Aldi vs Sainsbury's basics

Options
Sorry if this is written in the wrong place....

I currently shop at Sainsbury's buying mostly their Basic range. I was wondering if I would save more money at Aldi? Next time I go shopping I'll keep the receipt and then compare at Aldi, but seeing as I only go shopping twice a month it's going to be a while! So just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea.

Thank you

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure if there's a great price difference but Aldis is likely to be higher quality for the same money
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not try comparing prices for the things you buy here:

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/Top_Offers_in_Aldi.html
    Stompa
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sarahcuzz wrote: »
    Sorry if this is written in the wrong place....

I currently shop at Sainsbury's buying mostly their Basic range. I was wondering if I would save more money at Aldi? Next time I go shopping I'll keep the receipt and then compare at Aldi, but seeing as I only go shopping twice a month it's going to be a while! So just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea.

Thank you

Aldi's products are similar to Sainsbury's standard line but at Basics prices. You won't see a huge difference in price when comparing to Basics.

Just one example. Sainsbury's Basics Jaffa Cakes 12 for 50p. Sainsbury's standard line 12 for 90p or 36 for £2.00. Jaffa Cakes from McVities are 12 for £1.25 currently on offer 36 for £2.00 and Aldi sells them at 24 for 89p but they are like the Sainsbury's standard ones. Not much difference in price per unit when comparing to Basics but a better quality product.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Sarahcuzz
    Sarahcuzz Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    thank you all :)
  • SupergaryMonk
    Options
    I popped into Lidl yesterday to get a few bits, and then into Sainsburys on the way home.

I had bought 4 items in lidl that I saw in sainsburys on their basics range, tinned tomatoes, dried Pasta, tinned potatoes (I like to keep a can for emergencies) & eggs, all of those items were marginally cheaper in Sainsburys.

On other items they are way out, tinned pulses are a good example, like chickpeas. 32p vrs 80p or something, so I guess, like anything its just mixing up your shopping to the best places
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to more or less split my shopping between Aldi and Sainsbury's but over the past year or so I can now buy almost everything I need in Aldi as they've added to their range. So now I go to Aldi with my list and only occasionally call into Sainsbury's.

As well as the basic tins canned goods which I think are probably only marginally cheaper in Aldi you'll be able to buy fruit and veg much cheaper and meat and cheese and all sorts of other things that are probably on your list.

I'd give it a try if I were you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport