PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Went to flip mattress over & it's covered in mold!

Options
kizzie_nikita
kizzie_nikita Posts: 652 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
edited 26 November 2013 at 2:12PM in Old style MoneySaving
I'm really upset.

My parents bought my a expensive double mattress before i left home 6 years ago, we flip it regularly (even though it's a no need to flip one).

We moved in to this house 6 months ago, so we went to flip the mattress today, to find it completely riddled (and that's an understatement) in big green mold.

I don't know what to do.. the whole underside is green, no mattress showing at all.. I've hoovered it, but it's still there, not as bad, but still really bad..

Is it salvageable? I understand now we won't be able to flip it to sleep on, as it smells and is now unusable on that side, but is there anything i can do to stop it getting worse and me having to throw it? What could i clean it with?

I have absolutely £0 to buy a new one, and i'd probably never be able to afford the price this one cost...i'm annoyed and upset because i really look after my belongings aswell.

:(

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Save, save, save, save.

Comments

• Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would seriously get rid of it as it could be a big risk to your health.

I appreciate you have no money for a new one but ask around on local FB sites/newspapers/friends etc and try to get one free.

I feel very concerned that you are sleeping on that :(
  • kizzie_nikita
    Options
    Fruball wrote: »
    I would seriously get rid of it as it could be a big risk to your health.

I appreciate you have no money for a new one but ask around on local FB sites/newspapers/friends etc and try to get one free.

I feel very concerned that you are sleeping on that :(

Im pretty shocked, as it's only about 6 years old, and 6 months ago it was perfect, i hoovered and aired it often.

We're not sleeping on the molding side, the side we sleep on is mold free, if that's any good?

How can the underside of a mattress get so moldy? It's on a steel frame which has gaps so it gets aired constantly, yet a couple of bits of fabric under the bed wasn't moldy at all? Doesn't make any sense to me.
    Save, save, save, save.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you can get it fry, you can hoover the mould off, but realistically, you can't clean it all off.

You also need to find out where the damp is or what's causing the mould too.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • kizzie_nikita
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    If you can get it fry, you can hoover the mould off, but realistically, you can't clean it all off.

You also need to find out where the damp is or what's causing the mould too.

We have a outer wall in the bedroom which has mold on it, we're waiting for the landlord to come check it out.

I've hoovered and wiped the mold, moved the mattress to the hallway to dry out for a couple nights, we will sleep on the sofa until then.

Minus the wall and the one side of the mattress nothing else has mold on :/, my parents are going to be rather annoyed.

& thank you very much for the replies xxx
    Save, save, save, save.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Claim on his insurance for a new mattress.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Fruball
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    Claim on his insurance for a new mattress.

Absolutely. As it is a rented property and there is mold that the landlord is aware of then he should absolutely be replacing your mattress!
  • kizzie_nikita
    Options
    Fruball wrote: »
    Absolutely. As it is a rented property and there is mold that the landlord is aware of then he should absolutely be replacing your mattress!

They're not 'aware' we've told them we THINK we have a leak/the bedrooms damp but we're waiting on them coming to look. :(
    Save, save, save, save.
  • Fruball
    Options
    You've told the landlord about damp/mold therefore he/she IS aware.

How long have you been waiting for them to come and investigate?
  • kizzie_nikita
    kizzie_nikita Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 November 2013 at 8:51PM
    Options
    Just a week >.<

Edit-
    Bit of back story.

Our last house we lived in (7 months ago) was really wet/damp/moldy all over the house, we ended up moving because everything fabric wise was getting wet and moldy.

Now when we moved the bed wasn't moldy, but what are the chances it started growing inside and that's why now we're here it's showing on the out side too?
    Save, save, save, save.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you want to try to get the mould off the mattress for now, try wet wipes. I'd look at borrowing a dehumidifier and running it to suck any wet out .... and see if a combination of dehumidifier, wet wipes, a very weak bleach solution .... done a few times ... might save the mattress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure