What to do!??

Options
Good Afternoon again!!

I was fortunate enough to have an email a few weeks back from KatieL's post http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4962312&highlight=one+direction+goody+bag saying I had won one of the goody bags for one Direction Tickets in Edinburgh, perfume and CD - SO big thanks!! :D

However :( after recieveing my email I was told the prize was being posted and to contact them if the prize didnt arrive by the 22nd May (The concert is on the 3rd June), so nothing arrived and I emailed saying so and got no response, i emailed again today and I got an out of office reply and the girl is now on indefinate sick leave, so i contacted the other email and a few minutes ago I got an email saying the tickets are to be collected from the ticket office and shes sorry i wasnt told this sooner.

Well this leaves me in a little bit of a situation as I live on the south coast, litrally next to the sea (i can see it from my window) so I am very reluctant to book accomidation and travel without tickets all the way to scotland and now its been left so late I very much doubt I can get the time off work, and I guess I cant even give them to friends or sell them as I dont have them!! Also I havent recieved any of the other bits promised. I just dont understand as I was led to believe they were in the post and on their way to me, tickets included - what would you do in this situation?
2018 WINS: Gin & Chocolate Hamper*Kids Shoes*Sudocrem Goodeybag*Malvern Spring Festival Tickets*Kids's Book* Bosch Soundboxx*Board Game*Friction Free Shave Subscription*Splash Out Ball*Blackberry Farm Tickets* Tickets to Chessington *Cat Treats*Seed Mix*Contour Next One *Majestic Wine Gift Card*£500 Lakeland Bundle*Shorn Wine Pouch

Comments

• pesky_princess
    Options
    I would say you are just going to have to not go then!
    Why would you leave it so late to book time off work if you actually wanted to go?
    Were you hoping to sell the tickets? is that why you are not happy because you don't have them in your hand?
    Comps for tickets to gigs and shows VERY often the tickets are to be collected at ticket office on day of show - that's not unusual at all! Infact I would say its MORE usual that this is how it works when you win tickets, than not!
    How can you moan to them that they haven't posted the tickets as if you really did want to go, this wouldn't be an issue at all whether you had them in your hand or not ;)
    Moral of the story is, only enter for tickets to things if you do want to use them or know someone that would like to go and doesn't mind collecting the tickets before they go in!
    sometimes you can send someone else and they just have to say your name when picking up the tickets - but sometimes the winner has to show id... it can be very complicated winning tickets if youre not using them yourself - not worth the agro unless you want to go and will go!
    Just use it as a learning curve! ;)
    April 2014: A CAR!!!!!! :j 60th Anniversary Edition of Playboy mag signed by Hugh Hefner/Family pass to Twinlakes Family Theme Park/Rio 2 Goodies/£15 Promod Voucher/Nivea Sensitive Prize pack/John Frieda Cosmetic bag and bits/Tickets to New Kids On The Block + Meet and Greet
  • Just_a_girl
    Just_a_girl Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Im a bit of a pesamist!! I didnt want to risk spending the money to travel and stay up there without knowing I had actually got them!! I thought they were posting them because thats what they told me - this is the line from her email
    "[FONT=&quot]We will be posting your prize to the address you supplied upon entry."
    and the fact that it said to contact if the tickets didnt arrive before the 22nd in bold writing, I aired on the side of caution - glad i did!!

I havent even been told to bring ID, no details what so ever apart from they are at the ticket office to be collected - so am i expected to collect the cd and perfume from the ticket office too?? lol
    [/FONT]
    2018 WINS: Gin & Chocolate Hamper*Kids Shoes*Sudocrem Goodeybag*Malvern Spring Festival Tickets*Kids's Book* Bosch Soundboxx*Board Game*Friction Free Shave Subscription*Splash Out Ball*Blackberry Farm Tickets* Tickets to Chessington *Cat Treats*Seed Mix*Contour Next One *Majestic Wine Gift Card*£500 Lakeland Bundle*Shorn Wine Pouch
  • Just_a_girl
    Just_a_girl Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    oh and I was hoping for tickets nearer to me but beggers cant be choosers haha!!
  • wdah
    wdah Posts: 884 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't be put off by tickets on the door - just make sure you have the number of someone to call should things go awry if you're worried. As pesky_princess said, tickets on the door, or guestlist, are very common for comp prizes.
  • amylou161202
    amylou161202 Posts: 459 Forumite
    Options
    Just make sure you take copy of winning email with you should be fine they will be waiting for you as promised :) Enjoy it will be a fab night
  • hannonle
    hannonle Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why not try calling the venue today to check if they have you down as collecting tickets from them? Then you will know that they are definitely there and it's not going to be a wasted trip. You can also ask what ID/paperwork you need to bring to claim them too.

I totally understand not wanting to travel and have the expense if you're not confident that the tickets actually exist.
    Thank you to everyone who posts on the competitions boards. You all rock!
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't travel somewhere and book a hotel without knowing for sure that the tickets would be there either. I have never actually thought about how these comp organisers do it but I suppose it makes sense but leaves winners wide open to having a pointless and expensive evening away. I can see why you are concerned as they said they had posted them; they sound a bit incompetent.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • softpad
    softpad Posts: 1,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say you are just going to have to not go then!
    Why would you leave it so late to book time off work if you actually wanted to go?
    Were you hoping to sell the tickets? is that why you are not happy because you don't have them in your hand?
    Comps for tickets to gigs and shows VERY often the tickets are to be collected at ticket office on day of show - that's not unusual at all! Infact I would say its MORE usual that this is how it works when you win tickets, than not!
    How can you moan to them that they haven't posted the tickets as if you really did want to go, this wouldn't be an issue at all whether you had them in your hand or not ;)
    Moral of the story is, only enter for tickets to things if you do want to use them or know someone that would like to go and doesn't mind collecting the tickets before they go in!
    sometimes you can send someone else and they just have to say your name when picking up the tickets - but sometimes the winner has to show id... it can be very complicated winning tickets if youre not using them yourself - not worth the agro unless you want to go and will go!
    Just use it as a learning curve! ;)

Bit harsh!! :eek:
    MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOUR
  • pesky_princess
    Options
    softpad wrote: »
    Bit harsh!! :eek:

I wasn't being harsh! Not intentionally anyway - I was giving factual info regarding ticket comp wins - I wasn't sure if the Op was aware that this was pretty much standard practice with ticket wins!
    Personally I would have not left it so late to book the time off work if I had wanted to go, and notice needed to book time off work was an issue.
    Possibly the company meant the other bits that were won were being posted, but they didn't make it clear enough in their email.
    I honestly wasn't being horrible in my post :eek: I was just trying to make the OP aware to bear in mind all what I said for future ticket competitions!
    April 2014: A CAR!!!!!! :j 60th Anniversary Edition of Playboy mag signed by Hugh Hefner/Family pass to Twinlakes Family Theme Park/Rio 2 Goodies/£15 Promod Voucher/Nivea Sensitive Prize pack/John Frieda Cosmetic bag and bits/Tickets to New Kids On The Block + Meet and Greet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure