MSE News: MPs to debate women's state pension changes as 79,000 sign petition

Options
Controversial changes to the state pension which will hit women aged 55-65 will be debated in Parliament in January...
Read the full story:

'MPs to debate women's state pension changes as 79,000 sign petition'

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• laxtonlass
    Options
    thank you martin for reporting this issue of the injustice to 1950's women of the poor transitional phasing in of the new state pension age, voted in by a male dominated parliament, from a woman with a history of pay gender inequality. No doubt the next generation of women will fare better.
    :mad:
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks also from a man married to one of the women affected by the changes!
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hopefully no change will result; the injustice of early retirement for women should have been sorted out decades ago.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Hopefully no change will result; the injustice of early retirement for women should have been sorted out decades ago.
    It should have been done with sufficient notice for people to plan. Even the government's own advisors said 15 years notice was needed. Many of us got far less than that.

To simply talk of the equality issue is to ignore the real problem.
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,402 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The concept is fairness and it is not fair that men who live shorter lives than women should then be subjected to women objecting to staying in work for an extra few months when this sexist issue is being resolved. It is blatantly fair that the two pension dates are aligned as soon as possible. The unfairness is the length of time it is taking.
    The real failure goes back to 1995 when the government failed to implement a method of allowing women to fill the 5 year gap with a short term pension.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,724 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm one of the women affected - born Oct 1953, advised that my SPA would be 63 years 6 months (as a result of the 1995 change) then that was amended to 64 years 9 months (2011 change) - so this debate is welcome news to me.

However, I'm quite concerned about a petition by a group called WASPI (Women against State Pension Inequality) which I signed some days ago but it now appears that what they have put in the petition differs greatly from what they are saying on their FB page.

Read the last couple of pages on this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5378979
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family