Anyone used photovideodirect.co.uk?

Options
Billed as an Australian company with UK offices. Quite obviously grey import goods.

There's a Tokina DLSR lens I want that hasn't been released in the UK after months of waiting, and still no sign of a launch date here. I've been seriously considering importing (maybe from Digital Rev) but the above website's price is significantly cheaper -closer to the US price after conversion. They claim to ship from the UK so no customs duties to pay.

With credit card protection I'm really tempted to take the gamble...

Comments

• Racing_Snake_2
    Racing_Snake_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 23 June 2015 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Did you go ahead with this purchase?

I went to make a purchase last night, my card was declined (twice), (not through insufficient funds), so was pointed towards the bank transfer section.

Which (now with hindsight) was rather silly, I made the transfer but it didn't 'disappear' from my account.
    These guys sent me a message this morning asking me for the payment again, so I've just been to my bank to see what happened to the payment.

They said that it was declined by security, because they "had intel" that this was not a legitimate company, and that I would not receive my goods. They said they have this company on a blacklist and will not allow any payment to them, and should i decide to find an alternative, they will not provide any form of protection for me.

So, I'll go back to DigitalRev, who I have used in the past with success.

edit to add, yes, I appreciate this is my first post, but I found this thread from "googling" the company name! :)
  • Pmarmalade
    Pmarmalade Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    My lens arrived today, factory sealed and as described. It was a bit of a hassle to get there (broken website) and it took longer than they promised (which I fully expected and accepted before purchasing, but they shoot themselves in the foot by over-promising and under-delivering). They also only posted it 2nd class Recorded rather than courier despite its lateness - bit of a silly choice on an expensive lens IMO.

But it seems they are legit and the price on Digital Rev when I placed the order was around £100 more. Digital Rev are now just £30 more but I still have concerns about duty fees with them while photovideodirect.co.uk ship from the UK.

I'd use them again if they were cheap enough vs. the competition and knowing I'd never have to pay customs fees.
  • HeadIsSpinning
    HeadIsSpinning Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2016 at 11:04PM
    Options
    This Australian seller uses a hairdressers shop as it's address & was the same details as the now closed tiptop electronics.
    It supplies gray imports, rather than UK stock.
    You the buyer is the importer, not this seller, so are liable for any duty/taxes. (if the item arrives at all)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure