Had a good or bad experience with pensions advice or guidance?

Options
Former_MSE_Will
Former_MSE_Will Posts: 88 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MPs in the Work and Pensions Committee are holding an inquiry into advice and guidance for new “pension freedoms”.

If you’ve recently decided what to do with your retirement savings, the Committee wants to hear from you about any advice or guidance you were given - or thought about taking. It also wants to know if anything could have been better.

Please tell us about it below and we’ll pass on your comments to the Committee.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our [URL="http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-introduction-guide!]Forum Intro Guide[/URL]

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Former_MSE_Will
    Options
    All thoughts welcome! :)

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 August 2015 at 5:57PM
    Options
    I'm an adviser. So, can only say from this side.

If people I don't know call me to sign a form saying they have been told they have to seek advice to get their pension out, I tell them to go elsewhere. The same position as many other advisers I know. There is too much concern over the FCA's position but more importantly, what the FOS is going to rule on a complaint 10-15 years down the road when the PPI companies move on to pensions and start cold calling people to put in fake complaints in the hope of some opportunistic payout.

Remember that the FCA have treated drawdown as high risk in the past. It doesnt appear to have changed that stance.

The Government may have said "buy a Lamborghini" and say its the individual's money to spend as they wish but an adviser would have a mis-sale complaint against them if they let a client spend their money that way. Yes, you can draw attention to the risks and present the risks. Many will get clients to sign to say they have been told the risks but the FOS take little notice of disclaimers. Often suggesting that someone that doesnt know what they are doing is not in a position to say they understand.

Now some of the above may be perception rather than reality but advisers have been crying out for guidance from the FCA and more importantly some idea of what the FOS would expect and issues it would consider when looking at whether advice is suitable or not. We are all making judgement calls at the moment and the easiest judgement call is to refuse to give advice or charge a lot for it because of the fear of future comeback.

For existing clients you have a long relationship and trust built up in both directions and will be prepared to do things. For someone with no relationship calling you because they have been told they need you to sign a form is a risk not worth taking at this time.

There are around 20,000 advisers today. Way down on the 200,000 decades ago (most of whom were sales reps). Those you have today are mostly genuine advisers looking to do a good job and act ethically. We are the ones paying excessive levies for the dodgy sods of the past. Those good advisers have become adverse to risky transactions or transactions that are perceived to be risky (risk as in the type that can come back and bite you on the bum later).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This should be entertaining.
  • philwal_2
    philwal_2 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    The fos has recently issued their stance on insistent clients. They are saying that if the adviser has outlined his advice in writing to the client. If the client was to put in writing to the adviser that they understand what he wishes to do is fully against the advice given and to be treated as an insistent client that should be sufficient. Saying that though I still think it would be high risk for an ifa to do this without and clear guidelines being given and I am sure a few pi insurers would start to get twitchy if the knew advisers were writing this business.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    philwal wrote: »
    The fos has recently issued their stance on insistent clients. They are saying that if the adviser has outlined his advice in writing to the client. If the client was to put in writing to the adviser that they understand what he wishes to do is fully against the advice given and to be treated as an insistent client that should be sufficient. Saying that though I still think it would be high risk for an ifa to do this without and clear guidelines being given and I am sure a few pi insurers would start to get twitchy if the knew advisers were writing this business.

Although around the same time they said that, they went on to uphold a complaint against an adviser who did what the client wanted by giving maximum GAD as they felt the risk warnings were not strong enough (made the financial press). The redress is around £100k.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The fos has recently issued their stance on insistent clients. They are saying that if the adviser has outlined his advice in writing to the client. If the client was to put in writing to the adviser that they understand what he wishes to do is fully against the advice given and to be treated as an insistent client that should be sufficient.
    The FOS are saying that now, but it is of virtually no relevance because advisers are worried about complaints 10-15 years down the line. In 10-15 years' time whoever wrote that guidance will long have moved onto another quango. In 10-15 years' time the FOS could have decided that the clients who complied with that guidance and wrote everything out in their own words could not be expected to understand what they were writing. It would be entirely consistent with their worldview and with decisions they have made in the past. We just don't know, and it's not worth trying to guess.

It used to be reasonably common for people who were fairly savvy about investments - say, retired IFAs - to be sold products on an "execution-only" basis, i.e. their adviser would send them a brochure about an investment but the client would make his own decision and not be issued with a suitability letter and what have you. And would sign an execution-only letter confirming that he understood that he waived the right to advice and to compensation. In exchange the adviser would rebate part of the commission, say 50%.

This practice has now almost entirely died out, because the FOS declared that regardless of what the client had signed, such business was not execution-only on the grounds that sending a client a brochure constitutes advice, and therefore the whole advice process including fact-finding and a suitability letter must be followed.

The FOS therefore has form in deciding that what was A is now B, even if a client and an adviser both agreed that it was A and signed a form to say so. Advisers have no reason not to believe that in 10 years time the FOS will do to handwritten "insistent client" letters exactly what they did to execution-only letters, i.e. declare them null and void.
  • philwal_2
    philwal_2 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Dunstoph I agree 100% that what the fos say and do are two very different things. Until some clear guidelines are given then it is very high risk business for an ifa to write.
  • Soozie781
    Options
    The Government advised that advice should be sought with regards to the new rulings before anything was done about my DC pensin and I went to meet a Pensionwise adviser who it turned out to be just out of training. The information given wasn't of much use as he just confirmed what I had ascertained myself. Furthermore, on contacting my pension provider they informed me that I would have to take out an annuity. When questioned on this, it was because they hadn't had notification from the pension trustees as to what options were available. The Trustees had had over a year to look at this but because this is permissible and not statutory they hadn't done anything about it. Fortunately I do not have to rely on my pension so it is still in limbo until it is sorted out.
  • Baalmaiden
    Options
    I sympathize with Soozie. I had a small pension due this year as I am 60 and have deferred it as I am still working and have 6 years left to get state pension and I'm hoping things will have sorted themselves out by then.
    I didn't approach Pensionwise as the impression I get is that they can advise you on what it is possible to do but cannot tell you what would be best to do. You need to pay for that kind of advice, which is great if you have a large pension pot, but is not so good for those of us with small pension pots.
    My general impression is that if you are numerate and savvy you can do a lot of the research yourself, but I fear that many are not so switched on and need good advice at a low cost.
    p.s. what does FOS stand for - I hate acronyms!
  • izzeyb
    izzeyb Posts: 5,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Financial Ombudsman Service
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts