PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest way to use washing machine?

Options
Time for another daft question....... :D

This may seems silly but is washing at 30 degrees cheaper than washing at 40 degrees and if yes, how?

I also have a 32 minute cycle at 50 degrees - is this cheaper then using a normal 30/40 degrees wash (my normal cycle is just over an hour) as it's only half the time.

I realise washing machine to washing machine will vary but I'm looking for a gereral answer.
Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!

Comments

• craftynutters
    Options
    hi not sure but think it works out cheaper because the machine soaks the clothes at 30 also takes less energy to heat the water so machine switched on longer but not going all the time
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh the same subject (sorry for partial thread hijack), I use Ariel tablets but only put one in per wash instead of the recommended 2. I find if I wash at 30 things are coming out a bit dirty but if I wash at 40 they are clean.

So which would be less harmful to the environment/more moneysaving, washing at 30 with 2 tablets or washing at 40 with one.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I wash everything at 30 on a quick wash, with white if very grubby then I use vanish. The only thing that really dosen't come out spotless are my sons and husbands white socks as they both where tham while in the garden, can't be bothered to where shoes:eek: :eek: :eek: .Even if they came out spotless they would be dirty within 5 miutes so as they don't smell on a 30 wash they can where clean dirty socks!! We also have started to use the quick wash on the dishwasher 35 mins at 45c the dishes come out clean and dry. I do a long dishwasher wash about twice a week to flush the pipes out. I will do anythink now to save money!! Will be interesting to see if my utility bills are reduced!!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it will depend if your wm fills from hot or cold water. If from hot, then you've already paid for the water to be heated to whatever your immmersion heater is set to. If from cold, then yes it will be cheaper.

My wm fills from cold and I've noticed a big difference in wash-times, much quicker at 30 or 40 degrees as the water obviously takes less time to come to temperature.

I've turned down my water heater - can't see the sense in having water out of the tap that's too hot to wash hands/wash up/whatever. My shower is separate and so isn't affected.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family