PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dyeing converse trainers??

Options
martin2345uk
martin2345uk Posts: 907 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 29 July 2014 at 5:24PM in Old style MoneySaving
Got me some cheap converse thanks to a thread on this very board... only ones in my size were yellow looking ones... Fair enough I thought, pastel summery yellow isn't too bad...

However they arrived and they are fluorescence yellow like a high viz jacket!

How easy would it be to dye them? Ideally black but really any colour other than luminous yellow!! :rotfl:

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if you could dye them, maybe paint a dylon dye on with a small brushbut its the white around the sole and where the name converse is I would be dubious about even while rinsing the dye off it might run unless you get a really good sellotape or masking tape and stick it to these areas before rinsing..................or regarding what age you are get some glow sticks and be the oldest raver in town. I quite like the sound of the high viz yellow its summer and you only live once ..................give them all something to talk about!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • martin2345uk
    Options
    craigywv wrote: »
    be the oldest raver in town.

Hey hey hey!! I'm a mere snapper at 32!!
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    someone in work has some "patchwork" converse - could you recreate that with fabric glue and nice Cath Kidston offcuts? or similar?

I bought a white pair and glued some fabric to the tongue with fabric glue and its lasted well.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    to my 17 yr old neice your olddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! said with a bored tone in voice that all teenagers are experts at using lol! no seriously your not old and I woulnd care what they like just strut your stuff who knows they could be the fashion for spring 2015!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for just wearing them! I have the same ones in yellow and also a bright neon green! Brand new charity shop buys. I was hesitant to wear them at first but now I simply love them! They fade down a bit with wear . People do comment from time to time but so far it's been complimentary. I'm 53.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • PennyGSD
    PennyGSD Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Wear 'em as is! They're Converse - no shame in drawing attention to genuine Converse.

Mind you, pop them out in the sun for a couple of days in the weather we're having lately and they'll soon fade.

My husband brought some deep purple ones, and within one summer they'd faded to a pale lilac.
  • martin2345uk
    Options
    Haha ok guys maybe I'll give it a go.. I'll post a photo or 2 :-p
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd aim more for brown than black tbh.. should take a dye fine
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Denando
    Denando Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a navy suede pair from years ago that I recently dyed black with a suede dye. The bristly brush supplied was useless so I used an old soft makeup brush. I had a bit of kitchen roll with flash on it in case of dribbles - catching them quick hardly left a mark on the rubber. Or maybe mask off the white bits with thick Vaseline or similar. Just need to be slow and careful. A good fabric dye should take fine on cotton canvas.

Slightly related, I have an old pair of mesh water trainers I'd like to dye but have no idea what to use on those so, if anyone has any suggestions for that ... I did try a small area of the tongue with a Sharpie and that worked fine but I think doing 2 whole shoes would use a lot of Sharpies and more patience than I have!
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would put them in the machine with dylon for under a fiver in wilkos and 500g salt for 19p in Lidl.

Just bear in mind the dye colour will combine with the yellow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure