Free Home Electric Vehicle charging package and nationwide charging

Options
sarah1972
sarah1972 Posts: 18,960 Senior Ambassador
Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
edited 23 July 2013 at 8:53PM in Freebies (no spend required)
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

You dont even have to be a British Gas customer !

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/blog/articles/british-gas-launches-free-nationwide-electric-vehicle-charging-package

resize_650_289.jpg In our quest to make owning and running an electric vehicle easier and more affordable, we’re excited to announce that together with the Government’s Office for Low Emission Vehicles and Chargemaster, we have launched a free electric vehicle charging package that will include a home charge point and access to the nationwide POLAR public charging network.
Available until 31st March 2015, the package includes at no extra cost*:
• Installation of a free 16 Amp data enabled home charge point that will help you keep track of your energy use and an earthing connection for ensured safety.
• Access to the POLAR network until the end of March 2014. Giving you the use of more than 1,800 public charging points across the country to keep you going on the road.
• A home-suitability survey by a fully-trained British Gas ele

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: We've not been able to confirm the details with British Gas so check this is for you before you sign up. Thanks to sarah1972 for sharing this offer.
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you don't even have to own an electric car for this offer?
  • daveian
    Options
    wow getting mine fitted on friday ..... can now look for a new car :j
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    daveian wrote: »
    wow getting mine fitted on friday ..... can now look for a new car :j

We had one fitted this week - neatly done and looks good. But at the mo we only have a diesel - so have no idea if it actually works!

We do intend to use it in due course - but I have been looking at electric car pricing and they are, at present, rather expensive, even second-hand.

Haven't done the sums for running costs yet though....
  • funnyguy
    funnyguy Posts: 2,561 Forumite
    Options
    We are getting ne fitted so we canuse the lawnmower aand hedge trmmer for free.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Nope. The fitting is exclusively a plug of the 'Type 2' variety which only works on some EV's (and precious little else).
  • Zanderman
    Options
    funnyguy wrote: »
    We are getting ne fitted so we canuse the lawnmower aand hedge trmmer for free.
    Buzby wrote: »
    Nope. The fitting is exclusively a plug of the 'Type 2' variety which only works on some EV's (and precious little else).

Funnyguy may be being funny of course but just in case...
      as Buzby says the fitting is only for electric cars (it physically wouldn't fit a lawnmower/hedge trimmer, is 16 Amp so would fry it, and needs matching circuitry from a car to even render it live)...
    and
      the free bit is having it fitted - the actual electricity is paid for by you as normal...
  • Tedson
    Tedson Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    There are far more pedelecs (electrically assisted bicycles and trikes) than e-cars. There would be far more point to the supply of charging places for these than for the few e-cars that are on the road. Pedelecs provide assisted exercise for unfit/elderly/partially disabled people. There could perhaps be a re-think? Cars and pedelec compatable, perhaps?
  • Zanderman
    edited 12 August 2013 at 9:54PM
    Options
    Tedson wrote: »
    There are far more pedelecs (electrically assisted bicycles and trikes) than e-cars. There would be far more point to the supply of charging places for these than for the few e-cars that are on the road. Pedelecs provide assisted exercise for unfit/elderly/partially disabled people. There could perhaps be a re-think? Cars and pedelec compatable, perhaps?

I think the point of this exercise is to encourage more people to buy and use electric cars. By having a roll-out of cheap (free installation) charging points for domestic properties more people may use them, directly or indirectly. And note that is not a roll-out of new charging points in the wider townscape etc - so isn't about making more charging units publicly available

There may well be more pedelecs about - but those are a different subject altogether (and presumably don't need anything beyond a normal socket to charge? But I may be wrong there).

They aren't the target of this project, and neither are (necessarily) unfit/elderly/disabled people. Neither (afaik) is this about extending a public network. This is just, and simply, about encouraging replacing traditional fuel cars with low-emission ones by helping at domestic properties - which is undoubtedly a good thing, though a long way from significant take-up.

But if you really want to suggest a re-think you should be writing to the Government (it's their scheme not MSE's) rather than suggesting it here!
  • Guinness-Cat
    Options
    I had one of there fitted a couple of weeks ago - although I would only encourage people who are after it to charge cars rather just as a free-be, as there are people having to wait at the moment who really need to have them installed as are currently charging their car from normal sockets.

If you are a electric car user - please note that there are other suppliers out there with possibly better deals e.g. zero carbon would can supply a 32 amp socket fully funded by the grant: http://zerocarbonworld.org/news/get-your-free-home-charging-station-today
  • Arthurian
    Arthurian Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just looked at the zerocarbonworld site. It doesn't actually specify that the installation is free, does it? Just that the socket is free and they will arrange for an installer to visit. Has anyone had one installed with them yet? Was installation actually free?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure