The Great Hunt: Your MoneySaving hairdressing tips

Options
Former_MSE_Darryl
Former_MSE_Darryl Posts: 210 Forumite
edited 27 May 2014 at 7:44PM in MoneySaving polls
Your MoneySaving hairdressing tips

Our poll found a third of women are paying between £26 and £50 a time to care for their locks, with 16% forking out over £51 for haircuts. Most men get away with paying less than £10, but how can both genders save money on looking after their hair? From cutting at home to using trainee hairdressers, we'd love MoneySavers' tips.

Click reply below to share your tips. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide..

View all past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Men pay less because they are in and out in 15-20 minutes. Some women are in these places for the best part of an hour.

Check out your local college and if they have classes for hairdressers get it done for free, they are always on the hunt for models.
  • Sunny_Day
    Sunny_Day Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't bother with the glitzy town centre ones. You may well have a local hairdresser who can do just as well. I get my hair cut for £10.40 (just gone up from £9.80) and the owner recognises me as a local and gives me the pensioner rate!! (She knows I have several years to go before achieving that status!)
  • Sunny_Day
    Sunny_Day Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Used to get mine done (when I lived elsewhere) at a training salon for a top hairdresser in that city. Always supervised by fully competent trained staff. Only ever one blooper and nothing serious - trainee cut my very long hair a bit shorter one side than the other. Easily levelled out. Wouldn't have happened with shorter hair. Cost me about £7 each visit.
  • SpottyDog_2
    Options
    I go to Tesco's and get a dry cut for £12.50 and get clubcard points too!
  • xr724
    xr724 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For those gents (and maybe some ladies too (I mustn't be sexist here)) who have a number 1/2/3 cut via clippers with the relevant guard, buy your own clippers. I've been using mine for many years; for the cost of 2 or 3 vists to the barbers, you could have a lifetime of "free" cuts.
  • kayannie
    kayannie Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just had a very satisfactory trim for £5 in my local barber's shop, and I don't have a 'short back and sides! A friend recommended them to me, and a lovely lady trimmed my hair just as I wanted it. I even paid £3 less than a man would have done!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,595 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I use a mobile hairdresser who comes to my house to cut my hair. I have to sweep up my own hair but as I only pay £7, and she won't take tips, I don't mind that. Don't know what I'll do when she retires though!

Denise
  • amber_cloud
    amber_cloud Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Sunny_Day wrote: »
    Don't bother with the glitzy town centre ones. You may well have a local hairdresser who can do just as well.QUOTE]

I was going to suggest this but someone got there first! If you live in a city then try independent hairdressers in the suburbs or small towns nearby. They'll often be as good but charge a lot less. Ask friends and colleagues where they get their hair done for ideas. For example, I live in Leeds but go to a small hairdresser outside Huddersfield for my highlights and cut and it's literally half the price of a city centre salon (minus about £5 extra travel costs).
  • Lynnrc
    Lynnrc Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I have been using Group-On and KGB vouchers - I have been some very up market hairdressing saloons in London and had my hair cut and coloured, or highlighted for as little as £24. Not had a bad experience so far.
  • Clariss
    Options
    Try the local colleges that have hair and beauty salons. The students' cuts have to be signed off by the tutor. I haven't had any bad experiences so far and the maximum I have paid is £8 for a wash, cut and blow dry. My only tip is to ask for Level 3 students who already have salon experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure