Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Ostrich
    Help - Non-payment of National Insurance
    • 5th Jul 07, 6:51 AM
    Help - Non-payment of National Insurance 5th Jul 07 at 6:51 AM
    Hi Everyone
    I've hopped from Debt-free wannabe forum as I thought all you tax experts might have an answer to my problem.
    I've recently inherites some money which I have been using to pay off debts. But -and this is my biggest head in the sand confession: I stopped paying my National Insurance in 1992 as a result of stopping all my Direct Debits when I hit yet another financial crisis - yes that's how long it's being going on. I'm freelance so it wasn't taken directly from my earnings.
    Three questions:
    1. Does anyone know how much I am likely to owe now?
    2. If I do 'fess up to the Revenue do they have powers to throw me into prison/impose any kind of punishment/fine? And how likely are they to do this? I'm terrified.
    3. Also does anyone know how/if it will affect my future rights to benefits - I already fear I'm not eligible for any kind of pension. I was on the married woman's version of NI when I was younger and didn't work due to bringing up kids from 1973-1983.
    Btw I am 57.
    Thanks - and best wishes to you all.
Page 1
    • Bean Counter
    • By Bean Counter 5th Jul 07, 7:33 AM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Bean Counter
    • 5th Jul 07, 7:33 AM
    • 5th Jul 07, 7:33 AM
    Roughly how much were you earning during the period that you were not paying NI? It could be that you were below the payment threshold.
    • hopon
    • By hopon 5th Jul 07, 1:24 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    hopon
    • 5th Jul 07, 1:24 PM
    • 5th Jul 07, 1:24 PM
    Also, for pension rights etc your required no. of years contribution is reduced for the time you are eligible to receive child benefit for under 16's so more than 73-83 would probably apply.
    • sharnad
    • By sharnad 5th Jul 07, 5:25 PM
    • 8,563 Posts
    • 8,498 Thanks
    sharnad
    • 5th Jul 07, 5:25 PM
    • 5th Jul 07, 5:25 PM
    if you should have been self-employed it will be 2.00 - 2.10 a week depending on the tax year.

It is currently £109.20 a year for class 2 ni

They might have waived some for you - the best thing to do if phone and ask
    • CIS
    • By CIS 5th Jul 07, 5:26 PM
    • 8,954 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    CIS
    • 5th Jul 07, 5:26 PM
    • 5th Jul 07, 5:26 PM
    You need to get a pension forecast - www.thepensionservice.gov.uk.

Whilst you held the MWE and paid the reduced NI you wont accrue any pension rights and wont accrue any Home Responsibilities Protection.

The other issue is that for non payment (Class 2 , I presume), the revenue can force payment and then void the payments from counting as contributions for pension and benefit purposes.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 5th Jul 07, 5:33 PM
    • 8,954 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    CIS
    • 5th Jul 07, 5:33 PM
    • 5th Jul 07, 5:33 PM
    if you should have been self-employed it will be 2.00 - 2.10 a week depending on the tax year.

It is currently £109.20 a year for class 2 ni

They might have waived some for you - the best thing to do if phone and ask
    During the 90's and up to 99/2000 the Class 2 rate was in excess of £5.00 , and in the later period, £6.00.
  • Ostrich
    • 6th Jul 07, 7:09 AM
    • 6th Jul 07, 7:09 AM
    Hi Everyone - and thanks ever so for all your comments and advice.
    Bean counter: my income varied over the period from 21,604 (net profit) at worst to £33,675 best. Currently hovering around the £25,000 mark!
    CIS: class 2 I presume - Yes.
    Was out all day yesterday - today will try to pluck up courage to ring them. Deep breath.
    • hopon
    • By hopon 6th Jul 07, 11:24 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    hopon
    • 6th Jul 07, 11:24 AM
    • 6th Jul 07, 11:24 AM
    Have you been submitting tax returns for all these years? If so you should have been paying class 4 ni contributions along with your tax so your pension rights should be ok but as CIS said, get a forecast done.

You'd also have a arguement for appealing as if you have been self employed and filing returns all these years then you would have hoped they would have realised that no class 2 was being paid at some point in the last 15 years....
  • Ostrich
    • 6th Jul 07, 12:04 PM
    • 6th Jul 07, 12:04 PM
    Thanks you guys.
    Hopon: yes i have been submitting tax returns and paying class 4.
    Re: you'd have thought they would have realised. i think they did at first - i had some letters but then i moved and they stopped coming.
    Then in the last year I got some monthly bills from NI. I paid one as I had the money but then disappeared down black hole again debt-wise and ignored subsequent ones. I think the last one said I owed about £800 - which could be 7 years worth? Someone on Debtfree forum said you could only pay back 7 years worth they thought.
    Sorry reading all this makes me sound horribly irresponsible but it really has been fear and muddle that has kept me from facing up to it and contacting them. And I'm still scared witless.
  • Hoddie
    Unless you can persuade them that you didn't pay because of ignorance of your liability, or because an official error (ie they told you not to pay), for each year up until 1999/00 you'll be charged at a rate of £6.55/week or £340.60/year. For every year since you'll be charged £2.10/week or £109.20/year, except for the current year where the rate is £2.20/week.

AFAIK you will be charged for all the arrears but only the last 6 years worth of contributions will count for benefit purposes.

Class IV National Insurance contributions are not counted for benefit purposes; they are National Insurance contributions in name only.

A list of archived NI rates is available here.
    Quidco savings: £499.49 tracked, £494.35 paid.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 6th Jul 07, 11:16 PM
    • 8,954 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    CIS
    Take a look here for HMRC guidelines
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/nimmanual/NIM23000.htm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

392Posts Today

3,727Users online

Martin's Twitter