COPE question

Issy005
Issy005 Posts: 13 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi. I'm 57. State pension age 66.
I am currently drawing a final salary pension from a previous employment.
I have other personal pension schemes that are not yet drawn on.
I have a State Pension statement that says I will get £xxx state pension per week and £yyy COPE payments paid from my final salary and/or personal pensions. This will be mainly the final salary pension scheme I am currently drawing.

Does this mean that my final salary pension will pay me the £yyy extra, on top of the payments I am already receiving, when I reach state pension age?

Comments

• SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,356 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 January 2016 at 3:09PM
    Issy005 wrote: »

Does this mean that my workplace pension will pay me the £yyy extra, on top of the payments I am already receiving, when I reach state pension age?

No the amount from your workplace pension, which you indicate came into payment before State Pension Age almost certainly already includes the COPE within your current payments; although it isn't probably really COPE until you pass State Pension Age.

I use the qualification almost certainly because there are a few rare scenarios where workplace pensions have a step up increase when someone reaches State Pension Age, but you should have been made aware that this would happen by your workplace scheme. Check your workplace scheme documentation or ask them if you are not sure.

As a side note the term COPE may be unfamiliar to even some of the pension experts on here, as it seems to be a new term invented by the DWP standing for Contracted Out Pension Equivalent. It represents the reduction in State Pension someone has had because they were contracted-out of SERPS or S2P, and is the same as the Rebate Derived Amount used in the new State scheme amount calculation.

The DWP seem to have very recently started including this on State Pension statements being sent out (for those reaching SPA on or after 6th April 2016), and it is mentioned in the accompanying booklet (from page 10), and explain it this way on the main statement
    Because you were contracted out
    In the past you have been part of a contracted out pension scheme(s), such as a workplace or personal pension. When you were contracted-out, you and your employer(s) paid lower rate National Insurance (NI) contributions or some of your NI contributions were paid into your private pension scheme(s) instead.

Your workplace or personal pension scheme(s) should include an amount of pension for the periods you were contracted-out. We call this amount your Contracted Out Pension Equivalent (COPE). It is the amount of pension your contracted out private pension sceme should normally pay you for the time you were opted out of the additional State Pension and built up a private pension instead.
    The State Pension statements go on to include this wording
    If you add your State Pension and COPE amount together the total is £x. The COPE amount is paid as part of your private pension(s) not by the Government.
    The inclusion of COPE seems to be because the DWP are concerned that people will think they aren't getting the full single tier pension and by including the COPE they are intending to show that they are getting the full single tier pension (£151.25pw in 2015/2016 terms) in many cases when you allow for contracting-out i.e the amount x is equal to or more than £151.25pw.

While I can understand why the DWP might show this amount, personally I think it is highly confusing. You really just want a State Pension statement to tell you what State Pension you are receiving.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does this mean that my workplace pension will pay me the £yyy extra, on top of the payments I am already receiving, when I reach state pension age?

No.

It means that your state pension will be reduced because you had a period that you were contracted out. Your non-state pensions will be higher because of that contracted out (depending on what you mean by workplace pension - that phrase generally applies to recent employer schemes set up under auto-enrolment and never contracted out - although you could imply older defined benefit schemes or group personal pensions which pre-date workplace pensions under auto enrolment).

Contracted out money purchase schemes had their protected rights converted to non-protected rights in 2012 *(i.e. the fund built up from contracted out rebates was reclassified to be the same as that which you paid into yourself or your employer contribution). This meant you could commence the pension benefits from age 55 and not 60 as it used to be for protected rights.

So, assuming yours was a money purchase pension, you will get no increase as your fund value was higher and that already gives you a higher income now.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Issy005
    Issy005 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I mean my final salary scheme, that is already paying me. started from from age 50 or 51.
    I shall look in its documentation (or phone them) I dont remember seeing anything, but I might've ignored it at the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure