project. I got a notional fee, but we kept going, and now I do all of his films. It means I can be alone mostly, with intense periods of extreme busyness solving problems, then return to my peaceful life. It means I can also work on big international events too - spent a couple of months in Cairo last year, for instance. Again, short term long hours hard work, followed by a breather afterwards. And all of it massively more fun than office 9-5 which was killing me.

I'm not saying make a movie, but I am saying there are alternatives, and alternative ways of living. It might be that you suit project-based stuff like I do, for instance. You may have a lot of voices around saying that the 'right' way to make a living is 9-5, get a pension etc. And for those people, maybe it is, but we are not the same and being a round peg trying to fit into the square hole is depressing and destructive.

Thank you. I have clicked and had a look at the book. I have bought it. Anything to make me smile. I can't wait until it arrives. :)

I don't think I ever saw myself as a 9-5 person. I'm not afraid of hard work as long as it's varied and there's a change of scenery. You're right, it's hard when you're around people who are set into the 9-5 mindset. It's just hard to break out of that but I desperately need to.

The reason why I don't want to switch to another bank/call centre is because, like you've said, 'most entry level office jobs will end up similarly - politics, resentments, crushing boredom, wondering if there's more to life.' If I'm going to change jobs, it's going to be a massive change. There's no point jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Your story on how you began making movies is inspiring. I have recently found a freelancing site through another post here. I will definitely try and contact some people in the hopes of doing some freelancing.

You've given me quite a bit to think about, paddyrg. Thank you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can you try and find another job? Change of scenery but bear in mind the below! You have the power to walk away anytime. What would happen if you were in an accident tomorrow?

I imagine it's not easy to physically take a break and get some fresh air? As someone once suggested this and I found whilst I once dismissed it there is a lot to be said for it

I know for those stress days I still carry a stress ball and afraid I love my little treats and other stress relievers (even carry face spray!) right down to spin doctoring, sadly I know debt can be conquered, it's such a tiny problem really don't give it thinking room, I never knew how much time was wasted worrying futility till recently

The other side of the coin is we can leave a job we think we hate, we can actually end up regretting or missing it later down the line (awful mallious bosses a total different reserve) talking from experience and no doubt babbling xx
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You didn't ask specifically for writing advice, but that's the only part I'm qualified to comment on, so here goes.

Writers have a high incidence of depression. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't make us more creative. Some writers swear by writing in misery - Stephen King wrote a number of bestsellers while trying to kill himself with alcoholism and drug addiction. The rest of us are most productive while happy, or at least reasonably content. Depression is an occupational hazard. We watch out for it, we take precautions against it, we seek medical treatment when need be. Difficulty writing is a symptom; your writing was escapism for a while, but now even the escapism is failing. Once you're feeling better, the writing will come back.

Elizabeth Moon on depression and writing.

PS: Don't pin your hopes on a writing career. It's monumentally unlikely that even the most dedicated writer will go on to sell a book, and even if they do, the average income of a novelist is about £5000 a year. A book deal (or self-publishing success) isn't going to rescue you from your current day job any time soon. But regular writing and consistent productivity is its own reward. :)
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    Hey, we all have to do the grind from time to time!

One perfectly legitimate idea is to go and teach English abroad... especially if you are the curious and loner type! If you can get past the 'standing in front of people' issue then it may just be a rewarding experience. Just either get a TESOL qualification (about £1300) or a TEFL one (£300-£600). The only downside is that your 10k of debt will not move one bit (especially if you, for example, work for 2000 zloty a month in Poland ;) Boy that was fun!). So you ain't going to get rich money-wise, but you'll certainly have the chance to spend hours in a cafe writing lesson plans and grading papers (maybe also a bit of writing!). Beats listening to customers on the phone moaning about rubbish!
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The reason I went into IT was because I couldn't stand the 9-5 life, and IT means I can do project work going from place to place, which gives me the variety my mind seems to crave.

I very much doubt your doctor would laugh at you. Years ago I was in a similarly "trapped" work situation and the doctor signed me off for a month with stress. It did me a power of good.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    I think in life most of us at some point have a job we loathe and I have done a few over the years, Personally all I can offer here as any sort of advice is to keep your ear to the ground for a role that you believe will make you happier.

The only real time I have felt truly satisfied when working is setting up my own Company and whilst this will not work for everyone it did for me.
  • CP26
    CP26 Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are there are any internal job opportunities you could apply for?

Where I work, the call centre staff are some of the most knowledgeable people in the business and lots of my colleagues have used this background to get into other areas.
  • RedfordML
    Options
    "I breathe a sigh of relief every Friday when I finish work and feel physically sick on Sunday evenings because I know I have a full week of work ahead of me."

I can certainly relate to this. I have had this feeling for around a year now. This year I have changed my mind-set. I am getting out and whilst in my current job, I am going to suck up the feeling of dread and boredom and channel that towards finding a new role.

I suffered from depression, like you due to work life and feeling trapped and unsuccessful. I was on medication but decided it was only me that could help myself.

I aim to be in a new role, as soon as I can, not my career - just a change in role & field. I am going to start exercising, twice a week. With my partner we have set goals, we have 3 young children so aim in the next few years to buy or 'family, forever' home. We are going to start saving from this month and move on.

I could resign today. However, this job is right now, not forever.

Good Luck.
  • pinpin
    pinpin Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    "I breathe a sigh of relief every Friday when I finish work and feel physically sick on Sunday evenings because I know I have a full week of work ahead of me."

LOL, I could have written that :)
    In pretty much every job i've ever had, I literally punch the sky as I walk out of the warehouse shutter doors in pure happiness and relief on Fridays at 6pm when I finish for the week, but come Sunday night, I feel very tense and depressed.
    Too bad I wasn't good enough to be a pro footballer and actually enjoy 'work'! lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure