Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Ostrich
    Help - Non-payment of National Insurance
    • 5th Jul 07, 6:51 AM
    Help - Non-payment of National Insurance 5th Jul 07 at 6:51 AM
    Hi Everyone
    I've hopped from Debt-free wannabe forum as I thought all you tax experts might have an answer to my problem.
    I've recently inherites some money which I have been using to pay off debts. But -and this is my biggest head in the sand confession: I stopped paying my National Insurance in 1992 as a result of stopping all my Direct Debits when I hit yet another financial crisis - yes that's how long it's being going on. I'm freelance so it wasn't taken directly from my earnings.
    Three questions:
    1. Does anyone know how much I am likely to owe now?
    2. If I do 'fess up to the Revenue do they have powers to throw me into prison/impose any kind of punishment/fine? And how likely are they to do this? I'm terrified.
    3. Also does anyone know how/if it will affect my future rights to benefits - I already fear I'm not eligible for any kind of pension. I was on the married woman's version of NI when I was younger and didn't work due to bringing up kids from 1973-1983.
    Btw I am 57.
    Thanks - and best wishes to you all.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

250Posts Today

998Users online

Martin's Twitter