Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Hardup Hester
    • 8th Aug 07, 7:23 AM
    • 8th Aug 07, 7:23 AM
    Oh dear Nod, what a shame, if you can get any thread the same colour as the top, you may be able to sew it that way, try the yellow pages for menders, or your local dry cleaners.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • GreenNinja
    • 8th Aug 07, 10:43 AM
    • 8th Aug 07, 10:43 AM
    Hiya Nodwah,

I have a couple of tshirts that I got mega reduced cos of small holes.

What you need is a small square of iron on interfacing, stuff that you would normally use to line a waistband.

Pin the square to the reverse of the tshirt with the sticky side to the fabric obviously and iron very carefully with tip of iron on the patch. Once you can see part of it is stuck remove the pins and iron gently so its smooth. In this way you get an almost invisible repair.

XX
  • potsofmoney (I wish)
    • 8th Aug 07, 12:09 PM
    • 8th Aug 07, 12:09 PM
    That is so annoying, it happened to me once as I was determined to wear the top that day, I'm not much of a sewer but I found an old baby gro which was a similer colour and made a little patch to sew on. It did the trick, hope this helps.
  • nodwah
    • 9th Aug 07, 12:07 AM
    • 9th Aug 07, 12:07 AM
    Thanks guys, I've got some interfacing so I'll try that and even if it's a bit okay I'll just wear a cardi over it!
  • lindseykim13
    • 26th Jun 10, 9:36 PM
    How to fix a hole in a kids cotton top?
    • 26th Jun 10, 9:36 PM
    My 5yo ds decided to jump off the table earlier and catch the back of his tshirt and made a small hole/rip in it about 10p size. I wouldn't normally bother and just give it to the rag bin but it's his favourite top and fairly new. He was quite upset is there any way to fix it without it looking too obvious?
  • sjr13
    • 26th Jun 10, 9:39 PM
    • 26th Jun 10, 9:39 PM
    Could you get a motif, such as a number like on a football top and sew it over the top of the hole?

My cat ripped a hole in a thin little cotton top I've got, I just bought a couple of butterfly motifs and sewed them on, sometimes you can get iron on ones for speed.
  • Hannah_10
    • 26th Jun 10, 9:56 PM
    • 26th Jun 10, 9:56 PM
    Magic iron on stuff, hang on will try a search see if I can find it, you go it on the inside and it wont look too bad. Failing that a cool patch might be an option.

EDIT: Nope, can't find, sorry. I know what I mean and so would any habadashery/ sewing shop, just sorry I can't better show you.
    Last edited by Hannah_10; 26-06-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    • Larumbelle
    • By Larumbelle 26th Jun 10, 10:01 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 10,035 Thanks
    Larumbelle
    • 26th Jun 10, 10:01 PM
    • 26th Jun 10, 10:01 PM
    If not in an area that it's practical to patch I would try fabric repair powder from Ebay/ haberdashers /Betterware / Kleeneze. Sometimes you might need a rag of similar fabric colour/type if it's a hole rather than a rip.

• meritaten
    • By meritaten 26th Jun 10, 10:56 PM
    • 23,115 Posts
    • 60,821 Thanks
    meritaten
    you can buy motifs (iron on ones) in haberdashers and on internet. or darn the hole using sewing cotton. or you can use the iron on Wonderweb (for hems) and back it with a small peice of tshirt from the rag bag. or just accept there is a hole in that tshirt and let him wear it. dont the kids of today LIKE holey and ripped clothes?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 26th Jun 10, 11:08 PM
    • 6,771 Posts
    • 6,920 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    My 5yo ds decided to jump off the table earlier and catch the back of his tshirt and made a small hole/rip in it about 10p size. I wouldn't normally bother and just give it to the rag bin but it's his favourite top and fairly new. He was quite upset is there any way to fix it without it looking too obvious?
    Originally posted by lindseykim13
    If you have a sewing machine you can 'embroider' over the rip in zig-zag stitch.

Otherwise wundaweb but be careful not to stick the t-shirt to the ironing board!
  • lindseykim13
    Thanks everyone only just got back to the thread, the hole is on the back so a bit of a pain to cover over with a patch lol, i've got some of the webbing/hemming tape stuff is that the stuff used?

Or i suppose i could just stitch it back together it's flipping luminous green so not the easiest colour to match typical
  • boardtc
    Interfacing iron?
    Man I have a bunch of t-shirts that I would like to do this repair on. Where can I buy this interfacing iron? I don't know what it is.

Thanks, Tom.

Hiya Nodwah,

I have a couple of tshirts that I got mega reduced cos of small holes.

What you need is a small square of iron on interfacing, stuff that you would normally use to line a waistband.

Pin the square to the reverse of the tshirt with the sticky side to the fabric obviously and iron very carefully with tip of iron on the patch. Once you can see part of it is stuck remove the pins and iron gently so its smooth. In this way you get an almost invisible repair.

XX
    Originally posted by GreenNinja
  • 2009ismyyear
    Your alternative is to get a motif/patch and see it over the top - or several and sew them in other places as well so that it looks like it was meant to be like that!!
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 13th Jul 10, 8:11 PM
    • 17,085 Posts
    • 132,725 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Is there any way to repair it would invisible menders be able to do it (if I found one - do they still exist? How do you know they're there? HAR har)
    Originally posted by nodwah

Man I have a bunch of t-shirts that I would like to do this repair on. Where can I buy this interfacing iron? I don't know what it is.

Thanks, Tom.
    Originally posted by boardtc
    It's iron-on interfacing you want Mine's from e-bay.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 13th Jul 10, 10:23 PM
    • 5,595 Posts
    • 8,662 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    I was going to say Woolies - how many times do I find myself say that! Wilkinsons probably do it. We have used on iron hemmer, but it needs to not be in an obvious place and might be an issue if the fabric was an unusual colour or there were bits of the fabric missing, if all the fabric is there might be possible.
  • boardtc

It's iron-on interfacing you want
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    Now it makes sense! I just picked up some colours. Thanks very much!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,338Posts Today

7,680Users online

Martin's Twitter