Christmas Deals Predictor discussion

Former_MSE_Michael
Former_MSE_Michael Posts: 95 Forumite
edited 12 November 2013 at 8:35PM in Shop but don't drop
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

The Christmas Deals Predictor is a calendar of when we think some of the big retailers will run their festive offers, so you can plan the best time to shop. Stores are notoriously cagey about revealing details of their promotions, but this should give you some idea of whether to hold off spending now in order to secure a discount closer to Christmas.

It'd be great if you could feedback on whether you get the offers, if you've noticed any other trends and, if you're an employee or have the inside track on a specific retailer, whether you've heard the offers are happening.

Important. While we hope these offers come to fruition, there’s no guarantee. It's solely based on our own research and we haven’t had confirmation from retailers. So please follow this up with your own research and judgement. And remember, Christmas shouldn’t be a retail festival – consider whether you can afford it and if gift-giving is necessary.

If you haven’t joined the forum yet but want to join in you can join the forum then reply to this thread by clicking "post reply" below.

Comments

• Lil_Me_2
    Lil_Me_2 Posts: 2,664 Forumite
    Ikea have already confirmed that they will be doing the buy a £25 tree and get a £20 voucher from the 6th-22nd Dec - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/about_ikea/campaigns/xmas_tree.html

The predictions has it as 3 out of 5 likelihood.
  • pmhtuk
    pmhtuk Posts: 95 Forumite
    Call me cynical, but surely the companies are looking at this and would love to prove it all wrong?
  • Sparkle_66
    Sparkle_66 Posts: 53 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 18 November 2013 at 10:32PM
    I've received my notification for the next Boots Xmas Shopping evening and its the 27 & 28 November
  • Can I be the first person to ask........can anyone please predict when the Boots 75% off sale starts? :p
  • kats53
    kats53 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    M&S have 20% off kidswear and home online today till midnight.
  • Surely the companies are looking at this and would love to prove it all wrong? can anyone please predict when the Boots 75% off sale starts? for the next Boots Xmas Shopping evening.
  • I really like this feature. Please could we have it all year round (or at least for the January sales).:j
    pmhtuk wrote: »
    Call me cynical, but surely the companies are looking at this and would love to prove it all wrong?

...and...
    dinein44 wrote: »
    Surely the companies are looking at this and would love to prove it all wrong? can anyone please predict when the Boots 75% off sale starts? for the next Boots Xmas Shopping evening.

I'm sure that the companies would love to not every do sales and always sell things at full price. But they sometimes need to dump stock and they sometimes do deals to try to pull in extra punters. I've even heard that rent or rates cycles can man that companies want to convert stock into cash at specific times of the year.

Making MSE look like they are bad at predicting things might seem like something a company might want to do, but the only people that would know that MSE made a mistake would be MSE readers. And the financial bottom line is that those companies want the cash from MSE readers.

I kind of think that companies would be more motivated to do the opposite thing and leak a story about a discount to MSE (at the last moment of course) so that MSE posts the story and encourages MSE fans to queue up and hand over their cash.

That is the beauty of this thing. We (the customers) know what they are doing. They (the companies) know what we are doing. It all turns into some sort of poker game where both sides have to guess what their opponent is going to do. And MSE is helping us to count the cards in the deck! So we don't know exactly what they are going to do, but we can have a better guess than we would have guessed without MSE to help us!:T
    Longtime fan of MSE and the good advice given out here. :hello:
    Mostly looking for free and cheap resources for tabletop RPGs.
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can I be the first person to ask........can anyone please predict when the Boots 75% off sale starts? :p

Wednesday 15th January by my reckoning :money:

Not expecting there to be much left though as stuff was heavily reduced before Christmas but hope I'm wrong :p

:xmastree::xmastree::xmassign::xmastree::xmastree::xmassign::xmastree::xmastree::xmassign:
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I really like this feature. Please could we have it all year round (or at least for the January sales).:j

...and...

I'm sure that the companies would love to not every do sales and always sell things at full price. But they sometimes need to dump stock and they sometimes do deals to try to pull in extra punters. I've even heard that rent or rates cycles can man that companies want to convert stock into cash at specific times of the year.

Making MSE look like they are bad at predicting things might seem like something a company might want to do, but the only people that would know that MSE made a mistake would be MSE readers. And the financial bottom line is that those companies want the cash from MSE readers.

I kind of think that companies would be more motivated to do the opposite thing and leak a story about a discount to MSE (at the last moment of course) so that MSE posts the story and encourages MSE fans to queue up and hand over their cash.

That is the beauty of this thing. We (the customers) know what they are doing. They (the companies) know what we are doing. It all turns into some sort of poker game where both sides have to guess what their opponent is going to do. And MSE is helping us to count the cards in the deck! So we don't know exactly what they are going to do, but we can have a better guess than we would have guessed without MSE to help us!:T

I agree -
    They would rather have cash in the checkouts than dead stock sat in the warehouse, stuff is heavily marked up in the first place - they still make a profit at 75% off.

Then as mentioned - all the extra customers that are dragged through the door and new customers through word of mouth means it's worth it for them - imagine how many happy shoppers Boots have after the 75% sale, makes people very loyal to Boots and loyal happy shoppers & new shoppers through word of mouth is priceless to them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure