Being in low paid work in your 30's?

Options
At my stage in life (35) most of my friends/relatives have progressed in their careers and are earning a decent salary. Myself I have been unlucky enough to have been made redundant 3 times and sent right back to square 1 and am now back to earning just over the minimum wage again. Earning such a low salary effects things like the ability to get a mortgage which I also do not have.

So my question is, someone in their mid 30's in low paid work what does it say about them? I can't help but feel that others are looking down their noses at me. Its acceptable in your late teens, 20's but I feel in your 30's I should be further along in life.

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What additional training, education and/or voluntary work have you undertaken during your working life, particularly during any periods of unemployment?
  • 1irishninja
    1irishninja Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    I have done a couple of Open University courses, but they were more as a hobby more than anything
  • GothicStirling
    GothicStirling Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Options
    All I think it said about me was that I graduated (mature student) in 2011 into a terrible graduate jobs market. But I worked my !!! off for 3 and a half years, and start my new job with the NHS (will actually be able to start Student Loan repayments!) a week on Monday.
  • mikecc
    mikecc Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    It’s never too late to start!

Jan Koum founded whatsapp when he was 35, after being declined for a job at Google. Ray Kroc started McDonalds at 52, and Karland Sanders started KFC at 65.

You don’t necessarily have to prove your worth to other people if you can do things yourself.

What do you enjoy doing, any hobbies you could do more professionally – for example some people make some pocket money making things, doing photography, buying and selling, etc.

The best thing to do is generate a second source of income for now, using skills you have gained over the years. Sites like peopleperhour are a good platform for you to get your profile out there and take on freelance work. It’s popular with designers, writers, and more.

If you want to progress your career in the corporate world there are a few things you could do, here are some examples:

1) Identify what drives you – for some people it is monetary gain, others it’s working for a cause close to their heart.
    2) Research your target position/career and work backwards, are there particular qualifications or certificates you need? Can you afford to do these? Is it something you can do part time whilst working?
    3) Look within your current employer for opportunities for promotions and secondments, network with senior managers and make it clear you are looking to progress. You want your name to be on their mind when they are discussing new ideas.
    4) Find a coach/mentor within your employer. Most big businesses have these, normally someone senior who supports the career development of a more junior associate. It’s a good way to network and learn from others.
    5) Stay positive! Sounds like an easy thing to do, and I know it's tough when you are despondent, however positivity spreads, and people are drawn to those who are trying to do something better. Do you want to be the 30-something guy who is always happy to help and take on new projects, or the 30-something guy who is always complaining he's not earning enough?

Above all, know that it can be done. Focus, have a plan. Remember that it's other people you will need, more than any qualification or training. Make an effort to meet those people, and find out how you can help them.

Good luck.
    Recruitment, HR & Career Management Consultant.
    Please click the 'Thanks' button if you found my comments useful!
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have done a couple of Open University courses, but they were more as a hobby more than anything

That's proably what you're doing wrong. You need to invest time and effort in yourself and your career rather than simply assuming you'll be promoted because of adequate job performance.
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All I think it said about me was that I graduated (mature student) in 2011 into a terrible graduate jobs market. But I worked my !!! off for 3 and a half years, and start my new job with the NHS (will actually be able to start Student Loan repayments!) a week on Monday.

Every silver lining has a cloud;)

Seriously though, congratulations!
  • 1irishninja
    1irishninja Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    At the moment I am working in a small family run firm, when I say small there are 6 of us. I have worked in larger companies 100+ employees, the !!!!!ing and back stabbing really annoyed, money really did bring out the worst in people, sure there was potential to earn a decent living but at the expense of being a horrible person and if I am honest I dreaded going to work.

At the moment I like my work, I like the company, I like the people I work with, pay is not great but I am happy, but as I say I just feel everyone looks down at me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don't knock yourself, it's all about luck, being in the right place at the right time and making risky choices at times (gives an element of fun is how I've started to look at it :o) but if you're happy, that is worth more then any money, you may have the 'down lookers' wrong

Perhaps there are people with mortgages who eat baked beans on toast and bitterly regret it, you just never know

I feel the same when you have people with views that you should be married off with 2.4 children by certain age but it really is just old fashioned views and again not everyone is suited to be Mum/Dad/Wife/Husband, I have also started thinking of the jobs held where you receive the thanks (right down to the silent) from customers to keep things in prospective that is also worth more then the money?
  • pinpin
    pinpin Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    I'm nearly 30 and i've always earnt around minimum wage.

I have drifted apart from most of my friends as a result, as I can't afford to do all of the things that they do each week.
    Most of my friends earn around 5-10 times more money than me, lol.

Still, that's life....
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're happy then that's what counts. Many people earn more and are miserable so if anyone says anything you can just tell them that you really love where you work and the compromise is the pay, but you spent 40 hours a week somewhere you want to be and not many can say that.

If you want a better earning job then people can give you advice. If you want the potential to earn more in the future then there are things you can start doing now to prepare. If you want to stay where you are but make a little more money then think about a second job or a hobby that pays. Facebook selling groups are full of people making something to sell, and I know someone who studied in Feng Shui for fun and does consultations and clutter clearing sessions in her spare time.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport