Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > how to repair holes in T-shirt fabric? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how to repair holes in T-shirt fabric?
Views: 37,831
# 1
nodwah
Old 07-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default how to repair holes in T-shirt fabric?

I'm wearing my lovely new top that I got in the sales and it was the only one in the shop, and I have just snagged it and made a 2mm hole right over my B***!!!. Is there any way to repair it would invisible menders be able to do it (if I found one - do they still exist? How do you know they're there? HAR har)
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Hardup Hester
Old 08-08-2007, 7:23 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Oh dear Nod, what a shame, if you can get any thread the same colour as the top, you may be able to sew it that way, try the yellow pages for menders, or your local dry cleaners.
Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hardup Hester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
GreenNinja
Old 08-08-2007, 10:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hiya Nodwah,

I have a couple of tshirts that I got mega reduced cos of small holes.

What you need is a small square of iron on interfacing, stuff that you would normally use to line a waistband.

Pin the square to the reverse of the tshirt with the sticky side to the fabric obviously and iron very carefully with tip of iron on the patch. Once you can see part of it is stuck remove the pins and iron gently so its smooth. In this way you get an almost invisible repair.

XX
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenNinja For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
potsofmoney (I wish)
Old 08-08-2007, 12:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

That is so annoying, it happened to me once as I was determined to wear the top that day, I'm not much of a sewer but I found an old baby gro which was a similer colour and made a little patch to sew on. It did the trick, hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to potsofmoney (I wish) For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
nodwah
Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks guys, I've got some interfacing so I'll try that and even if it's a bit okay I'll just wear a cardi over it!
# 6
lindseykim13
Old 26-06-2010, 9:36 PM

Default How to fix a hole in a kids cotton top?

My 5yo ds decided to jump off the table earlier and catch the back of his tshirt and made a small hole/rip in it about 10p size. I wouldn't normally bother and just give it to the rag bin but it's his favourite top and fairly new. He was quite upset is there any way to fix it without it looking too obvious?
# 7
sjr13
Old 26-06-2010, 9:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Could you get a motif, such as a number like on a football top and sew it over the top of the hole?

My cat ripped a hole in a thin little cotton top I've got, I just bought a couple of butterfly motifs and sewed them on, sometimes you can get iron on ones for speed.
# 8
Hannah_10
Old 26-06-2010, 9:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Magic iron on stuff, hang on will try a search see if I can find it, you go it on the inside and it wont look too bad. Failing that a cool patch might be an option.

EDIT: Nope, can't find, sorry. I know what I mean and so would any habadashery/ sewing shop, just sorry I can't better show you.

Last edited by Hannah_10; 26-06-2010 at 10:07 PM.
# 9
Larumbelle
Old 26-06-2010, 10:01 PM

If not in an area that it's practical to patch I would try fabric repair powder from Ebay/ haberdashers /Betterware / Kleeneze. Sometimes you might need a rag of similar fabric colour/type if it's a hole rather than a rip.
Don't be taken in by the debt vultures - get free and impartial debt advice instead!
CCCS - 0800 138 1111 | National Debtline - 0800 0808 4000 | Citizens Advice Bureau

# 10
meritaten
Old 26-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

you can buy motifs (iron on ones) in haberdashers and on internet. or darn the hole using sewing cotton. or you can use the iron on Wonderweb (for hems) and back it with a small peice of tshirt from the rag bag. or just accept there is a hole in that tshirt and let him wear it. dont the kids of today LIKE holey and ripped clothes?
There sure are a lot of laws in this country - but there aint much Justice!!!
(Dean Koontz - One Door Away From Heaven)
# 11
Owain Moneysaver
Old 26-06-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseykim13 View Post
My 5yo ds decided to jump off the table earlier and catch the back of his tshirt and made a small hole/rip in it about 10p size. I wouldn't normally bother and just give it to the rag bin but it's his favourite top and fairly new. He was quite upset is there any way to fix it without it looking too obvious?
If you have a sewing machine you can 'embroider' over the rip in zig-zag stitch.

Otherwise wundaweb but be careful not to stick the t-shirt to the ironing board!
# 12
lindseykim13
Old 28-06-2010, 11:25 PM

Thanks everyone only just got back to the thread, the hole is on the back so a bit of a pain to cover over with a patch lol, i've got some of the webbing/hemming tape stuff is that the stuff used?

Or i suppose i could just stitch it back together it's flipping luminous green so not the easiest colour to match typical
# 13
boardtc
Old 13-07-2010, 7:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Interfacing iron?

Man I have a bunch of t-shirts that I would like to do this repair on. Where can I buy this interfacing iron? I don't know what it is.

Thanks, Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
Hiya Nodwah,

I have a couple of tshirts that I got mega reduced cos of small holes.

What you need is a small square of iron on interfacing, stuff that you would normally use to line a waistband.

Pin the square to the reverse of the tshirt with the sticky side to the fabric obviously and iron very carefully with tip of iron on the patch. Once you can see part of it is stuck remove the pins and iron gently so its smooth. In this way you get an almost invisible repair.

XX
# 14
2009ismyyear
Old 13-07-2010, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Your alternative is to get a motif/patch and see it over the top - or several and sew them in other places as well so that it looks like it was meant to be like that!!
# 15
Penelope Penguin
Old 13-07-2010, 8:11 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodwah View Post
Is there any way to repair it would invisible menders be able to do it (if I found one - do they still exist? How do you know they're there? HAR har)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardtc View Post
Man I have a bunch of t-shirts that I would like to do this repair on. Where can I buy this interfacing iron? I don't know what it is.

Thanks, Tom.
It's iron-on interfacing you want Mine's from e-bay.
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
# 16
patchwork cat
Old 13-07-2010, 10:23 PM

I was going to say Woolies - how many times do I find myself say that! Wilkinsons probably do it. We have used on iron hemmer, but it needs to not be in an obvious place and might be an issue if the fabric was an unusual colour or there were bits of the fabric missing, if all the fabric is there might be possible.
# 17
boardtc
Old 13-07-2010, 11:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope Penguin View Post

It's iron-on interfacing you want
Now it makes sense! I just picked up some colours. Thanks very much!