Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jackrat
    How long before a debt is written off
    • 23rd Jul 07, 1:44 PM
    How long before a debt is written off 23rd Jul 07 at 1:44 PM
    I know it is bad but about 8 years ago we had a considerable debt with Nat West. We have moved twice since I last had contact with them but I was still paying towards it for a while just never gave them my new address. I didn't clear the debt but anyone else who was chasing me at the time did trace me to my new address and I did redirect the post for a year but never heard anything from Nat West.

Now I would like to open a basic account with them (the step account) because they are easier for me to get to than the other banks that offer these types of accounts. Will they be able to trace me to that original debt and can they still claim it from me after all this time?

Thanks for your help
Page 2
  • shedhead55
    i had a loan off provident and still owed £1.000 20 years ago and i want to apply to them now for a small loan . but i'm worried that the debt will still be outstanding . how long is it till a debt is written off ? can you please help me .
    Originally posted by mrmouse
    As has previously been said debts are rarely written off but usually become unenforceable after 6 years of no payment or acknowledgement.
    Why go to a company you owe money to for a loan, there's plenty more to choose from.
  • mrmouse
    small loans
    if i take out a small personal loan with one company can i take out another with a different company at the same time ?
    • RichL74
    • By RichL74 21st Aug 12, 1:37 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    RichL74
    By small personal loans, are we talking payday / doorstep loans?
  • mrmouse
    doorstep loans
    • RichL74
    • By RichL74 21st Aug 12, 3:46 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    RichL74
    I'm not an authority but I dont think they would necessarily do a credit check on you on your doorstep so you could technically have more than one from other companies however try to avoid going down this route if possible. I remember the house down the road the couple would hide behind their sofa on collection day. Good luck.
  • shanny40
    20 years old
    Hello everyone, I have a credit card debt thru my bank that is 20 years old, yes, 20 years. I have just now within this last 6 months have had a creditor contact me to pay it back. I was told years ago that since it is so old that it written off but could possibly still affect my credit rating. This company has given me an offer to pay a very low amount compared to the original amount, which is very high because of all the interest. I do not want, or can afford, to pay anything and I have told them so. They are now telling me that since my debt is with the same bank institution I am with now, they could literally take the money out of my account without any court papers etc..can this be done??!!

Help!
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 26th Oct 12, 5:35 PM
    • 15,050 Posts
    • 21,386 Thanks
    antrobus
    .. I have told them so. They are now telling me that since my debt is with the same bank institution I am with now, they could literally take the money out of my account without any court papers etc..can this be done??!!...
    Originally posted by shanny40
    Yes.

(.......)
  • shanny40
    How can they do this without consent from a court or even knowing my account details, the bank allows this to happen?
  • shanny40
    How can they do this without going thru the court system first? 20 year old debt..really!!??
    • mcjordi
    • By mcjordi 26th Oct 12, 8:03 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 9,124 Thanks
    mcjordi
    its in the terms and conditions of the banks paperwork

i suggest you move banks asap
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Tellmeitisntso
    Alarmed
    I have today received five years of invoices for a service charge that I didnt know I owed. It was an admin error and affects some 10 people..... amounting to £1,500 per household..... am I liable..... it has come as a shock. It was somehow missed by the accounting department and I guess an audit has brought it to light. It was for a monitoring charge of an alarm system... I have paid for the twice annual services etc over this time and in no way thought I owed anything else.
    • Tixy
    • By Tixy 11th Jul 13, 12:36 PM
    • 31,076 Posts
    • 39,469 Thanks
    Tixy
    I have today received five years of invoices for a service charge that I didnt know I owed. It was an admin error and affects some 10 people..... amounting to £1,500 per household..... am I liable..... it has come as a shock. It was somehow missed by the accounting department and I guess an audit has brought it to light. It was for a monitoring charge of an alarm system... I have paid for the twice annual services etc over this time and in no way thought I owed anything else.
    Originally posted by Tellmeitisntso
    Welcome to the forum
    You really need to start a new thread for your query. It would probably be useful if you can describe your circumstances - does this relate to your residential property do you own your property leasehold or freehold etc?
    You might want to try your new post on this section of the forum House Buying, Renting & Selling
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give

or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • adb34
    So when the six years has lapsed how do you get this debt removed from your credit file?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 2nd May 14, 4:09 PM
    • 11,973 Posts
    • 11,457 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hello everyone, I have a credit card debt thru my bank that is 20 years old, yes, 20 years. I have just now within this last 6 months have had a creditor contact me to pay it back. I was told years ago that since it is so old that it written off but could possibly still affect my credit rating. This company has given me an offer to pay a very low amount compared to the original amount, which is very high because of all the interest. I do not want, or can afford, to pay anything and I have told them so. They are now telling me that since my debt is with the same bank institution I am with now, they could literally take the money out of my account without any court papers etc..can this be done??!!

Help!
    Originally posted by shanny40

Yes, its called "right of offset" because you owe your own bank money, it can quiet legally take what you owe it from any account of there's held by you, of course the funds need to be there first of course, you need to change banks for definite as they can take this money whenever they want from your account, there is no time limit on this, the only way out of it is to close all accounts you have with this bank, you can then send them the "statute barred" letter, and that should be the end of the matter.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • National Debtline
    So when the six years has lapsed how do you get this debt removed from your credit file?
    Originally posted by adb34
    Hello there,

Information regarding your credit agreements generally stays on your credit file for a period of six years, as such it's usually the case that after six years the information will simply fall off the file automatically.

If you click through this link you'll be able to find our credit referencing fact sheet.

Best wishes,

David @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • rikkic
    Catalog debt
    order sumthink for a online catalog round about 6 years ago was 40quid forgot all about it now they think i ow thm 177 cause the debt been pass on can they still chase me for this and can they send me to court i dnt think i shud pay 4times teh amount originally owed a lil help people a door caller came to my house the other day left a card am not paying £177 after 6 years were do i stand can they take me to court or shoud the debt be statue barred ?
  • rikkic
    order sumthink for a online catalog round about 6 years ago was 40quid and england shirt forgot all about it now they think i ow thm 177 cause the debt been pass on can they still chase me for this and can they send me to court i dnt think i shud pay 4times teh amount originally owed a lil help people a door caller came to my house the other day left a card am not paying £177 after 6 years were do i stand can they take me to court or shoud the debt be written off and tehere trying there luck ?
    • rizla king
    • By rizla king 10th May 14, 3:06 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 1,892 Thanks
    rizla king
    Give them this letter https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/25%20EW%20Time%20limits%20for%20recovering%20debts/Page-06.aspx
    • hayleyrose
    • By hayleyrose 23rd Sep 15, 10:07 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hayleyrose
    Debt help
    Hi, My boyfriend has a debt with Halifax its been around 3 & half years they have not chased him nor contacted him at all. We are now looking to have our own property but are worried in doing so. If we get our own home will Halifax then catch up to our new address? Advice very much appreciated, thanks.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 23rd Sep 15, 12:46 PM
    • 11,973 Posts
    • 11,457 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi, My boyfriend has a debt with Halifax its been around 3 & half years they have not chased him nor contacted him at all. We are now looking to have our own property but are worried in doing so. If we get our own home will Halifax then catch up to our new address? Advice very much appreciated, thanks.
    Originally posted by hayleyrose
    Hi,
    Please start a new thread, this old thread is from 2012.
    Just click the "new thread" button !!!!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,046Posts Today

6,901Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• Follow Martin