PS4 Games up to the mark yet?

Options
When the PS4 was launched, the consensus was that there wasn't a game around which was really worthy of it. Does anyone think that this situation has changed a year or two down the line?

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hit the brakes at the PS3, Games have reached their limit for me. The graphics might improve with the PS4 (debatable) but the gameplay is just the same.

I miss multiplayer OFFLINE games, common with the PS2, where a few mates could get together and play in the same room, without worrying about another console or the internet.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Kunfuslippers
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    I miss multiplayer OFFLINE games, common with the PS2, where a few mates could get together and play in the same room, without worrying about another console or the internet.

Bring back Baldurs gate etc. Those were the days
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    There is a big difference in a game such as GTA V on the PS4, compared to the PS3. A big enough difference to justifying buying it again, I'm not 100% on that.

Companies will still be looking at ways to push the PS4 to its limit.

Look at the Xbox 360 and PS3 early games, GTA V on the Xbox 360 and PS3, pushed those consoles to the absolute limit, like nothing else really did before.

I'm guessing as PS3's break and PS4's come down in price, more people will eventually jump ship. £200 - £250, isn't a huge amount of money for people who are working an average paying job.
  • szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hit the brakes at the PS3, Games have reached their limit for me. The graphics might improve with the PS4 (debatable) but the gameplay is just the same.

I agree with this. There won't be much more in terms of games "revolutionizing" a genre by it's game play... as much as a developer may claim they have done. Most genres have been done to death by now.

You're simply paying for better storytelling, better visuals and the potential for more things going on at any one time most of which is usually irrelevant to the current game play anyway and is more a "wow" factor thing, like Dead Rising 3, at the start when it looks like there are hundreds of Zombies you have to get through.
    Professional Data Monkey

• ConsumerMatt
    Options
    I upgraded from Xb360 to PS4 and I love it but then for me it was a whole console change rather than a minor upgrade. I think the PS4 interface is shoddy but the overall feel is completely different to me compared to using an Xbox.

I could write paragraphs about how much I like the PS4 and write all the pros and cons but overall is it worth upgrading? The visuals and audio (because I have a decent sound system) add a lot for me but then for most that doesn't really matter too much.

I highly doubt you'd be disappointed. If you are thinking too much about it and considering the investment value then you probably shouldn't be gaming anyway :).
  • Crazy_Jamie
    Crazy_Jamie Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure there will be eventually, but at the moment there is certainly nothing in the PS4's library that has convinced me that it is worth buying one.
    Get a Wii U. Absolutely superb console for local multiplayer thanks to the way that the gamepad can be used in combination with standard wiimotes.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a Wii U. Absolutely superb console for local multiplayer thanks to the way that the gamepad can be used in combination with standard wiimotes.

My thoughts exactly, the Wii U is generally aimed more at local multiplayer rather than online and the compatibility with existing controllers as you say is very impressive - I was playing a four player game at Christmas using the gamepad, a Wii classic controller, Wii-U Pro controller and a Wiimote/Nun-chuk all of which worked seamlessly together.

Plus of course many of the games are brilliant, the Xbox has been my choice of console for the last couple of generations but this time it's easily the Wii U for its great high quality first party games that offer something a bit different. I've been very disappointed with the Xbox One which feels like so many steps backward and while the Wii U lacks graphical grunt compared to the PS4/Xbox One but if graphical performance is important then the PC is the obvious choice as even though the PS4 and Xbox One are new and should have their biggest advantage against the PC they're already a long way behind a decent PC, even some of the budget AMD APU's can manage 1080p better than the consoles can.

John
  • Sheepster
    Sheepster Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Interesting people saying how the GAMEPLAY won't change on current generation. This is true.

Let's go back to the last generation jump, let's say the Xbox to Xbox 360. We could even be more extreme and compare "way back" consoles and pc's.
    There were the reviewers have said, a few releases which were at the time "stand out" releases, which changed gaming to some extent. This simply because the mechanics or scenario couldn't have happened on the previous generation.
    Examples are Uncharted on the PS3, Assassins Creed on both, and perhaps Oblivion.
    Uncharted wasn't as open world as people seem to think it is, but the other two certainly had this element, and combined with graphics for this type of play, and mechanics, it just couldn't have really happened on the old generation.

We have though reached a plateau, in that "what else could gaming do?" The holy grail of being able to just walk anywhere in a gaming world seamlessly, ie you turn a corner and it's like walking around your own town - well that's now been reached.

A gaming journalist a few years ago said that the aim he could see was to one day be able to produce gaming graphics quality to match a Pixar cartoon, but at the moment this wasn't feasible. This isn't too far off, but we still aren't at that stage.

So graphics aside, what else is there to achieve? Yes in an open world game, perhaps the world could be huge, no "pop-in", better graphics, but thats about it.
    Driving games - well some of these had the driving mechanics near perfect already in last generation.

What is going to be the "stand out moment" in the current generation? I can't think of a possibility, gaming can't change at all except for graphics. The consoles are already out, so they can't introduce something weird like smells or shock pads which give you pain if you make a mistake (Imagine trying to sell that one hehe)

One thing I can think of, would be an open world RPG where your actions really do affect your world, you can burn down forests, towns rebuild, people react in very varied ways depending on how you react with them............but I'm not sure even current consoles (Or even high end pc's) could as yet manage this.

So I reckon this generation will just be a graphics fest upgrade. Any change will just be down to fashion (Example - at one time it was fashionable for turn based combat, now it isn't. At one time games didn't have a story to speak of, now many do and the story side seems to be becoming more important in games)
  • thunguyethyc
    Options
    So we can expect more than the 29 Vita games then. Much better than the PS3s 12!
  • woody2234
    woody2234 Posts: 414 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For PS4 people the big games are coming which are Star Wars Battlefront 2015 in November 2015 and Uncharted 4 in 2016 and Gran Turismo 7 in 2016 and they will not be on PS3
    Let them eat cake (Marie Antoinette 1765)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure