EA Games are offering the entire 'The Sims 2' collection free until 31st July 2014

Options
Reya
Reya Posts: 190 Forumite
First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 29 July 2014 at 5:14PM in It's gone, but was it any good?
EA Games and Origin have just announced that the entire The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection is available for everyone to download, free of charge, until 31st July 2014.

ts2.jpg

You'll need to download the Origin client (this is software just like Steam: a desktop gaming client) and create a free Origin account in order to get the games. Origin is linked to EA Games, so it's perfectly safe.

What you'll get with the download:

• The Sims 2 Base Game
  • All eight expansion packs
  • All ten 'stuff' packs (extra content)

This is an amazing offer, but you'll need at least 12.57GB of space on your computer, as that's how much content is in the full game.

I'd recommend you start downloading as soon as possible, because it'll probably take a week to get it all! I started downloading about half an hour ago and I'm still only at 20%. You can pause downloads and resume them easily with Origin.

Information from EA on how to get the games can be found here:

http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-get-the-sims-2-ultimate-collection/

I'm a huge Sims fan, so I couldn't believe this offer when I saw it, but it's absolutely legit. I can't wait to start playing! :)

(Posted in Grabbit, rather than Freebies, because it's a limited-time offer. Please move if it needs to be moved!)

A couple of later edits

1. If you're wondering why the game seems to be stuck on a screen about pets the first time you start it up, read this post (in this thread) to get an idea of what to expect when you start playing. (It can take a while for the whole thing to sort itself out, especially the first time you play after installing so many packs!)

2. If you're using Windows 8 and the game is crashing, there's a link for advice in this post (again, in this thread).

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: This offer is available until 5pm Thu 31 Jul. To get The Sims 2 and all the expansion packs you'll first need to create an Origin account and then begin your download.

Follow this thread to see how other Forumites have got on with finding this deal.

Thanks to Reya for posting.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
I was cut out to be rich, but got sewn up wrong.

Comments

• Retro_Bunny
    Retro_Bunny Posts: 650 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not entirely sure you have to download it straight away.

As long as you redeem the product code, and it's successfully added to "My Games" tab, then it's available to download at your leisure?

This seems to be the case with Battlefield 3 which was offered as a freebie some months ago (only reason I've got an Origin account).
    --- Warning: Grumpy Old Man in Training ---
  • Dreamscometrue
    Options
    The Sims 2 Code Activation issues

We are currently investigating the code activation issues that some players are experiencing when they attempt to load The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection for the first time. Please be aware that support lines are currently at maximum capacity, so you will experience longer than average wait times.

Thank you for your patience.
  • lulu_92
    lulu_92 Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Soooooo doing this later :)
    Our Rainbow Twins born 17th April 2016
    :A 02.06.2015 :A
    :A 29.12.2018 :A

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Downloading now, you should be able to actually download at another time as if you log on to another computer with Origin you can play your games.
  • kelly140481
    kelly140481 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have downloaded, but whenever I try to create a sim the game crashes...what a waste of time :(
  • Dreamscometrue
    Options
    When I start the game an animation runs then the middle of the screen shows 'Fun with Pets collection'. Eventually it starts up but then goes to 'Mansion and garden stuff'. I don't get options to start anything else so there must be issues with this. I waited 90 minutes on chat (I was doing other things while waiting) to get the right product code as before it would not start up at all. I will try to contact them again as I'd like to try it and it's clearly awry from their side.
  • laughingcow81
    Options
    Uh oh, doesn't sound good :(

I'm in the process of downloading now...
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I start the game an animation runs then the middle of the screen shows 'Fun with Pets collection'. Eventually it starts up but then goes to 'Mansion and garden stuff'. I don't get options to start anything else so there must be issues with this. I waited 90 minutes on chat (I was doing other things while waiting) to get the right product code as before it would not start up at all. I will try to contact them again as I'd like to try it and it's clearly awry from their side.

I have had exactly the same problem.
  • Reya
    Reya Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    OK, I've finally had the chance to sit down and play, and my download seems fine.

What you should be seeing when you start the game through Origin, is the following:

1. Up to a 4-5 minute load time with the 'Fun With Pets' load screen (the way the Sims franchises work is that the load screen will always show the most recent expansion pack, and 'Fun With Pets' was the final pack for The Sims 2)

2. You should then see another screen titled 'Mansion and Garden Stuff' and on that screen there will be three images: one for each available world.

3. Click one world (I chose Belladonna Cove) and a small window will pop up, showing you more info about the world. Click the > button to start playing that world.

4. You'll then have a (regrettably longish) wait while the game generates various things such as pets, hobbies, etc. Hopefully it'll only need to do this the first time you play. Remember: you've just installed over 19 full games and expansion packs; the game needs a while to sort all of that out!

5. After that wait (it took about 8-10 minutes for me, you'll get another couple of windows welcoming you to the new world and giving you some more info, and you're ready to play.

All-in-all, it took about 15 minutes to get it all set up for me, but the download seems absolutely fine. I'm not sure why others are having problems. :(
    I was cut out to be rich, but got sewn up wrong.
  • Dreamscometrue
    Options
    Reya wrote: »
    OK, I've finally had the chance to sit down and play, and my download seems fine.

What you should be seeing when you start the game through Origin, is the following:

1. Up to a 4-5 minute load time with the 'Fun With Pets' load screen (the way the Sims franchises work is that the load screen will always show the most recent expansion pack, and 'Fun With Pets' was the final pack for The Sims 2)

2. You should then see another screen titled 'Mansion and Garden Stuff' and on that screen there will be three images: one for each available world.

3. Click one world (I chose Belladonna Cove) and a small window will pop up, showing you more info about the world. Click the > button to start playing that world.

4. You'll then have a (regrettably longish) wait while the game generates various things such as pets, hobbies, etc. Hopefully it'll only need to do this the first time you play. Remember: you've just installed over 19 full games and expansion packs; the game needs a while to sort all of that out!

5. After that wait (it took about 8-10 minutes for me, you'll get another couple of windows welcoming you to the new world and giving you some more info, and you're ready to play.

All-in-all, it took about 15 minutes to get it all set up for me, but the download seems absolutely fine. I'm not sure why others are having problems. :(

Great! I've never played it before so don't know what I'm doing! I'll try again with more patience!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure