PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Living alone for the first time

Options
whoknowskt
whoknowskt Posts: 14 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 28 April 2015 at 5:42PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me!
From housework to bills to saving money or supermarket shopping! Any tips that you have that could help!
I have recently bought my own place and I am living alone for the first time ever!
Before this I lived with my parents and otherwise have only lived with an ex partner and their family for a while.

Thankfully I can cook and I was taught a fair few things, but any tips would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!!
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Lynplatinum
    Options
    Hiya

The above phrase was in a 19th century book on how to teach your servants!!!

However, it is true - so I will pass you on my habits that save a lot of agony!!

1) only put so much cash in your purse/wallet each week AND ONLY use that - never your card! It will keep you to target budget!
    2) Do it now - if you spot a mess/chore/dirt - do it now - dont leave it the dirt and dust and mess gremlins soon cause it to mount up and get to the impossible stage
    3) While the kettle boils - you can do odd random chores - e.g. empty the bin; dry up dishes;write a cheque; call a utility; read a meter; hoover a small room etc!
    4) dont put it down stuff like the post - its called in business management - 'one touch paperwork' so take it off the mat; pay the bill and file the paperwork - then you can always find the paperwork when you have to argue with any one.
    5) Never be afraid to call a friend - they will probably be v happy to chat! Also there are always friends on here - try the Make Do, Mend and Minimalise one with Cheerfulness 4 - very friendly! Also Not buying it in 2015 thread!

I ve been on my own now for 7 years and I am managing fine!
    Take care:)
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2015 at 6:18AM
    Options
    Work out the quantities of food you will need BEFORE buying. One person really doesn't eat that much. You should have seen just how much I over-estimated quantities to buy when I first started catering for myself:o.

It's a good deal more expensive to live on your own, but don't ever get into discussions with "smug marrieds" about it. They simply wont believe how much more expensive it is for a single person to live than it is for them <sighs>. I wasted my breath enough times carefully explaining that bills are much dearer for a single person/a single person is having to pay all the rent or mortgage on their own. I don't understand why they apparently don't understand - when they have all the figures laid out and explained to them....but many won't...
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would say keep full accounts to start with so you can see exactly what everything is costing you. Also delay as long as you can any contracts and major expenses until your budget has settled and you know for sure if you can afford them sky sports/ gym subscription/ new sofa...
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    You need less stuff than you think. Spoken as a single person living alone who has a ton of miscellaneous stuff :o . In the first few months, don't buy household things when you think you need them if at all possible, wait a bit and see if it's an ongoing need. Experience again - I have stuff I've bought and barely used.

Be careful on the quantities of veg and other perishables that you buy, as it goes off fast and you may not get through it all. The concept of a weekly shop kind of went out the window when I found myself alone as I ended up throwing so much perishable food out before I went to buying smaller quantities more often. Nowadays I nip down to the local Tesco a couple of times a week and buy less than a basket worth each time. End result was much less discarded food.

Cook and freeze - recipies often seem aimed at two or more, so where something doesn't reduce well to a single person, I will make up the full amount then split it and freeze it. Similarly I tend to buy meat and fish in bulk then split it into one or two meal quantities in freezer bags before cooking.

If you like roast dinners (I do), they are a lot of work for one person.

Don't forget the single occupant discount on council tax. After you've settled in to a routine for a couple of months, then look at your spending to see where savings might be made. It's difficult at first as you're still getting used to it and possibly buying stuff that you will need for the future.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Consider going on a water meter, as they make up a price based on an assumption of full occupancy. My estimated bill was literally twice as much before I got a meter fitted.

Enjoy sitting around in an old dressing gown eating whatever you fancy out of the cupboards whilst watching trash on the telly!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Enjoy sitting around in an old dressing gown eating whatever you fancy out of the cupboards whilst watching trash on the telly!

My secret is out :rotfl:

I do prefer icecream though LOL!!!

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • whoknowskt
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Consider going on a water meter, as they make up a price based on an assumption of full occupancy. My estimated bill was literally twice as much before I got a meter fitted.

I had a meter installed on Saturday :-)

Haha I'm currently sat around in slob clothes and ate riveta for dinner as I couldn't be bothered to cook after a long day at work and sorting through 6 box files of paperwork. ... so tempted to now grab the icecream or chocolate!
  • whoknowskt
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have you seen these threads? :)
    /forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4867512
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3378436&highlight=living+alone

This was started 10 years ago but has been updated more recently.
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3078034&highlight=single

I read most of the pages before I got this flat. Must admit one is more chat now and it's interesting to read about everyone's lives!

Thanks though :)
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

don't buy individual cleaners, kitchen, bathroom, windows, etc, buy Stardrops, use it for everything, save money, less clutter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure