PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Selling Your Hair!

Options
stickyman
stickyman Posts: 18 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 23 December 2013 at 12:17PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi

Has anyone sold any of their hair? My wife has just had 10" cut off and I have had a quick search and found a couple of places offering to buy it but I'm hoping someone else has done this before and may have some tips and advice for us!

Many thanks

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]

Comments

• calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Brave woman! I can't offer any help though. Deffo sell able I would say though for wigs or hair pieces .
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear how you get on. I'm planning to get a serious length cut off in early Jan - hadn't thought of selling but could be a good idea. Not sure how much shorter I'm going to go yet but I'm definitely getting tired of finding the end of my plait dipped into my mug of tea like a paintbrush so its going to have to go!
  • JodyBPM
    JodyBPM Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can donate long cut hair to this charity, which use the hair to make wigs for children who have lost their hair due to cancer treatment.

http://www.littleprincesses.org.uk/fundraising/sponsored-hair-cut/
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I donated around 12" to the Little Princess Trust just over a year back. I did look at the possibility of selling it beforehand, but honestly the amount they pay didn't seem worth it compared to the benefit the kids would gain, plus there are very strict rules about how the hair is cut and packaged which seem to vary from company to company. I have a feeling that 10" might not be quite enough, or just on the limit?

I'd be interested to know how you get on though, perhaps you will have better luck finding somewhere that pays a reasonable ammount than I did.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • wondercollie
    Options
    Both my sons have donated their hair to cancer charities.

The hair has to be "virgin" and not chemically treated in any way.

I've only heard of human hair being bought in the Ukraine, India, and other parts of Asia.
  • BadlyWrittenPoem
    Options
    I second donating to the Little Princess Trust. From memory the minimum is 7".
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to donate now I know who/how. Next hair appt is set for early Jan so its going to go!
  • sams247
    sams247 Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I sold mine for £300. I donated some of that to a charity we support and paid bills with the rest. I sold it through a site, and met the person who was going to buy it. She examined my hair and came with me when I got it cut, and took it from the haordressers. The guy cutting my hair was very good, we explained what we were doing and he cut my hair according to our instructions. It went from below waist to about two inches all over. Thge lady had been ill and her hair couldnt grow back at all, so she wanted it for a wig. She had hair from another person too. The guy who cut my hair was advising her about the wig, and when it was done he styled it for her.

It was a great experience. I never regret doing it. I have to say I did get a lot of people from the site asking for my hair, but I chose the lady I felt 'right' about
      To those who are given much, much is expected
    1. heartbreak_star
      Options
      I donated mine to Little Princesses years ago too :)

Now it's far too processed to be used for anything, lol.

HBS x
      "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
    This discussion has been closed.
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
    • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 173.3K Life & Family
    • 248.4K Travel & Transport