IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free Poster maker!
Views: 50,573
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Wiggynut
Old 09-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Free Poster maker!

I was looking for threads concerning cheap film development (which I have now found!) and someone asked how to make their own poster.. ie print off parts of an image and then reassemble to make their own poster.

I now can't find that persons thread to let them know but I thought I'd share these links with everyone.

This one is free and it converts your image into segments and you can either print it off yourself or send the individual pieces to (ie photobox - use the free codes!! GOT THIS WRONG! converts to pdf and this is A4 - so better to print off on your own printer or use the local library - cheaper if black & white!) http://www.blockposters.com/

This instructables site is rather entertaining and mad! A guy on this site made a huge poster image that was mounted onto wooden blocks - I personally would just stick on the image on card or the wall - easier!

http://www.instructables.com/id/EN6F...V7JL/?ALLSTEPS

Hope that's helpful to a few people!

Light bulb moment April 07: 3,655 Oct 07: 2,220 now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date
now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!

Last edited by Wiggynut; 26-07-2007 at 2:27 PM. Reason: updated with correct info.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Wiggynut For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Mics_chick
Old 18-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I think both of these sites are fantastic

The answer to what to put on a blank wall in my son's room I think
You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
"anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
# 3
beachlou
Old 18-07-2007, 9:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi-can I ask how you send the individual pieces from block poster to photobox as they're in adobe reader? How do uoi make the file a jpg one?

Thanks

Last edited by beachlou; 18-07-2007 at 10:03 AM.
# 4
badspyro
Old 18-07-2007, 9:50 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

For my Final Major Show at collage I did similar, but with A3 prints for a 3D render.

If you want to print it off your self, and not use a special program or something (cheating lol), if you have photoshop or another graphics editing program, then you can pull out 'rulers' from the side to guide you. This can then be used to select A4 (or A3 if your lucky to have a printer that big) areas, copy them and paste them into a new document, saving eash one under a different name (i.e. bigpic01.jpg bigpic02.jpg).

From then, its a case of printing it out, and sticking it up. For that, I would sugest either getting some foam board (EXPENSIVE!!!!), or getting some thick 'backing board' (cheaper) from an art shop and using this to support the pictures before hanging or placing them. Only use corrigated cardboard if you have a dark image (the brown can show through), and if you can put up with the 'wavey' effect of the cardbord on your pic.

Also, do not, unless you have cut all the images out exactly, with perfect edges, stich them all together. It will look horrible. For A3 images, I left a 2cm gap between each peice, so I would sugest a 1cm gap for A4, otherwise it won't look like one peice.

A good way to stick this on the walls is with velcro (sticky type), as it doesn't damage the picture.

ttfn,
badspyro
The Following User Says Thank You to badspyro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
victoriajayne1987
Old 18-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to victoriajayne1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlou View Post
Hi-can I ask how you send the individual pieces from block poster to photobox as they're in adobe reader? How do uoi make the file a jpg one?

Thanks

basically i selected each pic in adobe with the select tool, pasted it into paint, and saved it from there!
A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute ...
The Following User Says Thank You to victoriajayne1987 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
beachlou
Old 18-07-2007, 10:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriajayne1987 View Post
basically i selected each pic in adobe with the select tool, pasted it into paint, and saved it from there!
Thanks very much. When I have them printed off with photobox, do I just have them printed A4 size?
# 7
ellybelly89
Old 18-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

does a similar job too
The Following User Says Thank You to ellybelly89 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Wiggynut
Old 18-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlou View Post

Thanks
There was another site like this one where you got actual jpgs and these could have been sent off to somewhere like photobox... can't find that one now - got them mixed up... so unfortunately the blockposters one does only supply a PDF file - shame - this is an option to set your printer up to do a similar thing but it's rather unreliable as I have tried in the past!

As VictoriaJane says: there are ways... you can get a pdf converter free and you then save the pics as jpgs... don't have one at the moment but I did have one from PC PRO mag DVD once - would have to search all my discs to find it

always a catch! :rolleyes:

Another way is to split up a photo yourself and then send to photobox... sorry - wish I could remember the other site that did convert them to jpgs... if I find it I'll post it up.
Light bulb moment April 07: 3,655 Oct 07: 2,220 now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date
The Following User Says Thank You to Wiggynut For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Wiggynut
Old 18-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly89 View Post
http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

does a similar job too
Thanks ellybelly89
this one has lots of examples... might do a black & white one as I'm nearly out of colour ink anyway and it will be cheaper to run off (I brought an black ink cartridge for a 1 - 9 cashback through quidco!) suppose to get a free one with it but I did it wrong... still a bargain!

I think a good graphic type image would look brilliant blown up onto an entire wall!
# 10
honeypop
Old 18-07-2007, 1:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Does anyone know the site which makes your pics all dotty or slightly blurred? I read about it ebfore on this site last year or so I think but can't find it!

This would look brilliant done first before rasterbating it I think.
# 11
JDPower
Old 19-07-2007, 4:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeypop View Post
Does anyone know the site which makes your pics all dotty or slightly blurred? I read about it ebfore on this site last year or so I think but can't find it!

This would look brilliant done first before rasterbating it I think.
I'm pretty sure that was the Rasterbator program mentioned above
# 12
Pilot1
Old 20-07-2007, 11:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool Poster Maker

If you have the Microsoft Publisher program, this will produce posters, in A4 segments, with no limit to maximum size.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilot1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
vanessaspick
Old 30-12-2008, 12:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thank you for this. It will be good for all sorts of things
Vanessa