We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Grr! Missed competition win claim deadline!

Options
Just googling my name and saw that I won a competition that ended in April for a superdry hoodie. Great I thought!

Emailed them only to be told I had a week to claim!

Facebook comps like this really annoy me, they know who I am so why not send me a DM to say I had won? Instead they announce it on their page in the hope winners dont see like me! Saves them money whilst they are racking up 'likes'.

Grr :mad:
Started comping: September 2013
Wins so far: Cunard QM2 Cruise, X Factor final tickets, £1,000 Team build day, Dinner at the Ritz with Rolls Royce limo
:D:j:T

Comments

• JessicAhh
    JessicAhh Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think they announce on their page in the hope that you will keep checking back: I guess their opinion is that if the brand / comp is important to you, you'll keep looking, even if it doesn't appear on your FB timeline... :(

Sorry you missed out. Hopefully comping fairy will bring something to make up for it :j :j
  • shellsterooney
    Options
    agree with you Neo187, they could find a way to message even if they are a page. I wasn't contacted about a £1k B&Q voucher and only managed to claim it because it had been listed on the FB winners thread.

Thanks for reminder to google name!
    Best wins: Holiday to San Francisco, Full sky package + TV, Rewind Festival tickets & Snoozebox, 5* London hotel stay, £1000 B&Q
  • wdah
    wdah Posts: 884 Forumite
    Options
    I was once emailed about a win at 2pm, and told I had to send my address by 5pm that same day - thought that was a bit cheeky, I bet loads of people would have missed the deadline.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The whole point of them using FB for this is to keep you coming back ... and if you don't claim it's no skin off their nose as they've got the prizes to give away again :)
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I found this in the CAP code on prize draws

8.28.4 how and when winners will be notified of results

this would imply they need to contact you to say that you have won or have made it clear that you would be notified on Facebook
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 May 2014 at 6:15PM
    Options
    I found this in the CAP code on prize draws

8.28.4 how and when winners will be notified of results

this would imply they need to contact you to say that you have won or have made it clear that you would be notified on Facebook

Some IPM guidelines (bolding is mine)
    Notification timelines

Social media moves quickly and Promoters are tending to allow less and less time for winners to

claim prizes.

However, promotional industry best practice advises that you should give at least 28 days from the initial winner notification (unless there are very good reasons why a shorter period should be used – for example, if the prize is tickets to an event taking place within the next few days).
    Ensure you communicate when and how winners will be notified before inviting people to enter on your Facebook page to avoid any consumer disappointment.

Be aware that very short timelines are frowned upon by the ASA, CAP and the IPM (except as noted above) and Promoters could find they receive a challenge or a complaint to the ASA.

(Nearly all The Click to wins break the guidelines with one e-mail and only 5 days to respond)
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This is another bit from the IPM
    The Copy Advice team is often asked what promoters should do if they have carried out the promotion according to the terms and conditions laid down but are unable to contact the winner. Both CAP and the ASA would expect promoters to make all reasonable efforts to contact the winner but if, despite their best endeavors, they are not able to contact the winner, promoters do not need to award the prize. Some promoters award the first prize to the runner up.
  • Idol_Eyes
    Idol_Eyes Posts: 6,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Neo187 wrote: »
    Just googling my name and saw that I won a competition that ended in April for a superdry hoodie. Great I thought!

Emailed them only to be told I had a week to claim!

Facebook comps like this really annoy me, they know who I am so why not send me a DM to say I had won? Instead they announce it on their page in the hope winners dont see like me! Saves them money whilst they are racking up 'likes'.

Grr :mad:

Hi Neo

If I enter a FB where I think I probably won't be notified - i.e. anything that isn't an App.... I click on the Like button, then tick the Get Notifications link - I know you get hundreds of notifications then but it's a quick job to whizz through them all and then once the winner has been announced, I uncheck the Get Notifications link again. Might be a bit of a ball ache, but I only enter comps I really want so it's not too much trouble for me and means I have less chance of missing a win.
    There's also the Winners Lounge and Winners Circle etc where lots of winning announcements are posted - they're worth joining too IMHO
    HTH x
    2023 £2180, 2022 £300, 2021 £1800, 2015 £3790, 2014 £4460
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills